The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have an '06 Lotus Exige. I feel that it just misses the little extra performance I want. There are many great threads here regarding supercharged kits, and from what I can understand, the VF Supercharger kit is among the better ones. In this matter I do have a couple of questions:

A. How hard is the installation? How much time is normal for the job?

B. Is there anything I should really consider to get which is not included in the kit?

C. Is it neccessary to replace the OEM clutch?

D. How hard is it to replace the stock clutch? Anyone have a step by step instruction/writethrough or anything for the Exige S2 models? How many hours is normal for the clutchjob?

E. Which clutch is the best? I see that "ACT Street Disk with a HD Pressure Plate" is among the recommened

F. I would guess that a clam removal is recommended if taking both jobs at the same time?

Thank you very much for helping :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
All of those questions have been answered in various threads already. But for the good of search, here ya go. :)

a. it's a weekend job if it's your first time
b. clutch, arp flywheel bolts if you do flywheel, also mwr slave pin.
c. see b unless you are just going with stage1 then you might be fine
d. tougher than the sc install. Yes, search there is a thread on it. Takes me 6-7hrs to do the clutch and flywheel
e. That is what most use and no ill effects thus far. I would go southbend next time though, just not an ACT fan.
f. for the sc yes, clutch no. That can all be done from below.

Would also be a good time for moroso oil pan and engine mounts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im a newb, but I can assure you if this is your first SC install you wont do it in a weekend. See my posts. Missing hardware, store runs, confusion, waiting for advice and being careful will make it take 2 weekends, maybe more. A pro familiar with the car does it in 8 hours. They say a pro can take the clam off in 2 hours, took me like 6. Gas pump change should be 2 hours, took me like 5. SC should be like 6 hours, took me like 25 with endless errands for missing tools, etc. Still have to put the clam back on and install battery. There better not be troubleshooting..wife is getting tired of my garage time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies guys.

Install:
I believe that the installation of the SC kit should be OK. I am more conserned about a clutch replacement that seems to be a hell of a job. No Lotus dealer in Norway, and only regular familycars-servicepoints in the are. They know nothing about Lotus and it is propably better to do it my self, but again - I believe this is a bit to much trouble for the few extra HP in the Stage2 kit.

I have still not decided what to do - believe that a VF Supercharger Stage1 would be my choice if the stock clutch will hold in this setup.
Anyone who have tried the stock clutch on a VF Stage1 kit?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thank you for the replies guys.

Install:
I believe that the installation of the SC kit should be OK. I am more conserned about a clutch replacement that seems to be a hell of a job. No Lotus dealer in Norway, and only regular familycars-servicepoints in the are. They know nothing about Lotus and it is propably better to do it my self, but again - I believe this is a bit to much trouble for the few extra HP in the Stage2 kit.

I have still not decided what to do - believe that a VF Supercharger Stage1 would be my choice if the stock clutch will hold in this setup.
Anyone who have tried the stock clutch on a VF Stage1 kit?
You could try your luck at your local Toyota dealer... /shrug

·
Registered
566 Posts
You should be fine with the VF Stage I on the stock clutch....I ran it for a while and my clutch looked fine when I upgraded it to support further stages. But if you can, its better to replace to clutch while you are doing the initial VF install.

I love my Southbend clutch...the TZ full face with the stronger SS pressure plate is a great combo.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am in the middle of doing a clutch upgrade (ACT HDSS) and am doing a little each night. I probably have 3 - 4 hours in it so far. I am trying to follow the service manual (that I downloaded). Tonight I attempt to pull the drive shafts out. Is everybody like me, in that they have 2 or 3 "slide hammer with a forked ends" lying around? I think my "shfe" is going to be a crow bar.
My (tenative) plans are to hook an engine hoist to the top of the engine, disconnect the trans and motor mounts and lower it with the hoist. If anybody who has done a clutch replacement, sees a problem with this, let me know. I haven't looked yet, but I assme there are at least a couple of places to screw in bolts to where the lift can attach.
Rick

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's not needed but I guess you can do that rstutts...

I just got a harbor freight tranny jack and lowered it like everyone else. I've pulled my tranny out three times now and have never used any special equipment other than the tranny jack, slide hammer, and front axle pullers.

Took me about 8 hours the first time to pull, replace, and put back together. I can probably do it in 6 now just from the practice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got the left axle out by using a ratchet strap for constant pressure and a small pry bar. I decided to go on and take the motor mounts off with a floor jack under it. I may not should have done this, but I took the whole mount bracket off the rear and right side. It looks as though I can take the cover off now, but my wife called me in for supper. Guess I will start back on it tommorow morning.
Thanks for any info.
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where do you guys bou your ACT clutches? Which is recommended for regular street use with a VF stage I or VF Stage II kit? Will the pedal become a lot "harder" and more touchy since it get more grip ?

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
Where do you guys bou your ACT clutches? Which is recommended for regular street use with a VF stage I or VF Stage II kit? Will the pedal become a lot "harder" and more touchy since it get more grip ?
Hello Michael,

We Recommend a Clutch for Stage II, we use the and sell the ACT Heavy Duty Pressure plate with the street disk. Works very well and it doesn't change the characterstics of the clutch pedal by much. This is the advantage of a hydraulic clutch system. The pedal effort does not multiply when you upgrade the pressure plate. Stage 1, you should be ok if you aren't doing drag lunches.

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts