The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I mentioned in my other post, I am having my Esprit serviced at Viking before I start driving it in Texas.

Since I am not local to that area, and only recently back in the Esprit game since being gone for 12 years, please let me know what your experience has been with Viking good or bad recently? I can find nothing but positive posts about them but most of them are a couple of years old, and things change.

Feel free to PM if you would like to keep it low profile.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Harry is the man, you won't go wrong with Viking. I'd ping the Yahoo Turbo Esprit Group/List as well for referenecs, those guys are hardcore Esprit folk (and still use email vs forums!)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
As with any shop that deals with the general public, I am sure if you look long enough and hard enough you will find someone that was not happy with the way they were taken care of by any shop. Typically happens when they buy a POS, overpay for it, and are upset when the shop tells them what they really bought and what it will cost to fix it up. Viking is highly recommended for Lotus work in CA. That said, every shop makes mistakes. The true measure of any shop is what they do to correct them. Do not confuse the cost of the repair with the competency of the shop. Overpaying for a good repair is not the same as overpaying for a bad repair. The cheapest shop cannot be compared to the most expensive shop simply on price alone. And Lotus is expensive. But you knew that when you bought the car, right? BTW what did you pay for the car? I have a '99 for sale with 20,000 miles ready to go. When I bought my other '99 it went through Harry's shop for a PPI. He was highly recommended by R&S which is local to me. All in all it was pretty much in the condition Harry said it was. That was a few years ago. I used Horseless Carriage to transport form CA to NJ. No car is ever completely sorted out. I had to adjust a lot of little things like the rear hatch latches, replace the clutch, weld a cracked tailpipe on the muffler, replace the primary injectors, some bulbs, etc. Mostly little stuff but I wanted the car to be perfect. The clutch was a biggie! Cost me over $3K and that was just the parts! I did get both tops, a bag, manual, deflector, and keys. Get insurance on the car immediately!
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work on the car started today. Clutch, belts, hoses, radiator re-core, rear suspension bushings.

Yes I have insurance on it.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would never go back to him or recomend his shop to anyone. I had a radiator installed. When I got the car back one of my oil cooler lines developed a leak. It looked like someone took at knife and stabbed the rubber hose twice. The car never had a leak till I brought it there. I made sure of this because I looked over the whole entire bottom end before I brought it there. Then he told me that he would fix the one oil line for $550. Say what you want about him but I will never have my car worked on at his shop ever again.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you want to get any work done in the Houston area your best bet at the moment is Gashead Motorworks. Don't go to Star as they have gone into the toilet in the service department.
GM # 713-461-7575

1 - 7 of 7 Posts