The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you missed it earlier tonight it is going to be replayed in 40 minutes...1am eastern. speed tv

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have it tivo'd it and boy its a good one. Really enjoyed the wonderful heritage of race cars from lotus but I was hoping there would be more on the road cars. I was glad to see that he spent time talking about the Elise and Exige. I might just order the dvd.:clap:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I enjoyed learning about the early models myself. I too will be buying a DVD when they are available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
too many commercials. but it was great to see the progression of the company.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
too many comercials seems to have been rushing the whole program as if they did not have enough for a whole show

·
Registered
347 Posts
Brilliant episode! To many commercials yes, I hope the dvd will show some more driving though. It seemed there were so many cars to go through that they had to "move" it along to get them all in. All in all great episode and I will look forward to the dvd when it is available.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awsome show I never saw so many COMMERCIALS!!!!!!!!

must get DVD

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Is it my imagination, or did they use the same barn backdrop for the Ferrari and Alfa editions?

Good show all around. I wish they would sync up the true sound with the video during the driving segments. Seems they muck up the sound on every edition.

It was interesting to see that 90% or so of the cars were Barber cars.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Crap. I totally missed it. Anyone know if it's going to replay?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Surferjer said:
Crap. I totally missed it. Anyone know if it's going to replay?
The schedule search at Speedtv.com says it's not appearing any time in the next five weeks.

The DVD just has to be out soon. It'll be so much better to see the whole thing unedited.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I believe it was the same area around Barber Motorsports park. I agree there were too many commercials but it was all better once I saw Alain driving the very same Exige I drove at LRP. Life is good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did anyone notice DeCadenet putting the left rear tire off the road and damn near in the hedge/wall while driving the JPS? It happened about 45 minutes into the initial showing (heavy commercials).

Was the black Exige that was shown driving (with European front plates) during the closing credits (but not discussed) a 240R?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i think i noted more than one car with a tire dropped off the edge.

for those who do not read it, hear is an article fro lotus remarque done by a lotus club member in alabama. if this is a copyright violation we can remove it

Victory by Design- At Last, Lotus

Story and Pictures by Mikell Pearce

Birmingham, AL- our long wait is over. Alain De Cadenet and Gemini Pictures, producers of the outstanding “Victory by Design” series as seen on Speed Channel, recently wrapped up a three-day film session covering our pride and joy. Facilities were provided to Gemini by the Barber Motorsports Park and Museum, venue for several LOG 24 activities in August 2004. The Alabama Lotus Car Club, Barber Museum and LCU provided a variety of road and race cars- and I might add, an unsuspecting car rental agency provided the camera car used in high speed chase scenes. Additional filming will take place in Hethel, where Clive Chapman will provide several important Loti for the show- at last report, a Clark 49, Fittipaldi 72, Andretti 79 and Senna 99T. The film should be completed in December for broadcast, followed by commercial release of a DVD (www.victorybydesign.com).

Filming was broken up into two main sessions. The first was the Sunday presentation of the road cars in a concours setting, with Alain commenting on each model together with a back roads scene of Alain driving several cars while leading and following the camera car. The cars in the concours were a 1958 Elite, 1964 Elan 26R, 1973 Europa Special (JPS #001), 1987 Turbo Espirit, 1991 Elan M100, 2003.5 Espirit V-8, 2005 Elise and 2006 Exige. Cars used in the back roads drive were the Mark 1 replica (seen at LOG 25), 1958 Elite, 2005 Elise and 2006 Exige (“Storm Trooper” white, also seen at LOG 25). The second segment on Monday and Tuesday filmed Alain driving 20 or so of the Lotus collection from the Barber museum around the track and back roads, again with the camera car in hot pursuit. I attended the Sunday event but only a small part of Monday due to conflicts with, of all things, work!

Lee Clark, curator of the Barber Lotus collection is well known to many Lotus, Ltd. members and managed the event. At the request of Gemini’s staff, Lee invited three ALCC members to bring their cars. Their objective was to have a representative sample of the Lotus road car design progression, so the ALCC cars (Turbo Espirit, Europa Special and M100 Elan) filled some important gaps. ALCC members Mike Pearce, John Higgins and Ed Jones arrived Sunday morning around 9:00 AM, amid the roar of a motorcycle track day- just the thing to send a director into orbit when trying to film on time and on budget. Nevertheless, we were able to film during the breaks of the ride groups, but it certainly added to the long hours (we finished at 6:30 PM). Alain is quite a gentleman, and very accommodating- all of us were impressed by his knowledge of cars, driving skill, demeanor under stressful conditions and professionalism. Alain really understands and appreciates the Lotus story- the success and legacy of the cars, the breeding ground Lotus created for famous designers and drivers over the years and in particular the story of Colin Chapman and all his accomplishments, with the odds often stacked against him. We were also impressed by the skill of the camera car driver. But possibly most impressive was the lack of fear of the camera operator, who sat in the back of the camera car (a Subaru wagon) mere inches from a Lotus on his tail, strapped in with a variety of nylon harnesses while he operated a camera, observed a monitor and breathed exhaust fumes the entire day. Alain’s preparation for the road car review consisted of digesting William Taylor’s “The Lotus Book-Series 3”. He was matching the actual cars with the pictures, noting the specifications for his presentation. He was quite confused when he tried to find the V-8 Espirit, as it is listed in the Type 82 page, where the year of V-8 production is out of sequence somewhat with the year that type is listed. He enlisted my help and I was happy to assist in some small way. Alain probably did 20 takes, from a variety of angles, requiring us to move the cars from one side to the other, a real Chinese fire drill. Some takes where necessary to correct misstatements and deal with interruptions of motorcycles firing up on the nearby track. After the final take was completed, he did a couple of voice-overs so they could later dub over a few minor errors. We were afraid to correct him when he was doing a voice-over to amend the 1987 Turbo Espirit specs, but he still said 165 HP instead of 160 when discussing the NA 907 engine. He also kept lowering the weight of the M100 at each take, finally settling at 2000 lbs, when it should be more like 2250. I thought of saying something, but I think he was worn out and it may have irritated him to no end- so my apologies to the M100 and Espirit NA 907 crowd for small inaccuracies. Alain made a very enthusiastic presentation of each car in his famous style- full of vigor, and relaying a sincere appreciation for each car. He is truly a master of presentation. His last words in the segment, after fawning over the Exige were “oh, and look, I see a race track down there- now let’s see what she will do, shall we?”

During breaks of filming the road car review, Alain drove the Mark 1, Elite, Elise and Exige (Barber and LCU cars) on some back roads on the property. The Mark 1 was filmed before I arrived, so I did not see that one, but the others I did. The camera car had the back hatch propped open by metal rods, with a camera mounted on the hood (remote control) and one in the back. The director was in the passenger seat, a “volunteer” (me) in the back seat for “ballast” of some sort, and the aforementioned camera man in the way-back. Little did I know when they asked me if I wanted to ride in the camera car what was getting ready to happen. Lee Clark was the first “volunteer” to ride in the back seat, as ballast for the Elite shot- the Elite is a nice car, but keep up or sprint ahead with an Elise or Exige, with Alain De Cadenet licking his chops? Lee had it easy- I rode during the Elise and Exige film sessions. All I can say is this- there were a couple of times where I thought we had bought the farm, so to speak. The Subie would tear off through the woods (anyone who has seen the VBD shows understands what I’m saying here) with Alain no more that 2 feet behind the bumper, with me turned around backwards, looking in a TV monitor, and then back at Alain’s car, breathing exhaust fumes, expecting a collision at any second, all while getting tossed about in the back seat. Then, Alain would get in front, and the Subie would be right on his tail, with the director in the front seat barking instructions to the driver as we tore down the road, tires screaming. Alain would be providing commentary on his remote microphone while all this was going on, cool as a cucumber. It was literally like a centrifuge ride at the state fair. After it was over with, I was kind of glad he didn’t drive my car! The driver mentioned they had been doing this since 1994 and had the timing down perfectly (it would have been nice if I had heard this before I got in the car) so I assume they decided not to opt for the collision insurance offered by the car rental agency. Overall the day was quite enjoyable, spending time with Alain, his crew, Mark O’Shaughnessy with LCU and fellow ALCC members. I had a big grin when I got home and my wife said, “You enjoyed yourself, didn’t you?” Oh, Yea!

Monday and Tuesday were days for filming Alain driving twenty or so of the Barber Museum cars on the track. On Monday, I went to the museum at lunch to give Alain the October issue of “Automobile” magazine, which crowned Lotus with two of the top ten sports cars of all time (original Elan and Elise). Hopefully, he’ll work this information into the show. Although I could not participate Monday or Tuesday, I did see Alain when he drove an 18 down the street like he was in a Chevrolet to the Museum entrance where I was standing after delivering the magazine. Alain spent some more time with John Higgins, fellow ALCC member, who was also there to pick up his car from the day before and me. Alain joked about how the 18’s seat was wide enough for a good-sized rear end, where other cars he had driven over the years hardly allowed one to move. The crew then arrived to set up some filming, and Alain walked off to rehearse his words, and I returned to the salt mine.

By the way, if you ever stumble across and considering buying a light green, four-wheel drive 2005 Subaru Station wagon with bald tires, move on!

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awesome show. I am checking into buying a 23b. Does anyone have any insights? DeCadenet said he owns one, they go for around $60-100K. Thx.

·
Registered
336 Posts
By the way, if you ever stumble across and considering buying a light green, four-wheel drive 2005 Subaru Station wagon with bald tires, move[/QUOTE]

I wondered what the chase car was?? It was a good show with to many commercials. 1 commercial=1 beer how did the show end??:shrug: rotfl

Dan

1 - 20 of 51 Posts