The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Lotus dealer has a 2012 Evora NA with 3,000 miles newly in stock that I'm going to test drive next week. My impression from reading these forums is that these very low mileage early year Evoras aren't the best buy compared to say a 20,000 - 40,000 mile car where some of the know potential defects have been fixed under warranty. Clearly this one won't have a warranty anymore so anything special to look at or should I just review the links in the buyer's guide?

They are asking $49,900 for it which personally seems high for a non S but wanted to check it out anyway since it's local to me. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why is it such low mileage? - No off the road period for accident repair.

Check if it has all factory recalls carried out. Main one was for a replacement oil pipe that could leak on to the engine.

It would be nice if it had the later 2012 onwards gear cables.
Clutch master cylinder was replaced under warranty for some models around then.
Air con could give problems on earlier cars. Check that it is working at both high temp setting and low temp.
Service history for oil changes and brake fluid change, even in a low mileage car. Moisture can be absorbed standing still.

Good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I moved back to the US from Dubai after owning two Evoras there, I was looking to get back into one again after a test drive of a used Vette made me realize just how much better the Evora is. Once I started seeing the prices for used Ss, it just didn’t make sense to me. With the factory rebates on the 400s bringing new cars down into the $70+K range, I couldn’t justify buying a 4 or 5 year old car for 50+k. You can get a 400, very lightly used for less than 70k now. If the money‘s not there to jump up to the 400, then find the best deal—which as you noted is not an NA at 50K.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Have dealer run the VIN to see if updates were all done. If price is right (40K) you could have a sweetheart deal esp if you want a NA to do straight motor mods on. Its not like an S is 2 secs faster etc and I have owned both.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ByJovebyJingle I agree with you that buying a 5 year old used Evora for $50k when you can get a new 400 for $70k isn't the best deal. That's only $4,000 in depreciation yearly so if I could sell one for $50K after 5 years of ownership I'd be tempted to take that deal. It seems that used Evoras aren't so easy to sell at that price so I'm not sure I could buy a new one and expect to get that price a few years later. I'm hoping to find something in the mid $30k but happy there a local one I can check out.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Make your offer..Its fall!! Do it at end of month when quotas need to be met.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked it out today -- nice car and seemingly in good condition. It was at a dealer in North Carolina unsold for 5 years until this local dealer bought at auction in 2018. It was sold to a local customer who then sold it back to them in < 1 year. It has < 4,000 miles.

There's only one oil change listed in the car fax (from 2017). Is that a cause for concern? Mileage based no need to change the oil but I've also read that low mileage cars should have some timed based (every 6 months) oil changes. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Checked it out today -- nice car and seemingly in good condition. It was at a dealer in North Carolina unsold for 5 years until this local dealer bought at auction in 2018. It was sold to a local customer who then sold it back to them in < 1 year. It has < 4,000 miles.

There's only one oil change listed in the car fax (from 2017). Is that a cause for concern? Mileage based no need to change the oil but I've also read that low mileage cars should have some timed based (every 6 months) oil changes. Should I be worried?
The car need new fluid all around, includes coolant, new battery and tires. At this price I would demand some sort of limited warranty that cover clutch and electric issues.
My 2010 65k miles is reliable as minivan, but that's because the previous owners fixed everything at the first 30k miles. I did the shift box and cables upgrade, and I highly recommend it.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
NAH, just needs service. Oil doesn't go bad but brake fluid does!! If its as you would want one, throw a lowball out there to start negotiations. Sounds like an eager seller might exist here. These are not as exotic as you think when it comes to powertrain. Think Camry reliability.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When I moved back to the US from Dubai after owning two Evoras there, I was looking to get back into one again after a test drive of a used Vette made me realize just how much better the Evora is. Once I started seeing the prices for used Ss, it just didn’t make sense to me. With the factory rebates on the 400s bringing new cars down into the $70+K range, I couldn’t justify buying a 4 or 5 year old car for 50+k. You can get a 400, very lightly used for less than 70k now. If the money‘s not there to jump up to the 400, then find the best deal—which as you noted is not an NA at 50K.

A 400 Lightly used for less than 70k? Good luck to the OP lol

·
Registered
588 Posts
ByJovebyJingle I agree with you that buying a 5 year old used Evora for $50k when you can get a new 400 for $70k isn't the best deal. That's only $4,000 in depreciation yearly so if I could sell one for $50K after 5 years of ownership I'd be tempted to take that deal. It seems that used Evoras aren't so easy to sell at that price so I'm not sure I could buy a new one and expect to get that price a few years later. I'm hoping to find something in the mid $30k but happy there a local one I can check out.

You will never find a decent Evora NA for mid 30s. Unless you are willing to fix it up and it will include tons of miles.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A 400 Lightly used for less than 70k? Good luck to the OP lol
That‘s what they are going for. The OP wouldn’t need any luck, unless he was trying to sell his lightly used 400 for more than 70K. Here are the advertised prices. Needless to say, they aren’t selling for that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So I figure I'd chime in on this topic.
I picked up my 2011 NA with 1500 miles 3 years ago for 49k. I think my deal was good. As I still had a factory warranty for a month or so. (Which was used alot the first month) the car sat because the PO was a car collector and never drove it.

These cars do not like to just sit around leads to all sorts of weird issues. My car needed door latch, trunk latch, airbag cover, ac evaporator and clutch master. (all under warranty)

Once all this was sorted and I drove the car alot(almost 50k now) I've had minimal issues since. I think the price is high considering age and miles personally. When I picked up my car the 400s were just hitting the shores. Now the 400s have been here and their prices have settled out on the second hand market so I'd take that I to account aswell.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That‘s what they are going for. The OP wouldn’t need any luck, unless he was trying to sell his lightly used 400 for more than 70K. Here are the advertised prices. Needless to say, they aren’t selling for that.
Only one for less than $70K and that has 16k miles...the rest are not going to be sold for less than 71-72k with those low miles.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Only one for less than $70K and that has 16k miles...the rest are not going to be sold for less than 71-72k with those low miles.
You don’t think you can negotiate $1500 off a car that nobody wants to buy? I know you can, because I discussed trading in for a 2018 with a dealer. They are selling 2017s for $69K or less. But believe as you will.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
A dealer with inventory usually knows the difference between cost to carry 6 more months (till spring) and cost to unload.

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
You want a new car? Call Secor Lotus with a low hard number as they are finally trying to sell 2 NEW 2014 S's and a 2013 IPS Na car. Getting desperate actually. Up until now, the salesperson didn't understand the post above till a new GM came onboard.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So I figure I'd chime in on this topic.
I picked up my 2011 NA with 1500 miles 3 years ago for 49k. I think my deal was good. As I still had a factory warranty for a month or so. (Which was used alot the first month) the car sat because the PO was a car collector and never drove it.

These cars do not like to just sit around leads to all sorts of weird issues. My car needed door latch, trunk latch, airbag cover, ac evaporator and clutch master. (all under warranty)

Once all this was sorted and I drove the car alot(almost 50k now) I've had minimal issues since. I think the price is high considering age and miles personally. When I picked up my car the 400s were just hitting the shores. Now the 400s have been here and their prices have settled out on the second hand market so I'd take that I to account aswell.

You sound like my Evora Doppleganger! Same for me tho higher miles. Even tho the car was "older" I was able to get a 4yr warranty on it. I had all my issues fixed under that warranty (about $15k worth) AC compressor, MC, trans cables, window/door locks, parking sensors etc all done under 35k miles. I am now at 50k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts