And Macintosh computers are NOT exempt.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I guess i have been living in a cave, this is the first i am hearing of this

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
It just pisses me off to no end to see this crap. What kind of sick people would get their jollies by screwing up peoples computors? Probably tortured small animals too!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yes, I went to the government site to confirm my DNS has not been re-directed. I also can confirm it with the classical IPCONFIG /ALL. I keep a copy of my normal IP configs to confirm nothing has changed. This is also important to detect local hacks. I am normally cautious (two layers of NATting, 802.1x and MAC filtering, as well as manual authentication for the wireless, complex PW for domain plus local, CAC authentification for critical work, firewall plus active continuous scan). I got my first (and only) virus back in 1982 (Jerusalem B), and have been cautious ever since. This is a good heads-up for non-geeks, and may prevent them from logging into a fake bank/credit card site tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It just pisses me off to no end to see this crap. What kind of sick people would get their jollies by screwing up peoples computors?
Meh, US governments been going out of its way to do that kind of stuff lately.....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes, I went to the government site to confirm my DNS has not been re-directed. I also can confirm it with the classical IPCONFIG /ALL.
This will only tell you where your computer is sending it's DNS requests. If it is sending requests to your router or another relay that has been compromised, you would still have an problem.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Sorry, I didn't go into wireshark captures performed at my demarc, I am clean all the way. However, if any downstream router is infected, yes, that could be a problem. Last I heard, the IOS on typical routers (cisco, brocade, enterasys, juniper, 3com, hp, etc) are immune to this problem. If somewhere out there, in my path is a PC pressed into routing duties (unlikely), there could be a risk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To check, just do an ipconfig /all and do an nslookup on your DNS addresses.

If it comes back and ends in your specific ISP (Comcast for me) then you are all set.

I'm an IT guy and I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
correct me if i am wrong, but it is possible for your home router to use a different dns server, right?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
correct me if i am wrong, but it is possible for your home router to use a different dns server, right?
Yes you can use ones by say Google instead of you ISP one. I had to do this when I had Charter Cable as websites would often be unreachable. So I switched to Google DNS and didn't have the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts