The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm planning on attending that event (ditto the kudos on MDA and the Grand East configuration in a Lotus). If you want to caravan down Friday we could do that; let's touch base that week. I guess I need to actually register first huh? :)

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on attending that event (ditto the kudos on MDA and the Grand East configuration in a Lotus). If you want to caravan down Friday we could do that; let's touch base that week. I guess I need to actually register first huh? :)
despite the downpours the MDA event at Shen, i enjoyed it and thought it to be well run last year

i was checking out the track configs and grand east certainly breaks up that back straight into something a bit more lotus-friendly.

i'll probably be about six tons of slowly rolling roadblock... probably not the optimal caravan mate. if anyone else is dragging their garage down with them, then i'd be happy to tag along, given that i'll be a newb to towing a large trailer.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I could do this.

Would this be a good event for a first timer?
first timer at a track or first timer at VIR?

if first on a track, then i humbly suggest that you try to sneak in an event at SP prior to trekking down to VIR. it'll give you a chance to get familair with the much car closer to home. maybe try to get in the 5/23 FATT (waitlisted) or the mid-may weekend Track Daze event. your head will be spinning for your first day or two, so why waste that on VIR?

$0.02

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You know what, I think I'll be back in DC the following week. Perhaps I can convince my father to loan me his Miata and I'll fly out early... :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Would this be a good event for a first timer?
Pros:
1) MDA is a very friendly and safe organization because there is typically a very low amount of jackassery tolerated by their stewards;
2) VIR is pretty wide open so there is not much to hit of you go off track;
3) Ace10 is bringing his whole garage in case you have mechanical issues ;)

Cons:
1) Summit Point is closer for you and there are many novice-oriented events there too;
2) the Grand East configuration has a lot of turns to remember so you may find it a little daunting, but you'll be in the novice group anyway so the pace will be more "relaxed" giving you the opportunity to learn the line.

·
Registered
992 Posts
first timer at a track or first timer at VIR?

if first on a track, then i humbly suggest that you try to sneak in an event at SP prior to trekking down to VIR. it'll give you a chance to get familair with the much car closer to home. maybe try to get in the 5/23 FATT (waitlisted) or the mid-may weekend Track Daze event. your head will be spinning for your first day or two, so why waste that on VIR?

$0.02
I did my raceschool there, and i think that if u have time and excellent instruction, its an awesome place to learn! But we were all newbs driving the same cars at the same level.

If there are various skill levels among participants, then it could be quite hairy! there's a lot to stay on top of there for a new driver. Be careful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's the Grand East? the 4.2 mile layout?

I have about 10 days on the full course and 1 on the south (motorcycle) but never have driven the north or grand course. Should be better for small underpowered cars like my Miata.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
What's the Grand East? the 4.2 mile layout?
Yes, you essentially run the Full Course, except that on the back straight you take Bitch into the South Course. Where the S. Course comes in at top of the hi-speed esses, it cuts through to where North Course T7 tracks out and continues through Stevie Wonder and back on the Full Course at the end of the back straight. So you get the best out of 3 courses (except for the insane braking zone at the end of the back straight (my favorite out there)). Only problem is that with HPDE groups, it takes a long time to clear the field due to the sheet length of track.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks the guidance all. VIR appealed to be as there is a lot of grass before you find a wall. I'll try and sign up for track daze in may to get started.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I will be instructing with them at that event too.

ACE10,
If you want to caravan, lemmie know. My dad and I usually leave from his house in Dumfries the day before (so Friday morning for the Sat/Sun events).

He sold his Flyin Miata, and most likely his trailer, but if he didn't sell the trailer, we will be trailering the lotus...

Geeze, how many times can a guy say trailer in one sentence...

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like fun, I remember the bitch (decreasing radius) corner, I was ~ 150 on my R6 before braking for that corner. Then the roller coaster afterwards.

That's a lot of corners to learn, I am still learning the full course. I trail brake into 14 now. I used to brake, then get back on the gas, brake again.

Yes, you essentially run the Full Course, except that on the back straight you take Bitch into the South Course.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Anybody want to loan me a car? ;)

That's a lot of corners to learn, I am still learning the full course. I trail brake into 14 now. I used to brake, then get back on the gas, brake again.
No, compress the braking zone so that at the bottom of the hill you point in to the inside corner of T14, mash the brakes at the car compresses, and so that as you are cresting the hill you hardly make the turn-in to T14 (again, on the inside racing line). That was in my heavy 350Z at 141mph on the back straight (datalogger), so the Lotus point will be MUCH later - just make sure to get hard on the brakes while the suspension is still fully weighted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am driving a Miata at 110MPH, I should be able to compress my braking more there. Last year was a Corvette at 150ish, it's been a tough transition.

Anybody want to loan me a car? ;)

No, compress the braking zone so that at the bottom of the hill you point in to the inside corner of T14, mash the brakes at the car compresses, and so that as you are cresting the hill you hardly make the turn-in to T14 (again, on the inside racing line). That was in my heavy 350Z at 141mph on the back straight (datalogger), so the Lotus point will be MUCH later - just make sure to get hard on the brakes while the suspension is still fully weighted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts