The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have obviously been tons of reports and articles about this and I'm sure many of you are well aware, but here's a good, elaborate article... Viper line may be cut loose | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

What concerns me is not that the Viper will cease to exist, but that it will be sold to a company who will turn it into something like a Corvette, adding weight, luxuries, etc. That stuff "sells", but it would ruin the car.

This makes me want to buy one now more than ever... :(

·
Registered
804 Posts
There have obviously been tons of reports and articles about this and I'm sure many of you are well aware, but here's a good, elaborate article... Viper line may be cut loose | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

What concerns me is not that the Viper will cease to exist, but that it will be sold to a company who will turn it into something like a Corvette, adding weight, luxuries, etc. That stuff "sells", but it would ruin the car.

This makes me want to buy one now more than ever... :(
Uh, the last time I checked Vipers were a lot heavier than modern Corvettes. It is Corvette that went on a major diet with the C6 program.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Uh, the last time I checked Vipers were a lot heavier than modern Corvettes. It is Corvette that went on a major diet with the C6 program.
Curb weights per R & T, August 2008:

Z06 = 3190lbs.

Viper SRT10 = 3400 lbs.

I still want a viper, but them's the facts.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I dont know how they got away with putting a box truck engine in a car and passing it off as a sports car in the first place

·
Registered
121 Posts
I miss owning a Viper, but not the fuel bills. The Exige makes the Viper seem "plush". If I had the room, I would mothball a nice blue/white first generation GTS. Classic....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Weight has little to do with why the Corvette is what it is.
Well then why did you post this?

Bavarian Motorist said:
What concerns me is not that the Viper will cease to exist, but that it will be sold to a company who will turn it into something like a Corvette, adding weight,
The Z06 is both lighter and has far better performance numbers than the Viper.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I posted that I don't want them becoming like Corvettes, adding weight. There are features on a Corvette that if added to the Viper, would in fact add weight. There you go.

The Z06 is both lighter and has far better performance numbers than the Viper.

;) Since you want to talk "performance numbers", tell me which ones are "far better" than the Viper's. They all seem fairly similar to me, at least in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts

I posted that I don't want them becoming like Corvettes, adding weight. There are features on a Corvette that if added to the Viper, would in fact add weight. There you go.

;) Since you want to talk "performance numbers", tell me which ones are "far better" than the Viper's. They all seem fairly similar to me, at least in the same ballpark.
i can tell you that i believe the new viper is the better performer between it and a zo6. the new viper is actually a bit more mod friendly than the old viper...(although you cant beat a small block chevy engine for modding)
the vipers are cool, no doubt.

:)
i just like cool cars and dont let my car snobbery get in the way TOO much.
maybe someday ill find a warm fuzzy place in my heart for the little miata and the mini cooper....they ARE cute!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i can tell you that i believe the new viper is the better performer between it and a zo6. the new viper is actually a bit more mod friendly than the old viper...(although you cant beat a small block chevy engine for modding)
the vipers are cool, no doubt.

i just like cool cars and dont let my car snobbery get in the way TOO much.
maybe someday ill find a warm fuzzy place in my heart for the little miata and the mini cooper....they ARE cute!

LS7 motor = cooler than the SRT motor, IMO.

Is that what you think of the Elise as well? rotfl :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
People will learn to respect the Viper. So many people always have something bad to say but the Vipers are consistently toward the top of the performance lists. Especially the new 600 hp monster. And it also has good control. Most people just cant handle the power.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Viper haters are usually ignorant, such as:

"Truck motor" NOT unless it was the limited run Ram SRT that got a Viper engine. Now there is a V-10 truck engine that is very different in many ways (starting with iron block), but the analogy that the Elise has a Celica/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine is much more apt.

Does not handle. Drive both and then decide. The Elise has better transitional handling, but all together, the Viper is smilar in ultimate grip and performance, you just have to get there differently.

I have both, so I guess I am biased?

On a track, lap after lap, the Elise is better due to its light weight and all that goes with it. On the street or for a few laps, the Viper is better due to its superior power. The New ACR should have it all and crush the Elise in any contest, but it better given it huge price premium. The Viper will also be MUCH more expensive to run on track.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the ls7 is very cool. but the gen 4 srt engine produces 95 more hp and a gob more torque.
the ls7 is most impressive when you figure the zo6 gets abt 28mpg on the highway.
cant go wrong either way.

It's cool to me because it's a 427 pushrod V8 and it makes high peak torque and high peak HP... just something you don't see often. I wouldn't want the LS7 in the Viper. It's not right for the Viper.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Viper haters are usually ignorant, such as:

"Truck motor" NOT unless it was the limited run Ram SRT that got a Viper engine. Now there is a V-10 truck engine that is very different in many ways (starting with iron block), but the analogy that the Elise has a Celica/Matrix/Pontiac Vibe engine is much more apt.

Does not handle. Drive both and then decide. The Elise has better transitional handling, but all together, the Viper is smilar in ultimate grip and performance, you just have to get there differently.

I have both, so I guess I am biased?

On a track, lap after lap, the Elise is better due to its light weight and all that goes with it. On the street or for a few laps, the Viper is better due to its superior power. The New ACR should have it all and crush the Elise in any contest, but it better given it huge price premium. The Viper will also be MUCH more expensive to run on track.
i agree. in fact ive stated that b4, particularly abt the transitional handling.
ive owned both but not concurrently, but what do i know?
cars like zo6s and vipers stress throttle control, which is something that isnt always as prevalent to people who arent used to hp/tq monsters. car control, just different.
in fact, im surprised more lotus folks dont appreciate the viper more. its a pure, raw, driving experience...many similarities, and few differences.
i enjoy them all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts