The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
The red I thought looked the best in that, but I was really surprised at how dramatic the green color shifts are. The Nimbus Grey looked more grey than silver, although you could see the metallic flake in it. That was indoors with the sun shining through a window?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The red I thought looked the best in that, but I was really surprised at how dramatic the green color shifts are. The Nimbus Grey looked more grey than silver, although you could see the metallic flake in it. That was indoors with the sun shining through a window?
Agreed, the red was the nicest surprise, and the Nimbus didn't look quite as silvery as some of the still images we've previously seen of the samples.

Echoing what others have said, it seems difficult to imagine how some of these colors will look on the car based on these small discs alone.

Kudos to the thoughtful enthusiast who took & posted video of the samples being rotated!

I wouldn't have minded if the disc was held to be convex instead of concave though! :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yea, the green is really really reflective and glossy looking. That's going to look very dramatic given the Emira's curves.

·
Registered
142 Posts
nimbus grey kinda looks a little goldish not silver , we need better samples or at least a NG car
I think it's the lighting coming through the window causing a bit of bronze tint.. the last fraction of a second you can see it looks more pure silver in the natural light.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
709 Posts
nimbus grey kinda looks a little goldish not silver , we need better samples or at least a NG car
This was why I asked about the video being shot indoors, with the sun shining through a window. Either the window has some tint on it, or it's later in the day when sunlight has that orange-ish gold color to it, or a bit of both. Some of the colors are going to really be subject to light color and angles. The blue didn't appear to shift much at all, even though we know it's a metallic paint. The red held pretty good too, with only getting a bit darker as it went into shadow. The dark gray was dramatic; shifting from gray to black, and quickly. The green was even more dramatic, shifting from bright through quite a range of shades to virtually black in the shadow. It looked like someone had cleaned the fingerprints off too, as that was the shiniest I'd seen that color sample look. The yellow behaved a lot like the blue; hardly shifting its color tone at all. I wish the person holding the disks had turned them over so we could see the convex side too, but at least they did something which is very helpful.

Even though the colors were being affected by the color tone of the sunlight, they still look better than the configurator shows, as it gives a much more realistic look at how they're going to look in the real world, and how they react to lights and shadows. The gray and green cars are pretty much going to be black cars at night. The red, blue, yellow and Nimbus are going to hold their color tone much better in evening and night time, and be more consistent in showing what color they are. However the green car in particular, is going to put on quite a show as the car moves under street lights or past light sources at night.

I had almost decided to completely give up on green and go with Nimbus, but now that I've seen this video, I'm back towards green, and maybe even red. The advantages of red are visibility to other drivers in a sea of big SUV's and pickup trucks. You're also more visible to the police if that's an issue. My biggest concern would be people thinking it's a Ferrari, which I know a lot of people would think is a plus, but I've been a Lotus fan for over 50 years, so I myself would prefer it to stand out as a Lotus. That's where green comes in. That's the original Lotus racing identity. The disadvantage would possibly be that visibility issue in traffic, although with it being so shiny and the color shift so dramatic, it may not be such an issue because it's going to get attention just for that alone, regardless of the color. Shiny gets attention.

I really hope what someone on the U.K. forum had said is true, that there's a green car going through the production line and we get to see it here soon. And a red car too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I hope Lotus is reading all of this and sends us fender size sample like the one Russel Carr was holding . if lotus wants our business they need to send em over asap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

This Magma Red is confounding... depending on which swatch source you look at, it's either scarlet, maroon or warm red. I've Photoshopped the configurator red (waaaay off) to the video swatches, added some warm red highlights, and dropped some of the gleam (the red doesn't seem to pick up the light like the blue base car). The car bottom right is Fire Red, for reference. I'll keep playing...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I cant get over how basic the first color palette is... I really hope they add some more "fun" colors. This is a fail.
The only *fun bright colors are yellow and blue, Really?

Reactions: VL3X and LotusB
1 - 16 of 16 Posts