The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thumbs up to Voltpreaks!

A belated review but here it is. I have been using a VPH450 Voltphreaks battery in my dedicated race car since 2007. Back then I recall meeting Aaron/Tony/Andrew. 3 blokes with a common passion to build light weight LiFePO4 batteries. They needed to test out a prototype battery and I volunteered my car. Since then the race car has been running the battery without a hitch.

Just about a year ago, I bought a 2009 Exige. The car was equipped with the rather weak PC680 with the capacity to hold the charge for at most 3 days. Not wanting to do a trickle charge or a tender, I decided to approach Tony the engineer for a solution.

Much to my amazement, Voltphreaks has a battery that is exactly the same size as the PC680. That means I could use the existing bracket! I went with their VPR-P6 battery that weighs about 5.5lbs. From what I understand, the VPR series uses better components than VPH.

It is equipped with a manual cut-off switch and an automated LVC (low voltage cut-off) feature. The cut-off voltage level can be specified when ordering. There is also a green LED light to indicate whether the battery is "alive". In addition, Tony sent me connectors for a remote switch and complimentary aluminum SAE posts.

Car has been left in the storage for a maximum of 5 weeks with the battery still connected and it started right up without a hiccup. No trickle charge, no trickery, no magic and no gimmicks. Just a battery that works!:clap:

·
Registered
255 Posts
No other battery I have found contains as many features as the Voltphreaks ones- clearly a class leading product. There have been a few instances when the low voltage cutoff function got activated when I left the car sitting in the garage for too long; reviving the battery was as easy as pressing a switch and I started my car without any issues. I am using their VPH750 for nearly 4 years without a single problem. I noticed capacity has gone down a little compared to when I first got the battery so I might send it back to them next year to retrofit new cells and make it like new again.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
They are an amazing product. I tested their light 5.4lb battery without the low volt cutoff circuitry and it was amazing. Put the convertible top up and down 11.5 times before it finally died on my '98 911 cab.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I have had a 4.5lb for ~5+ years now. Never a problem. And never need to trickle charge. Very happy with them.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,061 Posts
I've had the 5.5 lb unit with the button since November 2007. It's been absolutely flawless.

I have noticed perhaps a 15% reduction in the amount of time it takes for the battery to low-voltage turn itself off but then again that's 10+ garage days with the alarm set. No biggie.

I'll undoubtedly have it sent in for new cells in the next couple of years but certainly not yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts