The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about getting LRG but am worried about other cars seeing me. Is that going to be a big issue?

Edit- I'm thinking of switching to CO.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I think that some people have made too much about the idea that other drivers, especially those in big SUVs, won't be able to see your car. I've been driving a Miata for 14 years and this has not been an issue, in my opinion. There are always going to be some people who drive like they are the only ones on the road, regardless of what you might be driving; you just need to be alert to that possibility.

Parking may be a different case. But again, many people drive like morons and could back into you regardless of the type of car. Even in an SUV, I believe that people can see your car if they bother to look.

·
Registered
670 Posts
GMorel1916 said:
I'm thinking about getting LRG but am worried about other cars seeing me. Is that going to be a big issue?

It will only be a big issue if it's a big car that doesn't see you.
Now logically here what do you think shows up best in all weather and all light conditions against an asphalt road surface ?

Dark Green or Chrome Orange ?

The hard questions start later

Steve

·
Registered
963 Posts
GMorel1916 said:

Get the color you like. Studies have shown that color plays little into accidents. Get a loud exhause and driving lights to make yourself seen. Don't buy a car and then get a color that you don't want, just because you "think" it will make you seen.

Sorry, I don't have the link, but I think it's in this forum. The color of a car didn't decrease your chance of an accident in that study. Just drive defensively, like you were taught in school. I'd not buy a car with a color I didn't want, just to feel safe. If it's that big an issue, get a car you like in the color you like. I feel you should be 100% in love with your car choice. If you can't get the color you want, the takes away from the fun.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Bob A (SD) said:
Visibility? It may be as much a matter of distractions as car size. You see an Elise here?
I do - and first thing I thought - is it saffron or lightening - somebody help me!!!:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
agree!

I agree 100% with "tidalwdave". I had a red Jeep Cherokee with highly polished aluminum wheels, always parked out in the far reaches of lots and twice young ladies in a hurry ran into the same corner of it.
I also pondered endlessly...well, at least til I had to place my order...considering what color would be most visible, what color would best hide the side marker lights, which one would be the coolest (temperature), what color would look best with stripes, which would go best with all the black plastic pieces, what would fade least, how badly would each color show stone chips on the nose, etc., etc., etc.
When it came down to it, I realized that whenever I saw a dark blue vehicle (especially if it was clean and had nice wheels), it just attracted my eye in a positive way more than any other color. There were other colors that stood out...that screamed "Look at me!", but I'm a pretty conservative, low key kind of guy, so that wouldn't fit me. Order what you will enjoy looking at each time you look out the window at it or when you step back for a look after washing it. Good luck. Glad I had to decide a month ago and don't have to do any more 'pondering'. I did almost regret my decision when I finally saw an Elise in Ardent Red. Wow!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Elise will be driven much the same way that I ride my motorcycle. I always assume that other drivers are out to kill me and I take steps to avoid potentially hazzardous situations. Mind reading helps too.;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you ivan1. I think it's Lightning Yellow. Saffron is a little more orange. :) It's a good thing they didn't position the car a little more to the right, you might not be able to see it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
our other option is to just assume we're invisible. I've spent a lot of time on a bicycle, and that's the only assumption to make. I'm sure the motorcycle riders are similarly defensive.

I witnessed a similar SUV 'accident' where there were 2 lanes turning right out of a shopping center. The SUV in the left lane cut a hard turn and piched the (normal sized) car into the curb.

So enjoy the car, just assume you're invisible.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
don't worry about visibility, get a black elise if you really want it. The fact is that there are knuckle drivers out there and YOU are the one that has to be careful. See a big SUV or a sweet old lady in a tank? Get the hell out of it's sight, if you can. Or just back off. 0 -60 in 4.7s (LSS) is more than enough to avoid a lot of unwanted situations.

Never assume what others around you will do. Always be on the offensive. I drive a benz and i was run off the road three times in one afternoon. Lots of dumbasses around, thankfully I was able to avert each one.

my 2 cents,
ara

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: Visibility?

tidalwdave said:
Studies have shown that color plays little into accidents.
What studies do you have in mind? The only one I've seen shows that color does make a difference.

"Silver colored cars are less likely to be involved in a crash causing serious injuries, New Zealand scientists said Friday."

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1455

Common sense says that darker cars are harder to see and therefore more likely to get into an accident, as confirmed by the study above.

·
Registered
114 Posts
HUGE FACTOR HERE

I love the comments about bikes. I trained thousands of miles on pedal bikes, (makes you downright twitchy being we cruised at near city automobile speeds) I've also ridden sport bikes to the end of having permanent numb ass. My LSS will be counted on to get me outta the tight spots (great point). Here's mine. When you finally wiggle into the Elise seat, be ready to drive, really prepared for the pedals, 6 gears and the multitude of idiots that "are trying to kill us". I've seen too many Porshce drivers with their palm pilot propped on the steering wheel, driving with their knee, talking on the cell phone, winking at the blonde in the SLK. Advantage, they have a cupholder for their Latte'. I'm going to be 'wheel to wheel track mindset' for all these coastal tourons (our affectionate term for our tourists here visiting from the nether backwoods). It'll be hard fitting in four traffic cones into the boot to have, to set up around her in the back forty of the mall parking lot?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Visibility?

hatchback said:
What studies do you have in mind? The only one I've seen shows that color does make a difference.

"Silver colored cars are less likely to be involved in a crash causing serious injuries, New Zealand scientists said Friday."

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1455

Common sense says that darker cars are harder to see and therefore more likely to get into an accident, as confirmed by the study above.
Sorry, that was problaby what I was thinking. I guess the point was that "bright" colors don't make a difference, since the silver was the safest. It was a NZ study, so that had to be it.

Thanks! You have a good memory. :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Nice story. However, you can see cars in front of you, so I would believe that she just wasn't paying attention.

Most accidents occur because people are driving too fast for the conditions and aren't paying attention. As mentioned elsewhere, drive defensively and anticipate problems and you should be ok in most situations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I'm second guessing is because I live in West Virginia, land of the lifted pick-ups.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wait a minute in response to this survey:

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1455#TBL1

The population is based on people admitted to the hospital or who died. It would have been a more accurate survey to use the population of vehicles in an accident, rather serious accidents.

1. Color not the determining factor in the accident.
As someone mentioned, serious accidents are more likely to because from a loss of control or excessive speed for the current driving condition.

2. Injuries are dependant on vehicles safty not color.
Also, injuries are also dependent on the protective features of a car. (ie: A silver Volvo has more safty features than a yellow Dodge Neon).

3. Color may be a factor in "grabbing attention" and may prevent accidents where lack of attention was the direct cause. An instance were color may be a factor is getting rear ended while at a stop light. (Red or yellow grabs the attention of the person behind you more that white or gray.) A rear end collision may or may not be enough to send someone to the hospital, but enough to raise insurance premiums, and ultimately, have a direct correlation to the car's color.

I'm not saying we should all change our order to Yellow, Red, and Chrome Orange. I'm just saying there are advantages and disadvantages to color, size, and vehicle choice that people need to be aware of and deal with accordingly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think [hope] that most drivers who are actually buying an Elise are doing so because because they love the act of driving itself. That passion along with some common sense should help to keep most clams intact.

...is this close to Chrome Orange?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts