The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the vin number lost ( P0630) is a common thing if the battery is disconnected and put back in (and is full), or is this just a problem when the battery dies completely and then trying to start the car?

·
Such Administrating
6,860 Posts
This happens on occasion. Unfortunately it has to be reprogrammed in by a dealer.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
My battery died from not being used and I was able to jump the car with absolutely no issues or codes.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My experience is if the battery is low or dead and you don't try to start the car, then the VIN is not lost.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Not sure why you need it.

San

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure why you need it.

San
Want to chang my steering wheel or refresh my oem.. then I will have to disconnect the battery to do so because of the airbag. I got the code when my battery died last year and with no dealers in Norway i dont want this to happen again..

·
Administrator
1,540 Posts
When your battery died last year was it low or dead? Was a jump start attempted from completely dead status? You should be able to remove your cables safely in the correct order on charged battery without affecting your ECU. If it does then like mentioned it needs the updated flash. Maybe wait till your off season to do these maintenance items then if it does have to be sent off you won't have additional downtime. Richard

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When your battery died last year was it low or dead? Was a jump start attempted from completely dead status? You should be able to remove your cables safely in the correct order on charged battery without affecting your ECU. If it does then like mentioned it needs the updated flash. Maybe wait till your off season to do these maintenance items then if it does have to be sent off you won't have additional downtime. Richard
Thanks for the tip! The battery was completly dead, last owner left the light on over night, then tried started. Not jump startet but charged the battery and then started. I have since then put in a new battery and got the vin number fixed after that.. so i dont know if my car now will throw the same code if i just disconnect my battery... yeah my ecu is to be updated but have to wait until the boarders open and travel to sweeden...no lotus shops in Norway

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
This happens on occasion. Unfortunately it has to be reprogrammed in by a dealer.
That's what Lotus would have you do, yes. Of course if, like me, your nearest Lotus dealer is many hours away, you can also reprogram the VIN through several other means, including the DaftOBD Java application written by our own @Obeisance (assuming your car has a T4 ECU),

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Worse yet, your check engine light will come on. Hard to smog to say the least and you can't clear it :-(

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
My battery had died multiple times and I've never suffered any issues. I've had my Exige S for nine years and never had any issues with smog. Knocking on wood as I type.

San

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
41 Posts
I had this same code from the previous owner when I bought my Elise. Got it flashed at a dealer since my local Elise mechanic stated that you would need the OEM Lotus tool to add the VIN back in (~$200). He also said that this issue occurs when the car is started with a low voltage battery and completely wipes the ECU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had this happen to my Elise. Unknowing that the battery was low the car just died while cranking slowly...and solenoids clicking a lot. After changing the battery I have the same engine warning code PO 630. I believe that Catsailr and boarder 140 have good comments. I had previously changed battery with no problem so I believe the key is trying to start with a very low battery. Now my car was always on battery tender and the battery was just 3 years old. I now have a new battery tender. One needs a tender with the "float" feature. After some searching I like the Battery Tender Plus, made by Deltran, a Florida company. We will be at the dealer next week.

·
Registered
918 Posts
2005-2007 MY US Lotus Vehicles had a great firmware feature where no CEL would be thrown when the VIN was lost in the ECU by a slowly undervolting battery situation. Despite the fact that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) doesn't appear to even use this feature as part of the test, they made Lotus create a flash for the car that throws a CEL P0630 when the VIN equals the default VIN number. My guess is that Lotus engineers were unable to resolve the forgetfullness problem with their ECU and simply prevented the CEL code from executing; but that's just a guess. At any rate, if you have a car with the desirable older firmware, then your car probably already has a default VIN, since it's so easy to cause the issue, but it will not throw a CEL and will not cause your SMOG test to fail. If you are getting the P0430, then someone did reflash the car and now you must visit the dealer or know someone that can do it for you. If you have never received the code, then you're probably lucky to have the original firmware.

Here is the link to the TSB:

Here is an interesting comment from Phil about it as well:

Off-Topic: I have one car with the original firmware, and had one without it. Interestingly, I found that the car with the newer flash was able to throw a CEL when the O2 sensors were mixed up upstream/downstream, whereas the original flash will not throw a CEL, but will also never set the readiness monitor for the catalyst, which will not allow the SMOG test to be run and leave you scratching your head until you figure out the sensors are cross wired.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
2005-2007 MY US Lotus Vehicles had a great firmware feature where no CEL would be thrown when the VIN was lost in the ECU by a slowly undervolting battery situation. Despite the fact that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) doesn't appear to even use this feature as part of the test, they made Lotus create a flash for the car that throws a CEL P0630 when the VIN equals the default VIN number. My guess is that Lotus engineers were unable to resolve the forgetfullness problem with their ECU and simply prevented the CEL code from executing; but that's just a guess. At any rate, if you have a car with the desirable older firmware, then your car probably already has a default VIN, since it's so easy to cause the issue, but it will not throw a CEL and will not cause your SMOG test to fail. If you are getting the P0430, then someone did reflash the car and now you must visit the dealer or know someone that can do it for you. If you have never received the code, then your probably lucky to have the original firmware.

Here is the link to the TSB:

Here is an interesting comment from Phil about it as well:

Off-Topic: I have one car with the original firmware, and had one without it. Interestingly, I found that the car with the newer flash was able to throw a CEL when the O2 sensors were mixed up upstream/downstream, whereas the original flash will not throw a CEL, but will also never set the readiness monitor for the catalyst, which will not allow the SMOG test to be run and leave you scratching your head until you figure out the sensors are cross wired.
Interesting but I think Lotus may have accomplished by 2008 when the vin # doesn't match and/or lost, the check engine light comes on and won't clear. It happened to me and mine is an 08.
Although, I had BOE put the vin# back; Phil did say he could see the vin# and wasn't sure why the P0630 code was coming up (validating what the dealer said) so maybe mine was just an anomaly. At any rate, Phil fixed it and I was able to get my car to pass smog.
BTW - I took my car to a local dealer FIRST to resolve the vin# issue and they said they couldn't fix it and would have to buy a "NEW" ECU. They told me they could see the vin# and didn't know why the error code and check engine light wouldn't clear.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting but I think Lotus may have accomplished by 2008 when the vin # doesn't match and/or lost, the check engine light comes on and won't clear. It happened to me and mine is an 08.
Although, I had BOE put the vin# back; Phil did say he could see the vin# and wasn't sure why the P0630 code was coming up (validating what the dealer said) so maybe mine was just an anomaly. At any rate, Phil fixed it and I was able to get my car to pass smog.
BTW - I took my car to a local dealer FIRST to resolve the vin# issue and they said they couldn't fix it and would have to buy a "NEW" ECU. They told me they could see the vin# and didn't know why the error code and check engine light wouldn't clear.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you roundabout for info and link to TSB. (tech service bulletin ?). So I have the code PO630 and a pending dealer service next week. Can you tell us what the Lotus/Dealer obligation is for the TSB that you referenced......Lotus Bulletin Number: 2012/02 R ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my Elise serviced by my local Lotus dealer to clear the code PO 630 and all is well. In the interest of closure and with thanks to all who gave good advice this is how the dealer wrote it up:
"Verified and found check engine light on. Found code for incompatible VIN/vehicle. VIN not coded into ECU. Coded VIN into ECU using LOTUSTECH. Took several attempts, VIN coded successfully into ECU. Cleared codes, test drove, vehicle operating to manufactures specifications." total invoice $105. It was a good experience and I am very happy that the mechanic did not give up !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts