The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fit a bullet camera on my Exige and now face the following problem, there does not seem to be a reasonably priced, 12v, Hi8, VCR out there. Camcorders are the most obvious bit of kit for recording, but none appear to be able to take a vid signal input. Surely it must be pretty straightforward to switch off the camcorders own CCD input and replace it with an external camera's output. You can get secondhand camcorders for peanuts and it seems a shame not to be able to make use of their recording (and playback) ability. Any suggestions/tips?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Wait until next month. Then we will release the PDR100 which will be PAL/NTSC compatible and has optional g-force graphics and a wired remote for racing. Can have multiple recorders using. Has on board micrphone, MP3 recording, and writes to Compact Flash cards.

Otherwise, you will find a lot of camcorders do accept analog input. I list some on my ChaseCam forum.

http://www.chasecam.com/

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have a Canon Hi8 camcorder that takes audio/video in and runs on 12v. Smaller than the portable decks too. They exist, but you do have to search for A/V in/out on the features list.

Make offer. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
All camcorders that I have ever had have a VCR mode, with A/V inputs/outputs (composite video). You can buy a used one pretty cheap on eBay (less than $100).

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
ChrisH said:
All camcorders that I have ever had have a VCR mode, with A/V inputs/outputs (composite video). You can buy a used one pretty cheap on eBay (less than $100).
My experience selling external video heads is that many camcorders do not. It used to be a standard feature, but as the years went by, manufacturers decided people did not want it.

Just a wild guess, I think about 50% of the camcorders will accept external video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts