The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever vinyl wrapped over the star shield? If so what results did you have both after doing it, and if you removed it how did everything look?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I haven’t but I also wouldn’t. I can’t imagine it would turn out well. The only way I think you could get away with it is if you had a color break along the seam by joining two pieces of vinyl or overlaying another color/stripe.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
I was reading over on the P forums that some were doing it that way with the argument that they didn't want to put PPF over it as they change colors every couple of years and they wanted the protection of PPF.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was reading over on the P forums that some were doing it that way with the argument that they didn't want to put PPF over it as they change colors every couple of years and they wanted the protection of PPF.
What forum is P forum? Thanks

I tried reading up on it on other forums and some have had success with other cars (Other brand PPF) but i wanted to reach out and see if anyone with star shield and vinyl experience.

·
Administrator
8,283 Posts
What forum is P forum? Thanks

I tried reading up on it on other forums and some have had success with other cars (Other brand PPF) but i wanted to reach out and see if anyone with star shield and vinyl experience.
I googled "can you vinyl wrap over ppf"

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
You can wrap over PPF as in it will stick, but does it make sense to..... There isn't a yes/no answer to this, depends what you're planning, how long you want to keep the wrap, and why you're wrapping.

I'm wrapping my Exige right now.
  • My wrap is 4.72mil thick calendared, which is freaking thick (3M 2080 is 2.2mil IIRC) , and will provide some reasonable paint protection from light road debris. PPF is much better for protection, but do you need it?
  • My PPF was removed long ago, along with it came some of the clearcoat/paint in sections also discoloration. Something to keep in mind, yours might just come off without issue as well.
  • Adhesives are not all the same between brands, some have a aggressive 'stick' others are very light. You'll need to check if the manufacture of the vinyl you choose has any disclaimers about covering PPF.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
269 Posts
I have vinyl stripes on top of my PPF and ceramic. It looks fine and I’ve had zero issues with it not sticking.

Reactions: casperspt

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
According to The Who, you can unwrap his knock....Not sure about wrapping it though

·
Registered
2011 Lotus Evora S - 2000 Honda Civic SiR Turbo
211 Posts
My11 is wrapped over the ppf. I don't mind it and I wasn't about to spend time removing it since it's in good condition.

Nobody has every mentioned the lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts