The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VIN 163 and VIN 501, observations

As some of you know, we now have two elises. Chrome Orange early VIN and a Saffron Yellow later Vin.

I havent posted since getting the new car because we had some computer issues and I was unable to sit down and make an "at length" post.

To briefly explain what we have....

*Our Chrome Orange car has EVERY option you can get on these cars.

*Our Saffron Yellow car has NO option other than the starshield.

I mentioned in another post that there were some "Differences" in the two cars/VINS. I meant more so the feel of the cars than absolute differences. I initially thought the sun visors were different but that was just because our CO car has a hardtop and the SY car doesn't. On the hardtop cars you cannot adjust the sun visors, ie, they dont fold up or down because they are pressed against the windsheild by the hardtop.

The Saffron Yellow car and our Orange car both have the SAME radio in them.
In fact, the sound system in the yellow car sounds ALOT better than the stereo in the Chrome Orange car.
This has me perplexed because the CO car has the touring package ( upgraded stereo) and Hardtop, so you'd think it would sound better. Addtionally I dont know WHY I got the same radio in both cars?? I thought the touring model got an upgraded version. I even had to double check to make sure because I was a little suprised to see the SAME model radio in both cars.

I also dont know why the SY car sounds so much better . Im thinking maybe its the settings...but as of yet I havent been able to check the settings in depth to tell the differences.

Paint and Finish.
The paint on the CO seems to be a little nicer. By nicer I dont just mean the way it looks but rather the way it was sprayed.

On the SY car I can see areas of light yellow ( primer coat?) on our SY ( in crevices and undersides of panels) but the CO car seems to be uniform all over and no different looking crevices etc.

The SY car already has a large rock chip in the paint which has taken it down to a lighter shade of yellow. I can only assume this is some sort of primer coat. Our CO car has not chipped yet and has 3,000 miles on it. Our SY car is a week old and already has several "rock" marks on it. This could just be circumstance I suppose, rather than paint quality. I will say that Ive never had a car get so many rock chips so fast. Ever.

WINSHEILD WIPERS.
This is a hot topic with me so bear with me. I HATE the Lotus windsheild wipers. I know that some people have had decent luck with them. I have NOT.
The CO cars wipers smeared constantly. On our trip down to Atlanta ( to get the yellow car) we had alot of rain. The wiper began leaving black rubber on the windshield. As the wiper ran over the rubber marks it caused it to skip and dance and wipe even less rain than before. The harder we had to run the wipers the worse the black rubber residue got. We had to stop 4 times before reaching Atlanta in order to SCRAPE the rubber off with a razer blade.
Upon reaching our dealer my husband showed the service team and they had a tech come out to look. My husband said that it appeared the rubber was coming from the wiper blade. The tech said, "no". He said that we must have put some sort of "Grease" on our windsheild and that was the cause. He took a razor blade to the winshield, scraped off the residue and then wiped it down again. We felt he was wrong but werent up for arguing.

When we left the dealership it was still raining hard. I was driving our brand new SY car. About an hour into our trip I also had BLACK RUBBER RESIDUE on my windshield and the wiper starting smearing and stuttering over the rubber marks. I could not see. I had to pull off of a road without shoulders in order to try and wipe it off. It wouldnt come off with just wiping so I had to take my drivers license and try and scrape it. Finally we got enough of it off I could continue on, and damn if it didnt appear again...this time even worse. My WHOLE trip, FOUR SOLID HOURS, from Atlanta to Deals Gap was the most stressful Ive ever encountered. I could not see a thing. The CO cars winsheild also developed MORE of this "rubber residue" material.

Even better...I just took the car back down to Atlanta for our first service last week. On the way home we had more rain, 5 hours of it in fact. The windshield smeared so bad I had to slow to 30mph at times. Addtionally ( and this is the best part) the windshield wiper TOOK THE PAINT OFF the car! Yes, thats right, the wiper comes down so far that it took a large chunk of paint off the car near the edge of the windshield. I'll take pictures for those who are interested tomorrow.

So...please be careful with your wipers.

Starsheild.....
The CO car has the "old style" starsheild that doesnt go as far up the front of the car. The SY car has the newer style shield which goes much farther up.
When Randy and others got their cars several mentioned "brown spots" showing up on their starshield. Our Orange car HAS NOT done this, so I was a little confused as to what they meant by brown spots. Well guess what? Our SY car starshield has brown spots, all over in fact. I cannot get them off. Ive tried just about every trick in my bag. They're ugly and unsightly. I dont know why the orange car has NO brown spots and the SY car has them all over. Its frustrating to say the least.

Handling
The base model handles well enough to make almost everyone happy. The ride quality is excellent and not to stiff. I would still feel comfortable taking it out to an autocross or track day with no hesitation. This car even in a 'base' will amaze you.

The extra "carpeting" you get on the touring model isnt much at all...its almost laughable.

Overall if I had to do it over again and only got ONE car I think I'd get the base model and upgrade the suspension since we're going to be autocrossing. Otherwise I'd get the base model and enjoy it! Its a super car.

I know I've left information out so PLEASE feel free to ask me specific questions.

I can post pictures if anyone needs anything specifically let me know. I'll post a few of our trip in this thread.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for the review Jenn. How did the base tires compare to the LSS 048 in the rain? Are the rock marks on the SY indents into the 3M starshield film or uncovered parts? Perhaps the COM paint is solvent based and the SY is water based?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GabbaGabbaHey said:
Thanks for the review Jenn. How did the base tires compare to the LSS 048 in the rain? Are the rock marks on the SY indents into the 3M starshield film or uncovered parts? Perhaps the COM paint is solvent based and the SY is water based?
I drove through rain on the interstate last week ( 5 hours worth) that Noah would have stayed home in and they did just fine. We saw numerous wrecks and spinouts..it was a real mess. I'm fairly pleased with the performance of the base model tires. I ran the GAP with rain and pine needles and it seemed to stick pretty well. Granted we werent going 10/10ths in those conditions though.

The rock chips are ABOVE the starshield which is ironic because this newer starshield goes higher up on the front clam than the old stuff. Not sure of the paint types but the SY paint doesnt seem as strong.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Dunno what's up with the wipers. Mine seem just fine after 5500 miles. Some adjustments to the arm and a new blade should solve the problem. For long trips in light drizzle, an adjustable delay accessory might be nice. I think it's also a good idea to keep the windshield rainx coated. Hopefully the paint thing will touch up okay and the glass is not scratched up. I've never seem such a wiper problem before.

BTW at yesterday's autocross I used the AD07 base tires. We were able to hit about 1.01 -1.05 sustained gs and 1.15-1.18 gs on transients. Not bad for the base tires. The car loves trail braking.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stan said:
Dunno what's up with the wipers. Mine seem just fine after 5500 miles. Some adjustments to the arm and a new blade should solve the problem. For long trips in light drizzle, an adjustable delay accessory might be nice. I think it's also a good idea to keep the windshield rainx coated. Hopefully the paint thing will touch up okay and the glass is not scratched up. I've never seem such a wiper problem before.

BTW at yesterday's autocross I used the AD07 base tires. We were able to hit about 1.01 -1.05 sustained gs and 1.15-1.18 gs on transients. Not bad for the base tires. The car loves trail braking.
Ive never seen a problem like this either. We normally do put RainX on our windows, I even had rainX wipes in the car with me but the rain was well over RainX capabilities and since the guys at LOA said they thought it was residue or grease or something I figured I wouldnt put anything else on it. I personally think its the blades leaving rubber.

I know some havent had any problems with theirs. To those folks I have to ask.....Have you driven through extended torrential rain where you had to have them on high speed for an hour or more? Im wondering if different situations lead to this problem. Many people may not have driven for extended periods in torrential rain?

I dunno what the problem is, but its happened on both cars. :( The glass isnt scratched. I guess we'll have to adjust the arm, its just a real bummer when you have to drive it for the first time in rain and it ruins your paint before you realise it's tearing up the car.

Yes, the base model tires are quite nice IMHO.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
OFL,

When I took my car to work, one of my coworkers realized that the rubber blade was out of the channel, after looking at how it went, we corrected the problem.

I didn't even notice but he is an ex-cop so he is very observant on little things like that.

The blade was so far out that one of the metal holders on the bottom was touching the windshield.

Make sure it's in ok.

BTW, nice writeup, and it seems like they gave you a free radio upgrade :)

And beautifull picts!!!!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit of Irony, my husband chatting in front of our new arrival with Paul Spruells son at our Dealer. Some of you may know who Paul Spruell is...he used to have the Lotus dealership in Atlanta...its a long story.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for those of you who havent driven Deals Gap. you really need to check it out. Its a lovely place. This is a pic taken from the top of a dam near the dragon called Fontana. Very pretty scenery. This is from the top of the dam. The next pic I post will be of the Lotus's from the bottom of the dam for perspective.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Have you driven through extended torrential rain where you had to have them on high speed for an hour or more?<<<

No, we don't get rain like that here in CT. England doesn't either!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Jenn, your wiper blade is on upside down. When I spoke with Dave Simkin during my first service, he mentioned that mine was on upside down, and that it was a common problem they'd been having. Try flipping it over and see if it helps.

Cade

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stan said:
>>>Have you driven through extended torrential rain where you had to have them on high speed for an hour or more?<<<

No, we don't get rain like that here in CT. England doesn't either!
Alot of people are picking up their cars and driving them home though. I doubt many people would be in a situation where they'd be in their Lotus in terrible rain for hours. But for those of you who, like me, are driving state to state and get caught in bad rain on their way home I'd say be ready with something to wipe your windshield with.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MotorCade said:
Jenn, your wiper blade is on upside down. When I spoke with Dave Simkin during my first service, he mentioned that mine was on upside down, and that it was a common problem they'd been having. Try flipping it over and see if it helps.

Cade
Uggh. Thanks for the heads up! I'll check that out. Its not rained since I got it home. Paint removal...what a hard way to learn that they installed your blade wrong....:(

1 - 20 of 64 Posts