The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I've been a long time member of the EVO forums, and have recently started to look at the Elise/Exige. I love to track my car, and have had much fun in the evo at trackdays. But it's not a DD - and I really can't justify 4 doors and 4wd anymore. I'm really not set on either elise or exige (I know the exige is the track day special) but I'd like to hear what the Lotus community thinks. How are they around the track, do they respond well to modifications, Please tell me they are easier on tires!!! , and how nice are the dealers (mitsu is a pain to deal with)? Thanks guys, some pics for your time!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Colin...

Easy on tires?

Depends on the type of tire...

Our LTS A048's don't last too long but are sticky beyond belief!

Hope you get a Lotus...and welcome! :D

To help answer your questions, what part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
EricH said:
It is so much tighter than the EVO/STI. "Go-Kart" about sums up the handling performance/feedback.
This car is what a go-kart wants to be when it grows up! And you'll spend ALOT more on tires with an Elise or Exige, but its very worth it! :eek::D

And the Evos are killer in their own right, my neighbor (who's very into go-karts...the real ones :D) just recently sold his Evo and that was one sick car. Made me want one as well. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Colin...

Easy on tires?

Depends on the type of tire...

Our LTS A048's don't last too long but are sticky beyond belief!

Hope you get a Lotus...and welcome! :D

To help answer your questions, what part of the country are you in?
well, i've got 8k out of my advan's with a mix of autoX, DD, and time trial. i have a set of dedicated hoosier A6's, but I was hoping the rwd/lighter weight would prolong the life of the same tire on the street. just wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

also, i'm in the northeast (pittsburgh) - you can see now why i went with 4 wheel drive. i test drove an elise a while back and was thrilled with it. the only reason i don't have one now is my pesky wife - she just got her new car haha.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually you will use LESS tire if you change the stock tires (say AO48s) to track tires (say RA1s or R888s). You will also use less brake pads, less rotors, etc. Compared to your STI. Less weight = less consumables.

With an Elise/Exige, 8K miles on AO48s on the track is not possible unless you like sliding around the track. They will typically heat cycle out long before you wear the tread out.

Larry doesn't track his car. Maybe the mods should make Larry update his signature to include "I don't track my car so anything I post in a track discussion thread should be taken with a grain of salt."

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I track two other cars.

A 1967 Mini Cooper "S" (SVRA Group 1 - Vintage)

A 1991 Mazda Miata (SCCA Spec Miata)

I track my buddy's Lotus Exige. I pay him for the tires I use. A048's get eaten up fast, but they are what I prefer on his car.

What are you talking about? rotfl

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
LARRY said:
RichS said:
Larry doesn't track his car. Maybe the mods should make Larry update his signature to include "I don't track my car so anything I post in a track discussion thread should be taken with a grain of salt."
I track two other cars.

A 1967 Mini Cooper "S" (SVRA Group 1 - Vintage)
A 1991 Mazda Miata (SCCA Spec Miata)
...don't track anything you can't afford to crash; no shame in that...

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
...don't track anything you can't afford to crash; no shame in that...
Right! :D

Competitive Spec Miata -- about $15,000.

1967 Austin Mini Cooper S, 1275 .040, 13.2:1 comp., Weber, ported and flowed head, Koni adjust. shocks, S brakes. -- about $16,000.

·
Registered
807 Posts
having owned all three at some point (evo, elise, exige s), i feel the exige S is the way to go.

after you get used to the turbo power and "rush" of the evo, you're gonna be wanting more than what the stock elise has to offer; at least i felt that way. the elise is fun, but you constantly have to keep the engine screaming like a honda to get any power. and you find yourself downshifting, upshifting, downshifting to keep the revs high, in addition to sawing the non-power asisted wheel back and forth. it becomes quite a workout.

i find the supercharged exige S to be much easier to drive, with alot more useable torque and power at the blip of a throttle. i liken it to be a "lazy man's elise" because you don't have to try so hard to get power out of it. again, if you've never driven an Exige S or a turbo/blown car like the Evo, you probably won't know what you're missing.

my lotus dealer (beverly hills) is a dream compared to the mitsubishi and subaru dealer i had to deal with in the past. mitsubishi dealers primarily service galants, regular lancers and endeavors and the customer service matches the ho-hum cars and ho-hum average drivers that bring them in. lotus is usually sold through some sort of luxury dealer so your experience is going to be far better on average.

as far as daily driver, i think the Exige rides better than the Evo (regular non-MR). it's much more refined and while firm, it's not jarring like the bouncy bounce Evo was. yes, you don't have rear seats and there's only a small trunk, but i drive my exige S every day now, especially because i'm getting upwards of 32MPG on the highway. at $4.80/gallon, 12MPG in my other "daily driver" didn't make much sense anymore.

and tires, i find the Advan A048's on the Exige lasted less than the Advan A046's on the Evo (12K miles versus 41K miles). i've been told both mileages i've achieved are not typical - because most guys don't drive like a grandma like i do ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was thinking the exact same thing. the first time i drove an EVO i remember thinking how stupidly fast it felt when the turbo spools up. looks like i'll be out looking at exiges this weekend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts