The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The supercharger has been a little rattely since I installed it, but I think it was normal. Then this last week it got extra quite, you almost couldn't even hear the supercharger except for the whine when boosting. I drove to work last night and it was good, and then when I left work this morning it suddenly sounded terrible. Very loud rattle coming from the unit. It "pulses" the rattle at idle and cruising. Then as soon as you go about 30% throttle, or when it tries to go positive, it goes to a constant harsh rattle. The whine doesnt show up nearly as much as it normally does when you try to boost. Just the very loud rattle.

** Just uploaded the video it might take a while to be playable **
YouTube - sc rattle

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sounds like you're making frozen margaritas.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Did you check the brackets to make sure nothing is loose? Also the pulley could be rubbing on one of the brackets. Mine did that for a short while then went away on its own.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had to replace the coupler (some refer to it as "the donut" ) with an aftermarket upgrade. Had the rattling sounds and the upgrade worked and has double the mileage of the stock unit with no noise...yet. :) Riviera with the same type blower, just bigger...the next model up. I just removed the nose while it was in the car.

Check with the guys below...they'll have a good idea of what it is especially if you play the sound bite for them. That way you can have some verification of what it may be. Since you've had it for a short while (warranty?), you'd be better off swapping for a new one, if it isn't some other issue.

Magnuson Products Telephone Number 800-648-6436 or 805-642-8833.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
eek, that sounds like SC vanes smashing together. My BWR is relatively silent, slight whine at idle. Time to test your warranty! Sorry :(

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
When I had my vf2 installed at VF in Maryland, the clutch shop that VF used did not tighten the nut on the driver's side engine mount sufficiently. The nut and bolt subsequently fell off at some point. I only realized this after the engine began surging and making funky noises that sounded off. Your sound seems to be emanating from the sc though.
Check all your bolts, especially if you installed motor mount spacers or s111 mounts.

BTW the bracket that hold the SC nose in place came loose at some point as well. The bolt that connects the sc bracket to the engine iron mount was missing. I only realized this because again, the motor was surging and sounded off. Check everything...
-Robert

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
The supercharger has been a little rattely since I installed it, but I think it was normal. Then this last week it got extra quite, you almost couldn't even hear the supercharger except for the whine when boosting. I drove to work last night and it was good, and then when I left work this morning it suddenly sounded terrible. Very loud rattle coming from the unit. It "pulses" the rattle at idle and cruising. Then as soon as you go about 30% throttle, or when it tries to go positive, it goes to a constant harsh rattle. The whine doesnt show up nearly as much as it normally does when you try to boost. Just the very loud rattle.

** Just uploaded the video it might take a while to be playable **
YouTube - sc rattle
Make sure the bracket on the passenger side is secure and there is sufficient tension.

Keep me posted.

Thanks,

Jermaine~

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tie rods were a little loose, but the nose bracket and bolts on the manifold were still tight. Grabbing the supercharger and shaking caused the whole engine to move around, with no noticable ratteling from the SC and engine not being solid.

I'm gonna take the belt off and use a power drill to turn the supercharger to see if it rattles on its own. What direction does the engine rotate when looking at the drive pulley? Counter clockwise?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to working on the car. I quickly discovered what happened. The pulley is freely rortating on the supercharger nose. So I'm guessing the little key or the pulley stripped out. Now the big problem is how to remove the pulley from the nose? I can rotate the supercharger by the nut on the end, but with the pulley freely rotating I have nothing to turn against the nut.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I finally got around to working on the car. I quickly discovered what happened. The pulley is freely rortating on the supercharger nose. So I'm guessing the little key or the pulley stripped out. Now the big problem is how to remove the pulley from the nose? I can rotate the supercharger by the nut on the end, but with the pulley freely rotating I have nothing to turn against the nut.
Get a strap-wrench, might need two people.

(take care not to damage the pulley)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
This will make it more clear. Note the nut on the end.

(Just uploaded, give it a little time to process)
YouTube - SC Loose Pulley
Maybe I'm confused then....

On the MP62 that came with the Katana kit there is a "keyhole" in the pulley, that fits on a little notch on the nose...

Your pulley appears to be on rather loosely, is this intentional? or did you manage to loosen the bolt a bit, which created some play in the pulley?

if not.... that might be your rattle right there.

Edit; I just re-read everything you wrote above, apparently I'm dumb... I have no idea how in the world you would get that off...

but that's probably your rattle :p

Hope it was the pulley that got stripped, not the SC housing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sounds like the the sc nose bracket clamp bolt head is rubbing on the pulley.

Is the nose bracket steel or alum?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I'm probably stating the obvious: that supercharger wasn't making boost.

You may end up removing the casting on top of the supercharger in order to hold the blades still (carefully!) while removing the pulley nut.

At any rate, can you get a pneumatic impact wrench in there for when you can hold the blades in place?

Q: if you push the pulley toward the SC, does it grab at all, or is it still free to spin?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Even if you get the pully off, you're probably going to have to pull the super charger. The key on the shaft is probably broken and the shaft needs to be replaced.

Sorry.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I cannot see the u-tube here, but an impact will allow you to zip the pulley nut off.

A couple notes:
-It's NOT recommended to use an impact on that shaft. Tread lightly here. If you want to avoid disassembly of the blower snout, an impact is going to probably be your only option.
-If it's turning on the shaft freely, my guess is there was no key installed to begin with- accidents happen... If that's the case, you may luck out and be able to just install the key and reassemble... Perhaps you would need a new pulley and hopefully not need a new shaft??

Good luck,

Phil

·
Crazy Car Guy
526 Posts
The key way is a simple press in 1/4 moon piece of stainless it generally doesn't move. Unless you have difficulty putting the pulley on in the shaft. Which is one of the reason why they don't recommend to use impact guns and or to bang the pulley on with a mallet.

I would not recommend removing the the nose cone without pulley the complete supercharger off of the car. There is a libricant inside of that nose cone area which cannot be contained if the Supercharger is laying on it side when you remove 10mm bolts that hold it onto the charger body.

If the shaft is not damaged at all we can get you a replacement key to reinstall on the nose cone.

Jermaine~

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Ack! That's not good:(... There's a reason for that key failing. They key won't just grenade for the sake of grenading... Looks like the pulley was rubbing pretty bad on the nose bracket. The wear is evident on the pulley itself and on the nose bracket in your pictures.

Hope you're back and running soon...

Cheers,

TP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts