The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran with the Oregon Porsche Club at PIR yesterday, and during my tech inspection which I did a couple of days before the event I decided to finally try to capture a session on the track.
The only camera I had was a regular digital photo camera which I mounted to my radar detector bracket and ran it in video mode.
So please excuse the lousy quality.
This was also my first time trying to put together my own video...
So the large thing which you see in most of the right hand turns is my helmet, which pretty much blocks the sight...rotfl
Anyways, I thought I might share this, and as the title says - critics are welcome.

N/A Elise in the orange run group...

YouTube - LOTUS ELISE at Portland International Raceway 07/29/08

During the day I also got to ride shotgun with eviltwin, which was very interesting and something I wanted to do for quite some time :clap:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've sworn off riding shotgun in a Lotus on the track...made me sicker than a dog...
But was still VERY fun!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I only watched the first part up to 'dealing with crowds"
My comments are 2.
first; you look really smooth with the steering and the get on the throttle smoothly and nicely as you are apexing the corners.

very nice!!!!
second; dont lean into the turns with your body.

I think you are doing this because you can due to stock seat, 3 point belt.
perhaps its your seat or lack of proper harness/seat combo, but you are out of position to control the car if something happens and you lose traction and need to correct.

I would invest in a good seat/harness setup so you are glued to that seat going through corners, and you will see a huge improvement in what you can do.

you look like a very capable driver Mr.C!!!!!!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only watched the first part up to 'dealing with crowds"
My comments are 2.
first; you look really smooth with the steering and the get on the throttle smoothly and nicely as you are apexing the corners.

very nice!!!!
second; dont lean into the turns with your body.

I think you are doing this because you can due to stock seat, 3 point belt.
perhaps its your seat or lack of proper harness/seat combo, but you are out of position to control the car if something happens and you lose traction and need to correct.

I would invest in a good seat/harness setup so you are glued to that seat going through corners, and you will see a huge improvement in what you can do.

you look like a very capable driver Mr.C!!!!!!
Thanks fishguy!

I actually never noticed the leaning issue until I watched the Video yesterday!
That is definitely one thing I will focus on the next time I'm out on the track or even on the road.
I'm not sure what causes me to do that, but now that I know I can focus on it.
Maybe the solution really is to upgrade my safety equipment...

Steve

·
Registered
912 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but your downshifts don't seem swift and smooth. Sounds like your slipping the clutch out and not rev matching.

If you are rev matching be a little more confident and don't wimp the the blip especially from 3rd to 2nd.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Can someone direct me to a newby thread on going to a track? Never done it. I had an 11-sec quarter mile 660hp Ford truck and never even went to the drags? Why? None of my friends are into it. All married peck-downs.

The PIR site talks about taking classes and getting certified before even driving on a track in any way. Is that true, or do they have a more casual day where you can buzz around by yourself?

In high school a friend of mine took his beater MR2 turbo out on their track and said it was a blast - of course he was not serious about racing - just getting wild without worrying about hurting someone on a public road or cops.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct me if im wrong but your downshifts don't seem swift and smooth. Sounds like your slipping the clutch out and not rev matching.

If you are rev matching be a little more confident and don't wimp the the blip especially from 3rd to 2nd.
Hmmm, that's interesting.
Now I'm certainly no Walter Roehrl when it comes to footwork, but to me it feels like my heel/toe works well and the car doesn't feel unsettle at all during downshifts.
It is however a little tough to find the right shift point coming down the front straight and into the chicane since there I'm going from 5th to 2nd.

I will definitely keep an eye on that.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
so you went from 5th directly to 2nd?

I've seen some people downshift sequentially, i.e. 4 to 3 to 2.... compared to 4 to 2 .

Any comments, pros or cons to either?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

I've seen some people downshift sequentially, i.e. 4 to 3 to 2.... compared to 4 to 2 .

I'm no pro but I was taught, and always do, downshift sequentially with a heel/toe for each shift.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I don't have any comments with my limited experience, other than that you stress your drivetrain more than necessary by shifting thru all the gears.
Maybe the chance of engaging the clutch too early and over revving your engine is smaller when you go 4 to 3 to 2 :shrug:

Somebody I talked to a while ago mentioned that you might want to go thru all the gears with the clutch depressed.
My understanding is that this is more to help you prevent a miss shift and gives you a better feel for what gear you're actually in...:shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
1. Use more exit, get on gas sooner
2. Heal/toe needs work
3. Brake later and use corner entry to bleed speed also
4. Use the curbs if possible (some are usuable some are not)

For cars with more torque than you (i.e. Porsche) you don't need to wait to get on the gas, just get on the gas -- it should time out so that when you are at the exit you'll be on their bumper and able to make the pass easily as you carry more corner speed and momentum onto the straight.

Assume your run group has restricted passing?

Otherwise, looks fine, hope you had fun -- looks like you did.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't hear any tires squeeling. You're not going fast enough!
Turn up your volume. I know it's hard to hear with my crappy camera setup.

But the tires were squealing nice and steadily thru almost every turn and every time I got on the brakes.

I felt like I was going plenty fast for my level of experience.

I prefer a steady but slower learning curve over one that goes up too steep and ends up costing me lots of money and possibly my health...;)

That's one reason why I posted this: to get some input from you guys on the things I can improve to make me a better driver.
I think going faster as you become better is just a side effect, but just going fast doesn't automatically mean you know what you're doing and have the situation under control...:shift:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was running instructor in the black exige s...nice line! A few little suggestions...apart from the head... into 1 in 3rd, 2 in 2nd, then 3rd to 4th and back down to 3rd until right hairpin in 7. Then down to 3rd @ 10 and through onto the front straight. Some of this is a little agressive, but you will get there. Also talk to Eddie @ Adrenaline Motorsports about Cobalt brake pads, you will be able to go into the corners another 1/2 deeper. Good job!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I find that going through the gears downshifting makes it easier to find the rev point for the next gear. You could try that next time to help with the heel-toe.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was running instructor in the black exige s...nice line! A few little suggestions...apart from the head... into 1 in 3rd, 2 in 2nd, then 3rd to 4th and back down to 3rd until right hairpin in 7. Then down to 3rd @ 10 and through onto the front straight. Some of this is a little agressive, but you will get there. Also talk to Eddie @ Adrenaline Motorsports about Cobalt brake pads, you will be able to go into the corners another 1/2 deeper. Good job!!!

Hey dvl boy!

Thanks for the good information.

A few comments from my side:

I used to do 1 in 3rd and then 2 in second - until one day I had an instructor who told me to try going directly 5th to 2nd for one. As far as I remember it was a gentleman with a GG Exige S, and if you are who I think you are then I think this gentleman and you are closely related ;)
Anyway, that was at my very beginning and I just adapted that. I will give your advise a try next time.

2 in second, then to 3rd and 4th before turn 4:

I think there might be a difference between an S and a N/A Elise.
I get to the limiter about a second or so before getting to the break zone for turn 4.
I asked Evil Twin this specific question on Tuesday, and he told me to let it bounce off the limiter instead of short shifting into 4th.
According to him short shifting doesn't gain you much there.
So it might be that in the S you are just that much faster to make a shift worth it, or it's the brake pads you mentioned which allow you to go deeper, or a combination of the two :shrug:

Turn 10 in 3rd sounds very agressive.
I used to do 10 and 11 in 4th, and then down to 3rd for 12.
After the ride with Mr. EvilTwin I tried to do 10 in 4th, and then downshift to 3rd for 11, and that really seemed to make a big difference for me since I was able to pick up quite some speed between 11 and 12.

I'm currently running the Pagid 4-2-1 in the front, but they have 4 track days and maybe 2000 Street miles on them now, and they don't look as if they are going to make it thru another event.
I already have some Pagid blues in the garage which I was planning to try next time.
But I will definitely talk to Eddie as well.

Again, thanks for the great advise :bow:

·
Registered
140 Posts
idk but to me (a noob driver) it seemed like you were doing great :up:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
idk but to me (a noob driver) it seemed like you were doing great :up:
Thanks a lot!
I still consider me a noob as well with only a total of 8 track days under my belt...
I figured that there are plenty of advanced / expert drivers here on the board, and where else can you get more good advise then from them...:clap:
So this thread is so far a really helpful learning experience for me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts