The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW

If someone got your VIN from the internet, went to the dealer and managed to get a key cut, they would have to find your car to steal it. If the found it, they would have the VIN anyway because you can see it through the windsheild.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Most places require that you provide your registration before they will cut a key by VIN. Also, the dealership or locksmith typically have to contact the manufacturer to get the key cut code.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I won't close this thread, but I would caution anyone against posting your VIN number on the internet due to the uncertainty about new keys as mentioned above. I don't think there'd be any risk with posting the last five digits of your VIN, as one of the other digits is supposedly a check digit.

(I'm editing this thread title to be more descriptive)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
MattG said:
I don't think there'd be any risk with posting the last five digits of your VIN, as one of the other digits is supposedly a check digit.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

There is zero difference between posting your last three or four Elise VIN digits and the entire stinkeen VIN.

Every car so far is SCCPC111_5HL30xxx. If only the check digit is unknown, it's easy to compute from the other digits. (Heck, I posted dirty Perl code in another thread to do it.)

That said, I hope we can get some assurance that even a shady dealer would not be able to cut a key from just the VIN.

How is it possible for there to be a database of VINs to Key Codes accessible by the dealer when they can't even tell us where/when the cars are? That would be totally surreal. I'm scared.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop, thanks for the correction.

Even if someone does get a key made, they still have to get past the immobilizer (not to mention the alarm, if it's been activated).

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
stolen cars

my personal experience in what type of cars are typically stolen is this:

very few high end cars are stolen. the most commonly stolen cars are cars that sell in very high volume. Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, Nissan Maximas/Altimas are stolen quiet often. The typical car thief is either looking for a parts car or a joy ride.

now having said that, the high end cars that are stolen are not recovered as often as the common cars. high end cars end up in chop shops or disappear altogether (vin switches or taken out of the country?). many high end cars nowadays have computer chips in their keys to keep the "hotwiring" thieves at bay.

joy riding "kids" look for the easiest car to steal. years ago an 80s era Toyota Van was a very popular car to steal because the locks and ignitions had been worn to the point where you could take a filed down key to open and start the car. the 1st generation RX7s were also very popular because they were easy to steal and owners needed the rear ends as they were blowing out constantly. mustangs were also stolen at a high rate ((very easy to steal) because their parts were interchangable over a large range of model years (you could update your 1979 mustang to look like an 88 mustang very easily).

i speak from experience living and working in SF. every city is unique. NY has a very high rate of thefts on Altimas/Maximas - apparently for their HID lights.

will i worry about my elise getting stolen? well of course, but i know the chances of my 1990 honda accord getting stolen are much higher.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Automotive equivalent of stating "my sister smoked until the day she gave birth and her kids turned out fine. Therefore, all you folks who think smoking can harm a child are worried over nothing."

There is risk in posting a VIN in a public forum. One of my personal friends had his RX-7 stolen as a result of doing it. After the thief was arrested, he confessed that he had a key cut at the Mazda dealership with the individuals VIN (which the owner had listed via the the internet).

RE needing a registration. That's not the case - I've personally cut keys for friends without them!
Best,
John

BrianK said:
www.ebay.com

thousands of vins posted there.

I don't think it's that much of an issue.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Is it true that a key alone can not start the Elise?

That is, if you have the correct key, but no key fob for the alarm/immobilizer, can you start the car and drive it?

My other cars are not this way. The mechanical key in the door lock will disarm the alarm, and when it's going off, you can use the ignition key to silence it. In other words, no fob is needed to drive the car.

Is our Elise different? Would it follow that the fob is critical then -- a dead battery or water-soaked fob would make the car undrivable?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Without the FOB you cannot start the car with a key. period. The only way to get another FOB is to use the emergency key card issued when you take deliver. This should be locked away in a safe place. It has an S/N number and a pin number. These are unrelated to the VIN #.

Hope that eases some minds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts