The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Katana kit with the updated tune by Charlie. This car makes around 225rwhp. So far it has been completely reliable and have nothing bad to say about it. I'd even argue that the car drives better than stock.

I am now considering the VF stage2. I wonder how many people have installed it? How does it drive? How does it compare to the Katana? How's drivability?

Basically I would like to hear fom current stage 2 owners.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, I am a VF stage II owner. I ordered the kit at the end of March but I didn't receive anything yet...Hopefully it will be here on Monday or Tuesday...
I'll install it as soon as I can and will let you know what I think about it. You will be welcome to take a ride...
Concerning the ECU reflash, Charlie called me when he received my ECU and ship it back to me two days after...!

·
Registered
566 Posts
The intercooler is great....especially the placement. It gets lots of air and helps to keep more of your SC'd power on the road and track where it actually counts, not just on the dyno. I would recommend mounting a puller fan to help when in the pits or in traffic if you want.

My car has been very reliable but initally I was a little taken back by a weird idle issue that was causing my car to rev up and down and soon caused me to stall at almost every light. Charlie recently found the idle issues were cause by a sooty/malfunctioning o2 sensor. I simply replaced it and my car hasnt stalled once...drivability is excellent once again. I think it got so sooty when tuning with Jermaine for the Stage III and new fuel pump. Initial dyno runs were super rich so I bet that had something to do with it.

Anyway I would recommend upgrading, its worth it...and the folks at TurboXS/Vision Function are good guys to deal with.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
VF2
Overall... great grouping of parts.

Fuel pump loud...not good
SC loud...but good loud
power tremendous, to put it into perspective I would say 0-60 arrives at 4.0 seconds easily (maybe less)
idle's better than NA stock
driveability better than NA because of immediate TORQUE on demand in low revs

be sure to get a full face clutch plate, I got the Fidanza kevlar 3.2 and don't car for the chatter

-Robert

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I may be ordering one in 2-6weeks, I am mostly interested in how thorough the manual is now.

I've read through a couple of threads that go over short comings of the manual, and am hoping this is being, or has already been, remedied. I'm not super good at working on cars, and have a tendency to break random little tidbits unless I know exactly what to do with them.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Anyone of you tried it on the track yet? How does it compare with the big guns (Viper/Z06/GT3)?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am getting a Stage II in June and I guess I am going to get Jermaine to install it. I have already started this process, as I installed an ACT HDSS clutch this past weekend. I never thought the clutch would make such a difference in driving. You have to let it out slower (on regular driving), cuz it sure grabs!
Rick

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am getting a Stage II in June and I guess I am going to get Jermaine to install it. I have already started this process, as I installed an ACT HDSS clutch this past weekend. I never thought the clutch would make such a difference in driving. You have to let it out slower (on regular driving), cuz it sure grabs!
Rick
How much harder is it on the left leg? I'd like to do it without my gf knowing and she drives the car every once in a while... :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
The HDSS is only a little harder to push. She may not even notice it. What she WILL notice is the grab, at least in my car!
Rick

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh man oh man i love the VF2. Finished the install today (well, actually a couple weeks ago but had to finish the clamhinge project before I could drive it). Cant here the gas pump, maybe dont know what to listen for, but whatever it is its no big deal. The turbocharger sound is minimal, a slight whirring to the right, frankly expected more noise. The air intake WOW WOW WOW love that howl from the left. WOW. The torque is great but sucks because I get up to speed too fast and only get a second or two of intake howl before have to change gears. Idle is fine and no problem.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just installed an XTSS setup. It was noticably different at first, but now I'm used to it. It grabs well.

Strangely enough, despite having nearly 15K on my car, the original clutch has only .005 wear and the original machining is still visible on the clutch plate.

I'm also going for a VF shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Great feedback and good thread.
I too am having Jermaine do an install, but still trying to decide between a Stg 1 or 2.

My primary concern is engine wear with the Stg 2 and also if the tires will get enough traction with all that power.

Any real world comparisons to other cars?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Thanks.

Anyone of you tried it on the track yet? How does it compare with the big guns (Viper/Z06/GT3)?
I jollied around a bit with a modded c5 vette.
The vf2 outpaced it ever time we went at it.
That vette sounded better though:(

BTW: (oem size) 225/45/17 R888's cannot handle the torque
I think the largest you SHOULD go on 8" wheels is 245mm

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Whats the best thread to check out teh VF Stage II stuff? and whats total buildup cost for everything you need (clutch, fuel pump, etc.) I would NOT be doing the install myself LOL.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I am now considering the VF stage2.
If your doing an upgrade, just be sure you can live with your car out of service for up to a month, or more. You will have to send your kit in for them to replace the snout casting, and they aren't next day turn around to say the least. But the kit is really nice and so it Vision Function.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your doing an upgrade, just be sure you can live with your car out of service for up to a month, or more. You will have to send your kit in for them to replace the snout casting, and they aren't next day turn around to say the least.
Funny, because this is the biggest hurdle for me. I use my car 7mo a year, but really only 5mo really have nice warm temperature.

I don't want to lose my car for a whole month or more (I've been told from trustworthy people) especially with the warmer months just starting. Track days are starting next week end as well... Not only that, but the garage I go to, they don't really have the space to store my car for a whole month. I am not too sure I would like my plastic car stored at a busy garage for a whole month either.

Why don't they use a core exchange program? No turn around at all... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Probably just to get the price point as low as possible. And I'm not trying to imply that they are slow or anything...I think they are just very busy. It sounds like if you have them do it, they do set a priority which is understandable since your paying them more for the labor. But for the "take out" it can take a little longer.

It is a very fun kit...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts