The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery died (it was on a battery tender but the outlet fuse blew.. long story) so I had the battery replaced today. Now the car is throwing a P0630 code, so it looks like I need to have the VIN set into the ECU using a special Lotus tool: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f334/code-p0630-no-dealer-within-1500-miles-help-100433/

Now that Euromotorcars Lotus closed, the nearest dealer appears to be in Princeton, NJ. Does anyone know if there's a place locally that may have this tool and can do the reset?

If not, I'll see about removing the ECU and shipping it to Princeton, assuming they're open to doing it that way.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was in touch with the dealers in Princeton and Pittsburgh, and neither was open to me shipping the ECU to them... and as nice as both those cities are, I'm not eager for a road trip of that length.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
VF will take care of it, local.
The same VF that blew up your motor, Mick? Be careful of any subsequent tune recommendations then!

There's an error in the firmware that we or a Lotus can rectify... I'm largely offline over the race season as that has become a full time project in the summer... If you still have the issue in the fall months, we can sort it for you. In the meantime, a dealer would be best.

Phil

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,377 Posts
The same VF that blew up your motor, Mick? Be careful of any subsequent tune recommendations then!

There's an error in the firmware that we or a Lotus can rectify... I'm largely offline over the race season as that has become a full time project in the summer... If you still have the issue in the fall months, we can sort it for you. In the meantime, a dealer would be best.

Phil
I just have to point out that it's 3:03 in the morning (Phil's time) and Phil is chiming in. I for one appreciate Phil's dedication.

San

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Thanks, San!

As the saying goes; "There's no rest for the weary!"

Really excited for late summer to release a lot of cool stuff we've been working on!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,377 Posts
Thanks, San!

As the saying goes; "There's no rest for the weary!"

Really excited for late summer to release a lot of cool stuff we've been working on!

Cheers,

Phil
I always remember it as "There's no rest for the wicked."

San

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
San, keep the thread on topic - you can give PV a big hug next time you see him.

Phil, my recommendation is solely related to the VIN correction, which is something I had to go through last year and I had them fix it as they had turned off some of the monitors.

Two points here:

- The OP resides within a local distance to VF
- He mentioned that he's already had a challenge with shipping the ECU out.

Now if the thread were related to tuning and building a car - well you/me both are on the same page :)

OP, good luck, in no way am I endorsing any of the said vendors here, but just providing you with an easy route to get the VIN issue sorted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips. I called up TurboXS, which is less than 10 miles away, and they said they should be able to do it. I've got a lot of travel coming up so I probably won't get to this until August, but I'll report back then on how it went.

I just realized too why it's important to have this addressed -- at least in MD, you can't pass the bi-annual emissions inspection if your check engine light is on. What I don't know is if the new self-service kiosks check for this also when you plug in the OBD.. but I also don't plan on finding out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd be interested in how you end up getting your VIN reset because I'm local to the DMV area.

Thanks for the tips. I called up TurboXS, which is less than 10 miles away, and they said they should be able to do it. I've got a lot of travel coming up so I probably won't get to this until August, but I'll report back then on how it went.

I just realized too why it's important to have this addressed -- at least in MD, you can't pass the bi-annual emissions inspection if your check engine light is on. What I don't know is if the new self-service kiosks check for this also when you plug in the OBD.. but I also don't plan on finding out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd be interested in how you end up getting your VIN reset because I'm local to the DMV area.
I had my VIN get erased when I removed my front clam to fix the resistor pack... I am interested as well because I have emissions coming up next year.

For those that have had it fixed (not through Lotus) how much did it cost? Lotus of Bethesda, before they shut down, quoted me 100 bucks to get a VIN rewritten.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had my VIN get erased when I removed my front clam to fix the resistor pack... I am interested as well because I have emissions coming up next year.

For those that have had it fixed (not through Lotus) how much did it cost? Lotus of Bethesda, before they shut down, quoted me 100 bucks to get a VIN rewritten.
if i read the code correctly, it looks like a simple obd message resets the vin in the ecu. i don't know anything about firmware bugs which would make the car not remember the re written vin, though.

if you wanted to be a guinea pig, @cybernet outlined the CAN message that you'd have to send to a car with a t4e ecu ('06+) to reset the vin. similarly, the message structure for the t4 ecu ('05) had also been published. these methods would allow you to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I read Obeisance's daft disassembly doc and I was able to partially reset the VIN for my 2005 Lotus Elise using a bluetooth ELM327 OBD Adapter and a free Android ELM327 Terminal App.

OBD Mode 3B PID 1 works:
"3B 01 30 4C 33 31 38"

"30 4C 33 31 38" are the hex values of the VIN as follows:
######################
# get HEX value for VIN
######################
# VIN SCCPC11105HL31834
# VIN MASK SCCPC111-5H------
# ASCII 0 L31834
# ASCII 0 L 3 1 8 3 4
# HEX 30 4C 33 31 38 33 34
######################

I couldn't get the OBD Mode 3B PID 2 to work:
I tried "3B 02 33 34" and "3B 02 33 34 00 00 00" and both don't work.

I tentatively believe that the VIN gets reset (at least for my ECU), when the battery is disconnected or there's a short somewhere). I'll have to confirm this tomorrow.

if i read the code correctly, it looks like a simple obd message resets the vin in the ecu. i don't know anything about firmware bugs which would make the car not remember the re written vin, though.

if you wanted to be a guinea pig, @cybernet outlined the CAN message that you'd have to send to a car with a t4e ecu ('06+) to reset the vin. similarly, the message structure for the t4 ecu ('05) had also been published. these methods would allow you to fix it yourself.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I read Obeisance's daft disassembly doc and I was able to partially reset the VIN for my 2005 Lotus Elise using a bluetooth ELM327 OBD Adapter and a free Android ELM327 Terminal App.

OBD Mode 3B PID 1 works:
"3B 01 30 4C 33 31 38"

"30 4C 33 31 38" are the hex values of the VIN as follows:
######################
# get HEX value for VIN
######################
# VIN SCCPC11105HL31834
# VIN MASK SCCPC111-5H------
# ASCII 0 L31834
# ASCII 0 L 3 1 8 3 4
# HEX 30 4C 33 31 38 33 34
######################

I couldn't get the OBD Mode 3B PID 2 to work:
I tried "3B 02 33 34" and "3B 02 33 34 00 00 00" and both don't work.

I tentatively believe that the VIN gets reset (at least for my ECU), when the battery is disconnected or there's a short somewhere). I'll have to confirm this tomorrow.
does the car respond to both messages that you send? the bytes it sends may indicated why the second message did not work.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alright, I guess that 'no data' is what the appropriate response packet would look like with the header and sum byte removed.

Unlike my examples to you in PMs, you correctly tried to send a full set of bytes as an alternate strategy once the first attempt failed.

I mean to say, for both messages the code checks for at least 11 received bytes (3 header bytes, mode byte, PID (1 or 2), 5 data bytes and a sum byte). According to that, your second attempt should have worked.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Have you tried sending other bytes for the null characters in the second message? I see no reason for the code to prefer one or another, but 0x0 should pull the serial line to low voltage for a 'prolonged' time and 0xFF would pull it high. I'm really grasping at straws here.

I'm also a bit curious about the process you used- was each message sent individually after an OBD init (thus allowing for recovery from the OBD bus timeout due to line idle conditions), or were all of your messages sent immediately one after another?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sent them individually and did a Mode 9 PID 0x02 right afterwards to check if the VIN's been updated. I believe that the ELM327 chip does keep-alive and bus inits as needed.

Alright, I guess that 'no data' is what the appropriate response packet would look like with the header and sum byte removed.

Unlike my examples to you in PMs, you correctly tried to send a full set of bytes as an alternate strategy once the first attempt failed.

I mean to say, for both messages the code checks for at least 11 received bytes (3 header bytes, mode byte, PID (1 or 2), 5 data bytes and a sum byte). According to that, your second attempt should have worked.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Have you tried sending other bytes for the null characters in the second message? I see no reason for the code to prefer one or another, but 0x0 should pull the serial line to low voltage for a 'prolonged' time and 0xFF would pull it high. I'm really grasping at straws here.

I'm also a bit curious about the process you used- was each message sent individually after an OBD init (thus allowing for recovery from the OBD bus timeout due to line idle conditions), or were all of your messages sent immediately one after another?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts