The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Oh yeah baby!:coolnana: I think in the Top Gear video of the Konegsigg (sp) they said the bio eth gave it 90 more HP!:shift:

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Nice find! Just a quick tune of the engine management system, eh? Hmmm, There's a bio-ethanol pump just down the street from me!

Tom

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wonder if Lotus would be willing to reflash our ECU's if we offered to be beta testers for them?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
2ndCS said:
Wonder if Lotus would be willing to reflash our ECU's if we offered to be beta testers for them?
Count me in! I'd do it to save the earth...and get a smile as big as Tiff's in the video!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would be game for sure.. except no bio-eth pumps here in San Diego that I know of. ; (

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Doesn't E85 have less BTUs per volume than gasoline? So in order to get the extra hp they have to account for a lot of extra fuel flow. I'm assuming there are fuel system hardware changes at least.

I'm certain that when he says it's just a little bit of computer work, he's not being literal. He's just making the point that it didn't take a whole heck of a lot.

xtn

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw on TV that a simple fuel system upgrade for older cars, and ecu retune is all that's needed..

·
Registered
666 Posts
He does mention (at 1:05) that the car is supercharged, so it probably started life as a 240R. I wish my Liz would scoot like that with a bit of E85 in the tank, but that's wishful thinking. Likely he's only getting an extra 25hp. Still, I'd play. Balls on gas mileage...

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
choi0706 said:
I saw on TV that a simple fuel system upgrade for older cars, and ecu retune is all that's needed..
Don't believe what you see on TV. E85 is highly corrosive to any ferrous metal and the entire fuel system needs to be changed out to one that is designed for the effects of E85 if it expected to be used for long periods of time. The shops that are doing the conversations probably expect these same customers to come back for $$$ repairs on their now non-functional fuel systems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
OppositeLock said:
E85 is highly corrosive to any ferrous metal and the entire fuel system...
Excellent point. :up:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have been following a new technology for developing biofuel that works in 2 stroke 4 stroke and diesel. The web site is http://ussec.us/
I am not sure what the outcome will be but they will have a 100% green powerplant providing power for an entire city very soon.

A new study shows that it is non corrosive.

The conclusive results reported by Summit Environmental exceeded our wildest expectations. Lately the media has been reporting the corrosive characteristics of ethanol and biodiesel, and rightfully so, the world is gravely concerned. Our green fuels, derived from soybeans show no corrosive characteristics whatsoever.

Chris

·
Registered
521 Posts
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27179

We dicussed why it gives out more power. Simply because it has a much higher octane rating so you can raise the boost futher without detonation.

E85 is basically race gas. Really good stuff for forced induction cars, with naturally aspirated not so much as you have to change out the pistons or really play with the timing to get the same results.

The car started life out as an Exige S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts