The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,132 Posts
I would not want VW to have anything to do with Lotus. They will infect the purity of the brand. Just imagine a 4WD Lotus... NO THANKS

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They have taken over Porsche,Audi,Bently,Ducati,Buggati,Lamborghini and so far all of them are doing much better than they did before. That's success to me, much better than some ****ty Malaysian company drive them to ****.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yeah, we don't want this!

Audi is sucking wind right now.

Porsche is not putting out any exciting cars or new models.

Bentley has no panache as a brand.

Bugatti hasn't built a relevant car since 1937.

Oh wait....

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Exactly! I can't imagine the horrors they could do to Lotus.:confused:

Oh, I forgot about Lamborghini!

As a brand VW is on fire, but do they 'compete'? Most obvious would be the Cayman/Boxster/Boxster Spyder.

·
Registered
498 Posts
:popcorn:SwingLo you say Bugatti hasn't built a relevant car since 1937:shrug: :thwack:
You said Audi is sucking wind right now. Are you kiding me!!!! They are at the top of their game with cars flying off the show room floors. I hope you’re not one of those that would prefer to see Lotus go under instead of evolving under a new owner like VW.

IMO I think VW would be a great fit for a struggling company like Lotus.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
IF VW does end up buying Lotus and intervening with the production of new cars, make no mistake, the current crop of Eliges will be NOTHING like the new line. Gone will be the tiny, lithe, agile, weightless wonder, to be replaced by a BRZ-like coupe with the ubiquitous 2.0T styled a bit more aggressively.

This is the end of an era, ladies. Buy up what you can now and store it, there will never be another attainable machine like this in the future.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If VW does buy lotus, i don't think they will change much. Lotus does have a great engineering group, and that could be a reason they want lotus.
Did Bugatti change much when they were bought by VW?

·
Registered
561 Posts
First, people need to turn up their sarcasm meters.

Second, my gut when I read it was "please lord let this happen".

Each brand taken over has shifted BACK to it's core competency or the panache has been enhanced.

If VW was to operate the Lotus brand I can just imagine how the build quality will dramatically improve as would the true intention of Chapman be reignited.

Lotus totally fits within their spectrum, without duplication.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
this, like ducati and bugatti...if it goes through..will never be a "money making" operation..it will just be another "jewel in the crown" of Dr. Piech..not necessarily a bad thing, but it will allow for some engineering expertise to enter VAG, will allow Lotus to have a much bigger coffer to dig from but bring some prestige to VW. There are some interesting articles out there about Piech's business strategy...

·
Registered
796 Posts
AWD Elise/Exige. I like that idea!

UGR Lamborghini is top of the game right now. I don't think ANYTHING can keep up with it.

IMO, it is because of the AWD and engine space.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
:popcorn:SwingLo you say Bugatti hasn't built a relevant car since 1937:shrug: :thwack:
You said Audi is sucking wind right now. Are you kiding me!!!! They are at the top of their game with cars flying off the show room floors. I hope you’re not one of those that would prefer to see Lotus go under instead of evolving under a new owner like VW.

IMO I think VW would be a great fit for a struggling company like Lotus.
Ummm, I was being sarcastic! :huh:

Bugatti - the fastest production hyper car ever.

Porsche - putting out tons of new models - one more popular than the other (Panamera/Cayman)

Audi - on hot fire. Everything they are doing right now is perfect.

So, there ya go.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
First, people need to turn up their sarcasm meters.

Second, my gut when I read it was "please lord let this happen".

Each brand taken over has shifted BACK to it's core competency or the panache has been enhanced.

If VW was to operate the Lotus brand I can just imagine how the build quality will dramatically improve as would the true intention of Chapman be reignited.

Lotus totally fits within their spectrum, without duplication.
Well, I for one thing VW had done great things with these brands, but....

It can be argued about 'BACK to its core competency'

Case in point - Porsche - no one would ever say an SUV and a 4 door sedan were Porsche's 'core competency'

Bentley - they made 'Rolls-like' cars for well heeled business men. Now they make flashy cars for rappers and ballers. Still top luxury, but a different mojo.

Bugatti - well, they just weren't on the map enough to even say. Yes, their cars were always insanely expensive, but as far as I can tell, Bugatti has made two cars (Veyron and EB) since WWII.

Lambo - yep, the same.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Sooooo....

VW would support a Lotus business plan that involves an Esprit that would compete with the Lambo, Audi R8/10, or higher end Porsche?

VW would support continuing an Evora type car to compete with the Cayman or lower end 911's?

An Elise/Exige type car to compete with the Boxster/Cayman?

And VW has long talked about building a light mid engined care with the VW badge. Maybe that is how Lotus will survive as a car brand, they will go to production with the mid engined sports car already on the drawing board, brand it as a Lotus, the one and only Lotus. Lotus would become the Scion of VW.

A cynic would say VW would take Lotus to knock out one competitor, albeit a small one, and to gain its only real asset in business: the engineering business.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Now for a scarey take on this.

VW is looking into the deal, not to get Lotus, or even Lotus Engineering, but to get into the Asian markets by leveraging the Protron side if the deal. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...pe=companyNews

If the deal goes through, and I hope it does if it means Lotus thrives, it is possible that VW asks Porsche and/or Lambo if they want an expensive trinket. If the answer is no, then with a stroke of a pen, Lotus is gone.

Now the way I would LOVE for it to work is that VW buys the Proton package. VW gets entry into Asia, Lotus & Porsche develop a great working partnership, (like they have flirted with for 40 years now), and the Marketing Path is:

at age 16 Mom and Dad buy you a VW Rabbit.
at 24 you buy a Jetta/Passat to carry JR around.
at 35 you buy a Lotus
at 45 you trade Lotus for Porsche
at 55 you trade Porsche for Lambo
at 65 you trade Lambo for Bentley

Customer for Life.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts