The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. The heater controls on my '90 Esprit SE, the two large ones (hot/cold & direction), are really, REALLY heavy to turn. Sometimes I almost have to use my 2 hands to make them turn. Is that normal? If not, what can I fix/check? Cables? Valves? Vacuum? Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
They shouldn't be that hard to turn. You most likely have a bend or kink in the cables. Pull out the panel and make sure the cables have clear, relatively straight runs. Also check at the far ends to be sure the runs are clean there too. My bet is the cables behind the control panel are getting bent when the panel gets pushed into place. This needs fixing or eventually you'll break the plastic knobs.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
When you get in there, a shot or 2 of silicone lubricant on the inner cable can also help loosen things up. It should not take more than 2 fingers to turn the knobs.
David Teitelbaum

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
If the knob is hard to turn, chances are your heater control valve is sticking. If you try to force it, there's a strong chance you'll kink and break the cable.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had a similar problem also. Ended up cutting a larger access hole in the bonnet firewall for access to the heater valve. Replaced it with a new valve. After removal of the old valve I was able to loosen it up for use as a backup.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Had a similar problem also. Ended up cutting a larger access hole in the bonnet firewall for access to the heater valve. Replaced it with a new valve. After removal of the old valve I was able to loosen it up for use as a backup.
Is this something you have a photo of? I dont get any heat and I think I need to access the valve and get it moving again. I have not tried yet but it looks tight up there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here are the 3 steps of removing the new aluminum access panel to the heater valve. Obviously the hole is bigger than the stock opening. It's still an adventure getting the valve out given the small opening. The 4th picture is a picture of the old heater valve.
The new valve did differ a bit in configuration but still fit fine.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts