·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Nice video, thanks.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
thanks for the video!

didn't the driver used to be on Top Gear? I have two videos of him driving a McLaren F1 and an E46 M3.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I love Tiff... he is so positive. He should have used an Elise with the sport pack. it wouldn't have even been close. On the Top Gear track here are the figures for both cars:

Vauxhall VX 220 turbo - 1.31.3
&
Lotus Exige - 1.26.4 :eek:

Now I know this is an Exige, but the Fed Elise with sport pack is virtually the same car, actually the Fed Elise (sport pack) will be a little quicker. :clap:

Neil

·
Registered
394 Posts
Vantage said:
Neil,
Top Gear lap times aren't to be trusted!!!
Id agree, the times are more for an entertainment point then a measurable one, afterall they are from a TV show! I really enjoy watching those video's!

Adamp

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Vantage said:
Neil,
Top Gear lap times aren't to be trusted!!!
Mmm, why not. I agree, it is for a TV show, but it isn't the US. After all the track was designed by Lotus and was used by Lotus.

Neil

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I just feel the lack of more detailed condition reporting is the biggest flaw. Remember when the Rx8, 350z, and M3 all turned exactly the same lap time at 1.31.8? Then the S4 beat them all? We're forced to compare lap times on a cold/puddle ridden track with those from a warm track, except for half the time we really don't know the conditions. TG gives us three categories: dry, wet, really wet. The respected German magazines give us detailed track conditions like temperature, humidity, etc.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Vantage said:
I just feel the lack of more detailed condition reporting is the biggest flaw. Remember when the Rx8, 350z, and M3 all turned exactly the same lap time at 1.31.8? Then the S4 beat them all? We're forced to compare lap times on a cold/puddle ridden track with those from a warm track, except for half the time we really don't know the conditions. TG gives us three categories: dry, wet, really wet. The respected German magazines give us detailed track conditions like temperature, humidity, etc.
If we are comparing German ways to British ways. Sorry thats like apples and avocados. The fact is that the germans pay attention to details in a paranoid kinda way. As for the Brits, they simply drive it. If the Germans need to know the difference in tire temperature on a bank turn and a hairpin turn, that is really up to them. I personally like the part where a driver gets in a car and drives it like he stole it. $hit, we are lucky we even get times in the dry with the Brits. Don't get me wrong I love German cars, hell I drive a German car and my Uncle is German! I just think some times they do a little too much analyzing and not enough driving.

Neil

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I would agree that more driving is important, but how can you reasonably compare two very close lap times that were obtained on different days and in different conditions?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some of the top gear lap times just don't add up to be honest. Also top gear magazine did a comparison of about 20 Elises and VXs the other month and the figures were well off the time from the show. Most of us just take it as entertainment :D

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Vantage said:
I would agree that more driving is important, but how can you reasonably compare two very close lap times that were obtained on different days and in different conditions?
I didn't know the Vauxhall VX 220 turbo lap time was done in the wet. (or was it?) Anyways all I am saying is, it is the best way to find out how good a car is: One driver, one track, 2 cars. I agree if the conditions were the same that would be ideal. Unless it was a wet lap. The lap times shouldn't be that different. You know, I see this with alot of BMW drivers, as soon as for example, a M3 gets beaten by a Porsche or a Merc on a track. Right away they assume that the test was fake or was for entertainment and the conditions not ideal for the BMW. I just don't get the point of calling a show like this not credible, is it just because it is on TV and not written in a magazine or a book? Who is to say that all the tests in Road & track or Evo aren't credible. I've noticed that people find it easier to believe something just because it is written.

Neil

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I wasn't necessarily refering to the VX220 test, nor did I put more credibility into magazine tests. But I think if we are looking at a matter of 5 or 6 tenths of a second, it would be better to test both cars back to back on the same day to get relative times.

I think I have the best solution Neil. Let's rent an Evo VIII MR when it comes out (looks like the US gets the lowest MR model) and go driving. That's the only way to find out. :D

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Vantage said:
I think I have the best solution Neil. Let's rent an Evo VIII MR when it comes out (looks like the US gets the lowest MR model) and go driving. That's the only way to find out. :D
WooYoo:clap: thats a great solution. The fastest car to the top of Palomar Mtn. wins. Then we exchange cars and do it again. What do you think.

Elise (sport pack) Vs. Evo VIII MR winner buys lunch! :D

Neil almost 400 posts :clap:

·
Registered
148 Posts
The dubious bits have very little to do with the VX220 etc.

Its more that the current stig seems to be getting much better times than the old one from similar metal. Most of us in the UK on forums take the top gear figures with a large pinch of salt.

Also they've removed cars from the top of the list, presumably because they want to put new things up top. The radical for a start has been removed (the cheaper version of the car currently holding the road legal car ring record).

I've not got an agenda trying to say one car is better than the other, merely suggesting that the top gear comparison is light entertainment and no more. The track itself is very much suited to light low power cars, which is why the S2 Exige does so well. On a track with more straights it would be some way further behind imho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts