The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one heard of a Volks Wagon R

A friend told me today, he was at his dealership the sales man told him of new Volks Wagon R with an optional engine option TUV rated, 0-60 3-4 sec, 11sec 1/4 mile, 202 top speed, and will out slalom anything at 70 mph. Is this for real??

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Don't know about a wagon but there is an R32 comming out, it's on the Gulf chasis/body.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't know about the specs, but it appears that VW is going to built an Elise competitor - sometime. The story is that the daughter of the VW CEO owns/owned an Elise, and dad was impressed. Anybody - isn't it called the concept R or something?

Not plugging the website, but VWVortex is a pretty good source of info for VW.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend told me his Volkswagon dealer told him of new a Volks Wagon with an engine option that could produce 0-60 4 sec, 11 sec 1/4 mile, 202 mph, and unheard 70 mph slamon figures. Is this real?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
babak: I just found it, there is video clip of a Volkswagon on the Motor trends website doesnt say much. Its called VW HPR32 and it has 550 hp posted 0-60 3 sec and 1/4 mile 11.4 sec doesnt mention topspeed.

GOOSE: Do they mention if this is a factory option from a dealer??

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
HPA R32 TT

2003 Golf R32 TT by HPA
POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS
Drivetrain layout Front engine, All Wheel Drive Hatchback
Engine type 15° V-6, cast-alum block/head
Valve gear DOHC, 4 valves/cyl, variable valve timing
Bore x stroke, in/mm 84.0mm x 95.9mm
Displacement, ci/cc 3200CC
Compression ratio 7:1
Max horsepower @ rpm 545 @ NA (intake temp of 50°-60°C)
Max torque @ rpm NA
Specific output, hp/liter 170.31
Power-to-weight, lb/hp NA
Max engine speed, rpm 7200
Transmission 6-spd manual
Suspension, front; rear KW Inox Coilover system
Brakes, front; rear 13.1-in vented disc, 10.0-in vented, cross drilled
Wheels, front; rear 18x8 BBS RC
Tires, front; rear 225/40ZR18 Dunlop SP Sports
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase, in
Track, f/r, in
Length, in
Width, in
Height, in
Curb weight, lb
Fuel capacity, gal
TEST DATA
Acceleration, sec
0-30 mph 1.01
0-40 mph
0-50 mph
0-60 mph 3.2
0-70 mph
0-80 mph
0-90 mph
0-100 mph

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 11.4 @ 121 (tested)
Top speed, mph 212
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 107.7
600-ft slalom, mph 70.9
200-ft skidpad, lateral g 0.881
CONSUMER INFO
On sale in U.S. January 03
Base price $31,000 (est)
Price as tested $50,000 (est)

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Est investment 22-25K on top of the R32 (estimate)"

So that would be about $56k (NOT including the install) for a very quick AWD VW Golf. After including the install you're probably well into $70+K :rolleyes:

I'd rather have my Elise and Cooper S thanks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This was the car that I was referring to - the Concept R. I assumed that your original query was about this one, given its similarity to the Elise.

The tuner car in the link is quite different in concept from our beloved Elise -- apples and oranges. I'm sure it's very fast, but I sure wouldn't bank on getting any warranty from your local VW dealer! :D

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
VW showed a supercar concept a few years back, that's the only thing I can think of that would match those performance specs. Of course, along with a supercar comes one very super price, so it's hardly Elise competition.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Trust me, I'm a bonafide VW freak and I post on vwvortex all the time, there is no such car in the works. The R32 can't come close to those numbers, the performance of the R32 tuned by HPA Motorsports is almost beyond comprehension but I'd hardly clasify it as Elise competition. The Bugatti has a theoretical top speed of over 250mph and a price tag north of a million bucks...hardly Elise competition.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Canyon Carver said:
Trust me, I'm a bonafide VW freak and I post on vwvortex all the time, there is no such car in the works. The R32 can't come close to those numbers, the performance of the R32 tuned by HPA Motorsports is almost beyond comprehension but I'd hardly clasify it as Elise competition. The Bugatti has a theoretical top speed of over 250mph and a price tag north of a million bucks...hardly Elise competition.
... and a ride that many a combine harvester driver would laugh at.

Seriously, what are they thinking? The tyres on that car must be made of something practically solid.

Craigy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Volks Wagon HR32 that is in Motor Trend has 0-60 at 3.2 seconds and 1/4 mile at 11 seconds priced at $55K. I would think Motor Trend is a reliable source of information and the HR32 is on the webpage with a video footage of its 1/4 mile time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
excesss said:
The Volks Wagon HR32 that is in Motor Trend has 0-60 at 3.2 seconds and 1/4 mile at 11 seconds priced at $55K. I would think Motor Trend is a reliable source of information and the HR32 is on the webpage with a video footage of its 1/4 mile time.
A tuner car and a factory built model a two completely different animals. I would still kill to own the HPA R32 though.
One of the deciding factors for me in purchasing the Elise was VW took way too long to bring the R32 to the N. American market and when all is said and done it just doesn't have the performance the Euro version does.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts