The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VF Latest Customer Project Completion & Congrats!​
The Beginning!

Late last year we were approach by a local SCCA , NASA and Time Trial racer by name of Scott to install a Supercharger Kit on his car. He previously was very competitive in his class with a relatively bone stock (except for Tires and Brake Pads) Elise throughout the year. The season was ended for him with an engine failure due to oil starvation. At this point he figured this was perfect time to do the build.

The Resurrection!

As 2009 started the build plan was put together. A decision was made to install another factory built short block with a few goodies installed like a Moroso Oil Pan, Catch Cans, ACT HD Clutch and Lightened Flywheel. Again, he did not want to be thrown into a class which was over run with +600 whp vehicles. So the Stage 1 package was right up his alley. He also chose to do a custom tune for his vehicle. In general for someone to compete as much as Scott, this would be a track only car. Nope, this car is driven 100 miles a day commute to work, to the track and back home. Ultimately, this is a true street car.

Goal Log 29!

As we pull all of the work together to get the car back together for Log 29 we ended up spending some late nights here at the shop on the dyno trying to dial in the car absolutely perfectly for Scott.

Here is a picture of the car on the dyno. I think it is 2:00 am at this point and I have a flight booked to go to Nevada at 5:30 am.

Dyno

Special Delivery!
The car was delivered to Scott on Monday. Shortly after that I received a text from him saying “I am now breaking the tires loose, on corner exit!” I think he is happy?!

It's On!

Shake Down Runs- Barber Motorsport Park
Scott, was pretty hyped about getting to Barber Motorsport Park to finally get a good flogging of his newly transformed vehicle. This also gave him track time previous to LOG29.

Placed 6th Overall – Fastest Time – 1.42.921

Redline Time Attack – New Jersey Motorsport Park

This was a 3 day event which included two practice days on Friday and Saturday at New Jersey Motorsport Park, a new facility on the east coast. Needless to say it is just a beautiful track. Friday night Scott made the trip to the track and some how he forgot to put a 4th lug bolt on one of his wheels. He decided not to practice, a wise decision because he could have lost a wheel on the track. Scott decides to go back home and return on Sunday. He is not going to let a little dilemma keep him from racing so he takes the 3 hour drive back to Maryland to return on Sunday. On this trip I decide to accompany him on his trip back up to the track. We arrive at 5 pm, ready to go this time. We set the Go Pro Camera up and he goes out on the Track for his 2 practice sessions. Every lap the time times kept dropping. I am sure he wanted to get another practice session in but the schedule did not allow it. Time Attack On!

Placed 2nd in Class – Fastest Time – 1.38.748

The unfortunate news is that he crashed the car on the last lap. Which was a bummer. He was ok after the little encounter with the tire wall. After the medics checked him out he was cleared to go back to his wife and wait for his car to arrive at the pit. The damage wasn’t too bad but probably will still be a bit costly.

Congrats to Scott on his Trophy!

[email protected] :shift:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the graph engine power or wheel hp? I know it says "flywheel" but I've seen people who mess with the dynos to make it read wheel or engine (depending on what they want)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
it is "rotor power", because the wheels are removed for a dynapack

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the graph engine power or wheel hp? I know it says "flywheel" but I've seen people who mess with the dynos to make it read wheel or engine (depending on what they want)
This is wheel horsepower or also reffered to as at the hub. The way you can tell if someone is manipulating Dynapack readings are by the TCF. This can be used to set a calculated drivetrain loss. Some people like to assume a correction factor like 15% or 25% loss which would reflect in a 1.15 or 1.25 correction factor being applied. We do not do this, ever!

Jermaine @VF

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks to VF!

My thanks to Jermaine, Mark & crew for putting together this upgrade to my Elise. It's been a blast tracking it with the supercharger - not that it wasn't a blast before - but now as Jermaine mentioned there is a whole new dimension to it: power oversteer! ... particularly on the Toyo R1R street tires I used for the Redline Time Attack [street RWD class].

Unfortunately my little incident caused me to miss an EMRA time trial at Monticello last Friday, but I'll have the car back up and running for the next round back at NJMP and/or the next NASA time trial at VIR. :shift: Time to kick ass and take names.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts