The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our little car group finished off the year with a VIR trip. Small group of about 35 guys split into two groups so as much track time as you could ever want.

@eldonz generously offered to take up mine and @PhilTrill in his trailer and stay in the RV on track. Now, you cant really call this a trailer, and you cant really call it a RV! I also have to say life only goes down from here since Eldon set the bar so damn high!

I could type pages and not get all the experience of what we packed into a day and a half. These things are so much more than the cars, the track. We hung out the night before. Chicago Motorcars of the carolinas sent their RV and Sam to do a cookout for us. Burgers and hot dogs never tasted so good especially with a few beers. We got to use the pagoda room which a fierce battle of corn hole went down till we all turned in.

Up early in the AM as my valve stem fell victim to a tie down. The great thing is there is a race shop on sight and we had the tire back on just after parade laps were done.

Driving VIR in real life was so much really cool. Especially after putting so many laps on the sim in prep. The SIM did a great job of track awareness and knowing what was coming, but VIR is much more technical IRL than the sim translates. Also with the real life fear factor of going off one of the hills, one is not as brave about the uphill esses and you dial in your window of what you are comfortable with.

Eldon took both my son and I out on track. He helped trying his best to get us to understand the line. Having his experience was incredible. My son came back after a ride with him and he told me he had an "epiphany". So then I went out as a passenger with my son driving. Coming off turn 1into Nascar corner, I almost had a heart attack! (mind you my son is only 14 and this is really his 3rd time ever driving a manual car). I said 'woah' and my son said, "this is they way Eldon told me to take it". And sure enough the car rotated great and carried all it's momentum through 3, 4,5 and on to the lower s's and to the up hill. So cool to see it and even better to ride as a passenger watching your son do it!

The day went on and we had some technical issues. A splitter came off. Pulled a bold head through. Of course Eldon had a full selection of hardware and the car was back up and running in no time. My son and I swapped the last few sessions and we all decided to call it a day when Phil hit his break wear indicators. Not hard to hear the squeaks. I started having a cyl 3 miss fire which we think is a coil, but I will inspect cams to be safe. Nice to have a blu tooth OBD II since I was able to reset car and get back out on track. Stated tripping after about 15-20 min of track time. No biggie...reset and continued on.

Phil of course ran some fantastic laps and about finding the limits of his current set up. Me, I had moments where it all clicked mixed with blowing entire sections. That is pretty normal for me. Truly I am still new to track driving and I am not there breaking any records. But I still had all the fun I could ever have wanted.

Loaded up at the end of the, cars all still in one piece and Eldon headed us home. In the grand scheme of things, these are the memories of a life time. It is even better than I could explain and I am so happy to have made new friends and shared these experiences. This is our last track event of the year and we start back up in spring.

Some pics.

This was us 'roughing it'.

Eldon going out with my son

End of a long fun day!

Small clip I stitched together of my most enjoyable part of the weekend! It is so cool when you can learn a thing or two from your 14 year old ;)

Hopefully Phil will post some of his vids!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Awesome! Eldon's setup is enviable, to put it mildly, haha. I'm really hoping to have mine ready for next year, and I'll join y'all (I'm a town over in Mooresville).

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Sounds like you all had a blast! +1 on Eldons enviatable setup and shop. I met him and got the tour a year ago when picking up a set of wheels.

Reactions: itsagoodday

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eldon's set up is beyond words for sure. Excited for him to come out to some of our little group events at CMP next year. He will bring some cred to the Lotus game in a sea of 3RS's ;)

Some of the guys in our group run pretty hard. In fact, one of the guys just broke the all time production car record at VIR in a ACR full stock running stock tires. (unofficially) Pretty amazing since it was very cold and he got held up at the start. But last time he ran the track he missed it by only .5 sec. This time he nailed not only the ACR record, but beat the record of any production car! Needless to say the guy can drive.

His time was 1:56.77. Here is a vid to his run.

One of the other guys brought a brand new STO out to the track and this is a shot of his spedo down the back stretch.
Phil rode along with him and I think is still recovering. :)

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
874 Posts
Looks like fun! You will have to drop me a line next time you guys roll down. Im always down for renting a place on the track and enjoying the views.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It was great to meet everyone. Hopefully meet up again soon, I want to make the trip down to CMP next year for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was an epic experience for me. Great hanging with @eldonz, @itsagoodday and meeting @friss. I was pretty intimidated after the drivers meeting and going out in the AM in 30 degree weather and frozen tires but as the day warmed up my confidence grew and ended up running 2:21's with 0.67% variance in laps in the last session of the day. Riding in Scott's STO was incredible. Since its Thanksgiving I gotta say im overwhelmed with how thankful I am to have incredible people like @itsagoodday @eldonz and the rest of the CLT Speed crew in my life.

Here are a few videos from the day:

My fastest lap of the day (2:21.18)

Me chasing a built E36 M3 track car with an instructor driving

Lambo STO battling a gang of Porsches and a Radical SR3

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool watching your vids. Watching your vids, I can totally see the aero wall I was running into at 110 plus from all the drag.

Here is a vid that shows it pretty good. Would have been interesting to see what your would have run in mine. I think the downforce helps at CMP, but at VIR, I think a flatter wing adjustment may be in order.

Or..... MOAR power ! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts