The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Now Vauxhall hopes to swing the balance by launching the VX220 Turbo. By adapting the two-litre 16v dohc turbo engine from the Astra GSi, some impressive figures have been achieved: 930kg kerb weight (less than seven per cent up), 200bhp at 5,500rpm (35 per cent up) and 184lb ft from 1,950 to 5,500rpm. This translates into 0-60mph in 4.7secs, 0-100mph in 12.6, a standing quarter mile time of 13.5secs and a top speed of 151mph. The low weight and a flat torque curve do much for the new VX's in-gear times too: 4.0secs from 30-50mph in fourth gear, 5.3secs from 50-70mph in fifth. In terms of power and straight-line speed, no standard Elise can hold a candle to the VX Turbo. "

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Supposedly, Lotus has some agreement with GM to keep the Elise underpowered from the Vauxhall...otherwise the elise would impinge on the VX220 market.

But I do have to agree...the VX IS ugly. To me, there is not competition at all.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
VX/Speedster reminds me of the Toyota "Boxster"

I prefer the smooth, sexy, aggresive lines on the elise anyday. It stands out amongst the typical square automobiles.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
VX=ugly.

Also... note that the VX in this comparo weighs 2046 lbs... give or take a few, I'm sure. With 200 hp on tap, they got 4.7 sec 0-60. That's approximately the same power/weight ratio we'll have in our cars, with 190hp and a 1975 lb weight. My take is that unless R&T is off on some of the numbers, our car is going to be about the same speed as this VX.

Not bad!

Cade

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If there were some things I could change on the Elise in the "looks" department it would be the black surrounds on the lights and the black grilles. If Lotus had made the light surrounds silver it would blend in with the lights themselves ala current Porsche models. I think the grilles would look great colour coded with the rest of the body work. But I guess everyone has a different opinion. I might work on correcting the above some time after the car arrives and I stop long enough from driving it :D maybe after 5 years or so and I can buy a second and ...

Is it April yet! Damn this year is dragging..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts