The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this pic on the net and was wondering what something like this would cost. Ive always loved the looks of vintage indy cars like this. Is there any way to get into one of these for a normal amount of money? Lotus or any other like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Check out Colin Chapman's son's site. They own the cars, maintain them and you lease them. If you win the lottery ... I'll try to find a link.

Classic Team Lotus. Go to the Lotus USA site, click "company" and go to page 8. Down at the bottom is the link.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
The Formula Junior Type 20 that's in that photo is for sale for about $80,000. Jump on it!

The thing to think about is that the purchase price for a vintage formula car is small compared to the cost of running it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The Formula Junior Type 20 that's in that photo is for sale for about $80,000. Jump on it!

The thing to think about is that the purchase price for a vintage formula car is small compared to the cost of running it.
:thwack: I'm still kicking my self for selling my Lotus 22 (looks very similar, but had disks all around) back in '79 for $3,500.:(

Formula Jr. was basically a scaled down version of Formula 1 - the engines were smaller with less power, and a lot less expensive. They weren't Indy cars. In many cases, the difference between a Formula 1 and a Formula Jr. was simply the engine.

The engine in my Lotus 22 was a Cosworth, based on a Ford Kent engine - similar to a Formula Ford engine. Unless you are going all out to win at all costs, it shouldn't be that expensive to run one.

My car was similar to the one below:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
F/Jr engines are 1100cc. The most popular and successful engine was the 105E Ford, commonly found in the Ford Anglia. The 105E pre-dates the Kent block w/ 5 mains and comes with only 3 mains. Over rev = broken crank w/ optional inspection hole in the side of the block.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ran a Lotus 51 Formula Ford (1967--first Formula Ford--see my avatar) for 12 years. F Fords are much cheaper than F. Juniors, but they look just as good, and the performance is about the same. Even got to the Monterey Historics in '95 when it was a tribute to Lotus. Then got my picture on the track in Road and Track--highlight of my career. Had to go to drivers's class (we all did) and who is sitting a couple of seats away from me was Stirling Moss!. Look into Formula Fords. the 51 in particular. Don't cost much, and are fairly cheap to run.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
F/Jr engines are 1100cc. The most popular and successful engine was the 105E Ford, commonly found in the Ford Anglia. The 105E pre-dates the Kent block w/ 5 mains and comes with only 3 mains. Over rev = broken crank w/ optional inspection hole in the side of the block.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
:thwack: Opps! I always though the 105E was a Kent block too. I knew that they were 1100cc and three bearing, instead of the five bearing in the Kent block in the Elan.

In any case, I never had to get into the engine on my 22, just the Webbers and some other smaller things. I bought it with plans to go vintage racing (for fun), but then I met the girl of my dreams and needed the down payment for the house. I got to keep the Elan, but the 22 had to go. I never did get the 22 on a track, just a couple of spirited runs around the block. :(;)

I later heard that the guy I sold to sold it years later to someone in Japan. In hindsight, it would have been a better investment to have sold the Elan and kept the 22. :shrug:

But I still have the girl of my dreams, and that's the most important thing. :D

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
:thwack: Opps! I always though the 105E was a Kent block too. I knew that they were 1100cc and three bearing, instead of the five bearing in the Kent block in the Elan.
But I still have the girl of my dreams, and that's the most important thing. :D
I was just being picky. :rolleyes:

The Kent is the Ford 116E, with 5 mains. The original Twink was designed around the 109E, 3 mains, but then Lotus realized that the 116E was coming and switched. In fact if I recall some of the very very first Elans went out with a 109E block, but then were "recalled" and swapped for a 116E based block.

The later is ALWAYS the most important...

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I was just being picky. :rolleyes:
Hey, I'm just getting old and senile... rotfl

Feel free to be picky all you want. Especially when you're right...;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You can occasionally find a Lotus type 61, (see my avatar) for 10 to 25k depending on condition. Easy to maintain, fun to race. You won't necessarily finish first but can be competitive depending on the region and participants.
Parts are readily available and relatively inexpensive.
There is also a Lotus type 69 in FF1 prep for sale somewhere. The owner is located in Colorado. Nice car and the price may be reasonable.

Al B
Team LOST #13
CVAR

·
Registered
157 Posts
Disclaimer-I work at the below mentioned place, in the auto restoration section.

The Barber Vintage Motorsport Museum has one of the largest collections of Lotus race cars. 42 at last count. Most are on the main level for you to view, no ropes of anything you can walk right up. Most of the cars can be run within an hour or so. Tomorrow we will be using our 70 at a Corvette show being held on the grounds. If you are interested in viewing historic Lotus racing cars and a few others up close come by. Some of the Victory by Design show was filmed near our track and with our cars. www.barbermotorsports.com

Oh by the way we have 1,100 motorcycles in our collection also.

Sorry none are for sale, however.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Our local Lotus Colorado Prez owns this
He races it too

It's Type 41 Formula B
Hey Travis!
Everytime I see a pix of Greg's car I have to hit myself in the head for taking soooo long to get this car back on the track... :wallbang: (a sister car to Greg's)

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I love this Board.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts