The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be invading from CelicaVille, but I've noticed that folks here are really serious about their mechanicals and tend to do their own work quite a bit. Let me know if I'm not necessarily welcome....

Ok, I have the 2ZZ-GE, and had to do a full replacement of the valve shims. Thanks to all here who educated me about measuring techniques! I dropped #00 shims on all the primary (roller) valves, measured clearances, and ordered eight new shims. All four on the intake bank are #18. So far, so good.

My problem is that, having used a magnet stick to install the four new shims largely by feel, I find that #1 and #4 are....missing.

The gallery drain is down back of #4 exhaust, so I'm relatively sure there's no way of having dropped these down into the pan, and having spent six or so hours over three days going over the valve train with magnet, light and picks, I'm reasonably sure they're not hiding up there anywhere. I clearly remember the sequence of installing them, and have to believe they somehow got knocked off the magnet after not seating properly on the valve stems.

Anyone ever have this happen? Where were they hiding when you found them? I have a road trip to take this coming weekend, and the last thing I want to do is discover that a valve shim was hiding until it ate the engine...

PS - no issues with the exhaust bank. They are all where they belong.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Followup nr. 1 - the #1 intake shim was found via borescope, in a place where my eye apparently can't see. If you look to the image attached, you'll see a pick holding up the rocker arm. If you were to follow the line of the pick down into that tiny little pocket behind the spring and under the #2 cam bearing, there was its hiding place. The shim has been reinstalled. Charging up the borescope now to look in similar places around #4.

Thank you for looking, and hopefully I'll mark this finished in an hour or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Followup nr. 2 - the #4 intake shim was found in a similar location. Problem solved. Again, thanks for the eyes on this.

So, if you ever have a similar situation, where a valve shim disappears without a trace, buy or borrow a borescope and look in the pockets behind the springs where your eyeballs can't see. Worst part of it is that you're convinced that you can see everywhere - I know it seemed that way to me. The casting overlaps and you don't see the pocket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts