The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to autocross my ex-Elise and before we were set to run the car, there was a loud pop and then smoke from the boot. WTF? Opening the boot lid there was plastic bits all over the place and a large hole in the Voltphreaks battery and a bizarre looking "snake" of battery guts looking like a large version of the fireworks snakes we played with as a kid.

There was nothing else attached to the battery other than the positive and negative leads (properly connected).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There may be some issue with the car's voltage regulator. I don't know. Last week the original Voltphreaks battery died for no reason. Just quit holding a charge. This was a replacement battery the car owner had from his S2000.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Went to autocross my ex-Elise and before we were set to run the car, there was a loud pop and then smoke from the boot. WTF? Opening the boot lid there was plastic bits all over the place and a large hole in the Voltphreaks battery and a bizarre looking "snake" of battery guts looking like a large version of the fireworks snakes we played with as a kid.

There was nothing else attached to the battery other than the positive and negative leads (properly connected).
There may be some issue with the car's voltage regulator. I don't know. Last week the original Voltphreaks battery died for no reason. Just quit holding a charge. This was a replacement battery the car owner had from his S2000.
Wow, not a good failure mode. -eek- Any damage to the boot/clam?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Just a mess.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Hmmm...

Did you talk to the Voltphreaks folks?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
In school we put sugar in battery acid and it would make a carbon snake up out of the beaker like the fireworks snakes. Smelled like burnt marshmallows too.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
subscribe

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bummer to hear. I hope you find out what happened. So far I have no problems with 4.5lb battery (knocks on wood).

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Banned
241 Posts
This makes me feel better that I sold mine (brand new replacement) at a $100 loss. Taking that "C" note hit hurt but this takes the sting out!:clap: Mine (3 lbs) wasn't able to turn my car over (even though I kept my car in a heated garage, covered & with the Deltran's Battery Minder on it)! I would remove the Deltran's, push the start button, then click-click-click......and then would "barely" turn over! Sent the original back thinking it was the battery.... and got a replacement. Same thing! Got tired of this bullsh*t and replaced it with the OEM Exide (which I never had any problems with in the first place.....just wanted to save on the weight) and problems went away. Appears that the Voltphreaks Battery was too good to be true! :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't feel the same. Mine was good for 6 months of starting. Something else may have gone wrong to cause two failures like this.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This makes me feel better that I sold mine (brand new replacement) at a $100 loss. Taking that "C" note hit hurt but this takes the sting out!:clap: Mine (3 lbs) wasn't able to turn my car over (even though I kept my car in a heated garage, covered & with the Deltran's Battery Minder on it)! I would remove the Deltran's, push the start button, then click-click-click......and then would "barely" turn over! Sent the original back thinking it was the battery.... and got a replacement. Same thing! Got tired of this bullsh*t and replaced it with the OEM Exide (which I never had any problems with in the first place.....just wanted to save on the weight) and problems went away. Appears that the Voltphreaks Battery was too good to be true! :shrug:
I wouldnt say its too good to be true... new technologies tend to be somewhat unreliable at first and thats the price you pay if you wish to be a new adopter. This is exactly what I was talking about six months ago. You just have to be realistic about what to expect. As randy noted he got 6 months out of his battery before it failed and thats not too bad with a new type of battery that is relatively untested.

As usual I take issue not with the new technology but when it is promoted as all good with no bad aspects...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Of course, things like this even happen to old technology. I had a standard lead-acid battery explode on me in my old Honda when I started to crank the engine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Randy, did the blowup cause any damage to your car?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
aw sh*t! I have 4.5# also! :eek: I heard exploding noises when i was asleep 2 nights ago. But car is fine and it happens when the car is being driven? :eek: :eek: Live for 6 months only? Doesn't this battery have 1 year warranty?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts