The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did test drive one many years ago. I do remember it's brutal acceleration and minimal interior amenities.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Has anyone owned or drove a Viper? What are your thoughts about the styling and handling compared to the Evora?
As pointed out the cars are so different that they are not comparable in many ways. But, you also didn't say which gen Viper you're asking about. The current one is different than past generations in some ways.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I drove a new Viper back in November. Went to buy a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the dealer had 2 Vipers on the floor. They noticed I had a Lotus and went into hard sell mode right away. I think they wanted me to buy a Jeep and a Viper.
Long story short they let me test drive the Viper with a salesman. At that time really did not get to push the Viper that much.
Fast forward to 2 weeks later. I go to pick up my new Jeep. When I arrive they told me the jeep was getting the backup camera fitted ( Wranglers do not have backup cameras from factory) and they need to go get it from the shop. The Dealership owner says he needs to take one of the Vipers to the shop to get it detailed for a show and ask if I will take the Viper and drop it off at the shop for detailing and I could pick up my Jeep while I was there.
The shop was about 15 miles from the dealer. To my surprise no one from the dealership rode with me. That 15 miles took me a bit over 45 minutes to cover with included "shortcuts"

Impressions

Plenty of power
Clutch release a bit higher than I would like
nice much upgraded interior
pretty good highway ride, but exhaust drone about 60mph, goes away at about 90
120mph feels like 65. car is very stable at high speed "at least that is what I'm told:rolleyes:"
As far as road feel goes, not so good. Hard to tell where the wheels are at any one time. hard corning a bit touch and go.
Viper feels almost heavy and awkward, compared to a Lotus
Back seems like it wants to swap end with the front when getting on the power too quick.
visibility and driving position not to my liking. really sit down very low (even compared to the Evora)
The hood goes on for ever (feel like your looking over a huge penis, which in a way you are)
Good audio
Great startup sound

The Viper is a "Muscle Car" through and through while the Evora is more of a "finesse car". Very different animals to be sure

I did love the styling and got just as many looks in the Viper as the Evora

I drove the GTS and it was stickered about $130K. I could get two Evoras for that price.

For me, I can have a bunch of fun at legal speeds in the Evora. The Viper would have me behind bars in a week:D
Still a car I would love to have. I liked it more the the Nissan GT-R, but not as much as a Mclaren:UK:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I bought a Gen II back in 2001 for 3 days and returned it. :) The Viper had a twitchy feel to it and actually reminds me more of an Elise than the Evora. Also, reminds me of the Elise because of the narrow focus and spartan interior. Different "spirit" (raw power vs. light weight handling) but similar narrow focus, no compromise, "you're the driver" philosophy to the Elise. The Evora is more of a Corvette philosophy (useable and livable as a daily driver).

My dad had a Dodge Ram pick up at the time. And, I remember the Viper driving like a low, fast, and less stable truck with stiffer suspensions. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Allan and Chhirowolf for your insight! I like your metaphor too Chhirowolf. Not to brag, but I am used to looking over a huge p****.:cool:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thanks Allan and Chhirowolf for your insight! I like your metaphor too Chhirowolf. Not to brag, but I am used to looking over a huge p****.:cool:
Yes. It does feel big and wide. -poke- I traded in my Boxster for the Viper and, when I returned the Viper and picked up the Boxster, it was like putting on a glove driving the Viper was like an oven mitt.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I rented a Viper for one day. I think it was a 2001 to 2005 era model.

I really liked the looks. My teen daughter thought it looked bland.

I liked the power and the engine sound. It felt like a "special" car to me and I felt young driving it.

The bad points were:

1) It used about 2x as much gas as my Elise.
2) The muffler pipe along the side made the cabin very hot in summer.

The Elise felt very planted after driving the Viper for a day.

The Elise and the Viper are very different but I like both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a long torso. I can fit inside the Evora with room to spare. My head is flat against the roof of the current gen Viper making it impossible to safely drive. A single bump would crack my neck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I drove a 2006 for about a month ... loved the Massive power and the style ... the interior was cheap feeling and it really got loose very easily.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson said the Evora's handling was telepathic.
He said the Viper handles like it was drunk.
:eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was looking at an ACR Viper this past fall. Power is significantly better than the Evora and in a straight away it is ridiculously fast. It is very capable (at least the ACR) on a track, but it drives much differently than the Evora. It can be tail happy at any time if you are not careful, and you have to drive reserved.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Viper=sledgehammer
Evora=scalpel
They are in completely different categories, but there is a misconception that Vipers are straight line fast and corner slow. I have been a passenger in a Viper ACR, driven a base viper on the track at MotorSport Ranch and been on the track in the Atom with a pair of ACR-X cars from the Viper cup series. I refer to the ACR-Xs as cruise missiles. You look in the sideview mirror before the turn and they are a qtr. lap behind and after the turn they are on your bumper. They are very capable track cars, but the consumables are super expensive. Check out the cost of brakes and tires and know that you'll use 3x more than a car like the Lotus. I wouldn't own one, but I get the appeal.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Consumables, that is an important consideration. The GT3 RS is a fine track car but the cost of running eats your lunch.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Had a 99 GTS, drove it on the street and track. One of my favorite cars of all time. Liked the power, lack of "safety" controls (no abs, no traction control, etc.). Loved the look and the car got more attention than any car I have owned except my Diablo. It was a great, great car.

Tracked the car several times. As stated contrary to popular belief the car does handle well but is a bit heavy. For example the 99 GTS was a bit faster than a 996 Turbo and a bit slower than a 996 GT2 at Road Atlanta. I enjoyed driving the car but it did eat brakes in a big way. If you plan on tracking the car you are going to need to upgrade the brake cooling in the front, switch pads, and move to a high temp fluid. Lap times are my main measurement but I can say that the feel of a Lotus is much better. I actually enjoyed driving my Exige S1 on track more than the Viper. The Exige was fast everywhere and was ok on the back straight. The Viper was slower turns 1-7 but would run over 160 mph on the back straight. Given the brake issues I was never as comfortable in heavy braking zones in the Viper as the Exige due to the higher speeds and spotty brake performance on the Viper.

Downside for me was service. While there are Dodge dealers everywhere very few have Viper techs. I had some concerns about my local dealer tech so I would drive 1 hour plus for service (this is in Atlanta). Once I did that to find that the tech called in sick that day and I had to come back another day. I would still own the car (loved it that much) but the other dealer's tech wrecked the car when it was in for service. I made the dealer buy the car from me and never got another one. That being said it remains one of the favorite cars I have owned.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts