The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

...VR6 engine swap?..

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ...m... 
#1 ·
...this is a totally academic thought experiment, but excepting the esthi elise and secant ecotec builds, has anyone ever successfully swapped anything other than a honda k20 into an elise/exige chassis?..

...i realise that the power to be gained in building and boosting a 2ZZ-GE typically outweighs the complex economics and handling compromises of most engine swaps, but i'm sitting here looking at my unused beetle and pondering the benefits of 250 naturally-aspirated foot-pounds of lazy torque mated to a silky-smooth gearbox...

#2 ·
I've been thinking about this lately too, but not something as heavy as a VR6 and with more power. It's funny the correlation between Elise's and Mr2's. Eventually Camry V6's found there way into some (not unlike the Evora!) and then were supercharged (Evora S). I know some people on here have done that to there previous Mr2s. I would love to put a small displacement 6 or even 8 but it would have to be similiar in weight and size with a high enough output to make it worthwile over a turbo- not going to happen cheap.
You would need to be starting over 300 hp to justify over a turbo setup.

#7 ·
I've been thinking about this lately too, but not something as heavy as a VR6 and with more power.

It's funny the correlation between Elise's and Mr2's. Eventually Camry V6's found there way into some (not unlike the Evora!) and then were supercharged (Evora S). I would love to put a small displacement 6 or even 8 but it would have to be similiar in weight and size with a high enough output to make it worthwile over a turbo- not going to happen cheap.
...do you really think the VR6 drivetrain is significantly heavier than a camry?..i haven't run through the numbers, but i thought the whole point of its staggered layout was to develop a V6 compact enough to use in transversely-mounted front-wheel-drive applications, just a single head and set of camshafts driving both cylinder banks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.