The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in one of the existing threads on the topic but seeing how 1) people don't search and 2) the search results on the forum aren't great, I figured I'd put it in it's own thread in the hopes that other people find it more easily.

Below is a video of me showing you how to do the famous Stan's shifter mod.

This modification reinforces the OEM shifter bracket for improved shift accuracy and feel. Hope it is helpful to people in the future! This mod is easy and only costs a few bucks in terms of hardware. There are links in the video description to written instructions if you prefer. Also in the video description I list the parts needed.

Feel free to reply with any questions and huge thanks to @Stan for the original info on this!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I appreciate the video for this mod, thanks chiarov!

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess my shifter is pretty good so this is why I never felt the need to improve it so far. Next time I have the hardtop off I might have a go at this mod.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@goelise yeah same with mine, always has shifted pretty nicely.... but I was taking the seats out to add sound deadening and the shift console off to lube the shift cables anyway (which were squeaking) so I figured might as well go ahead.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any comments on how it felt afterwards? I've owned two 2006 cars, first had a pretty weak gearchange but my current one is actually really good and I have no complaints - but I always look for opportunities to add improvements, especially if they're easy.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any comments on how it felt afterwards? I've owned two 2006 cars, first had a pretty weak gearchange but my current one is actually really good and I have no complaints - but I always look for opportunities to add improvements, especially if they're easy.
I definitely think it feels more solid. Combined with lubing the shift cables, the whole shifter felt so much smoother it was almost too smooth. Like, I missed some of the notchiness. But again, my car always shifted pretty well from the start.

How is that spacer secured to the floor of the car?
There is a threaded insert in the floor already from the factory. So the bolt goes through the spacer and then threads into the existing insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts