The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something about this several months back. There is a company here in the states that will bring a 50's-60's mini over here, restore it and retrofit a higher-output Honda motor.

Does anyone have the web address of the company??
Thanks in advance!
Best,
John

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The latest issue of Sport Compact Car (the one with the Elise review, and the flat black STi on the cover) has an article about just such a Mini. Interestingly, it does NOT sound like a very good conversion, or at least, it's one that'll take a lot of work to get it right. The car may have a lot of power, but has revealed weaknesses in the rest of the car (suspension, brakes).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports mag gave the GoMini conversion very high marks for handling. I'll have to check out the Sport Compact article to see why they differ (its the same conversion, right?)

DLY

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
IF YOUR REALLY BRAVE ADD A SECOND DRIVE TRAIN IN THE BOOT AND LINK THE THROTTLES AND GEAR CHANGE.... FOR A 400HP AWD DEATH TRAP!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
etypeiii said:
I'll have to check out the Sport Compact article to see why they differ (its the same conversion, right?)
Not sure if it's the same conversion, the car in this article in in the UK.

P.120

·
Registered
130 Posts
My next door neighbor has a Clubman Mini that has a 1.2 liter Suzuki engine, a Garrett Turbo and an intercooler.

The car is a beast to drive. Even with a limited slip, all of the power seem to jump to one front wheel.

It's incredibly fast but difficult to drive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I finally checked out the SCC mag with the Mini/VTEC conversion. It is very similar but I believe it's a different company. GoMini I believe is a UK company with a US subsidiary. The SCC article features a conversion by a company called Watson. I don't know if they are related in some way.

The conversions are similar but there seem to be differences. They both use a Rover Metro subframe, but the Watson/SCC car uses an MGF steering rack.

As I mentioned above, Grassroots Motorsports in the April 04 issue gave the GoMini conversion high marks for handling. and said the car was free of torque steer (unlike the SCC car.) The SCC car has more power though, being a Type-R motor. Possibly the extra power makes a difference. The SCC car was claimed to go 0-60 in 4.8 sec (as opposed to GM's testing of 6.2 sec for the GoMini car.)

Not knowing more about the specifics and just going off the reviews, the GoMini car seems more refined and developed than the SCC example.

DLY

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'll sell you a pristine turbocharged mini with a built motor :) Big brakes, four pot calipers, vented rotors, racing shocks, beefed up bracing, new stereo, new interior, 13 inch rover mini lights, stainless exhaust, 600 miles on motor, T3 turbo, full racing cage. $17,500

Attachments

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
I'll sell you a pristine turbocharged mini with a built motor :) Big brakes, four pot calipers, vented rotors, racing shocks, beefed up bracing, new stereo, new interior, 13 inch rover mini lights, stainless exhaust, 600 miles on motor, T3 turbo, full racing cage. $17,500
You're selling it already?!?

I'd bite, but I'm trying not to buy any more expensive toys this year - and buying a mini wouldn't lend to that cause ;)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
You're selling it already?!?

I'd bite, but I'm trying not to buy any more expensive toys this year - and buying a mini wouldn't lend to that cause ;)
Well...I lost my job not too long ago, so selling the mini would ease the pain of our second Lotus purchase and our home renovations. I LOVE the car, and honestly I got a killer price on it, I saw a $35,000 mini that wasnt in much better condition than mine, and not as fast. I'm also trying to sell my big turbo miata, I'll keep the one that doesnt sell first. I'd really like to keep the mini, but at this point I've resolved myself to letting one of the cars go.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bobby said:
My next door neighbor has a Clubman Mini that has a 1.2 liter Suzuki engine, a Garrett Turbo and an intercooler.

The car is a beast to drive. Even with a limited slip, all of the power seem to jump to one front wheel.

It's incredibly fast but difficult to drive.
Thats kinda funny :)

When the mini first came out everyone raved about how amazing the handling was compared to anything else of the time :)

Though it only had like 60bhp ...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gromit said:
Thats kinda funny :)

When the mini first came out everyone raved about how amazing the handling was compared to anything else of the time :)

Though it only had like 60bhp ...
My neighbor's Mini is producing ~200HP. The front drive transmission can not adequately handle all of that power (wasn't meant to).

Once it's rolling, the torque steer becomes less evident.

This car would be awesome with either RWD or AWD.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1FL,

Any links to more information on your turbo Mini? The questions I had were:

1) Does the roll cage interfere with car's usability (i.e. passengers and cargo can still get in and out as easily as without it.) The Mini may need the cage depending on the power output...

2) T3 turbo sounds really big for a 1.3 liter powerplant. Does the motor exhibit much lag? (light weight might mask this.)

thanks,

DLY

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The T3 is the stock turbo for the motor. Yes it does lag a bit but I like it that way as it affords the chance to get launched without tearing apart the car.

The rollcage does not interfere with normal driving, the only thing it DOES hinder is access to the back seat. Someone can still sit there, but the bar is diagonal across the seat and makes it harder to get to. You could take the bar out if you HAD to have rear passengers on adaily basis.

I really dont have any links, I can answer any questions you may have via email, [email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm looking for a Mini too but to keep it standard or tune it à la Vizard. I've checked gomini but they are really expensive compared to Europe. Is there another dealer in the US with better prices or should I import one instead?

·
Registered
130 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Thats why they make Jack Knight transmissions.
Jenn, I just spoke to my neighbor and he said the Jack Knight transmission is for the original Mini motor. He has a 1.3 liter Suzuki Turbo motor and says that transmission would not work with his motor.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I guess I didn't read your post, I assumed he had a mini motor.

I have a turbo metro motor in my mini, pushing around 160 to the wheels, so around 200crank...but the turbo metro motor and the mini motor both use the same tranny.

Im sure someone makes a beefier tranny, or he could have his cryogenically treated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts