The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm a photographer that works for car magazines here in Australia.

I'm looking at purchasing a new Elise S as a daily driver, and a used station wagon for lugging my camera gear around on photoshoots.

I know the Elise S is hardly usable as the work vehicle - but I need to know whether it's boot would fit my main camera pelican case.

The dimensions are as follows:

Pelican | 1510 Carry On Case with Foam Set | PC1510FOD | B&H

22 x 13.81 x 9.0" (55.88 x 35.07 x 22.86cm) (LxWxD)

Would this fit in the boot of the Elise S? I'd imagine it'd be a very, very tight fit - if it would even fit at all.

It's a very long story, and as stupid as this sounds - but to make it short - the fate of my Elise ownership essentially hangs in the balance of this answer.

Oh and here's a car pic so as to minimize the boredom of this thread.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Getting a case through the opening is the real question. From the looks of it I think it just may fit….but you need to go and give it a try.

Good luck.

Nice photos, got more?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting a case through the opening is the real question. From the looks of it I think it just may fit….but you need to go and give it a try.

Good luck.

Nice photos, got more?
I was hoping someone here with an Elise S (or any Elise I suppose would be the same?) could measure the boot's mouth and depth for me :(

Moar pics? Sure :D hold on

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I use a (smaller) pelican case for my laptop that fits in the trunk just fine. There is a thread on here that has the dimensions of the opening for the Elise and Exige's trunk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a (smaller) pelican case for my laptop that fits in the trunk just fine. There is a thread on here that has the dimensions of the opening for the Elise and Exige's trunk.
I did try to use search - but I didn't find those specs :( i'm really sorry :(

could you link me to that thread?

*adds more photos to try and compensate for his lack of search abilities*

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
those look great, good shooting
Well if I do end up getting an Elise you guys will get flooded with new photos - i'll be shooting it a lot :D

I just found another trunk photo on the forums (I searched for trunk this time, instead of boot) and it looks like it would have to enter the gap on it's side and then (hopefully) slide into the trunk.

I guess then it's not as easy as measuring the lid's dimensions - but rather - maybe i should do a recreation of the elise's trunk and see if the boot can slide into there.

Sorry guys - but the nearest Lotus Dealership is about 2 hours away from where I live.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I think it would be very tight. Getting a case of that size in would be hard; getting it out might be even harder. The opening curves so the dimension isn't consistent all around-it's about 27 1/2" at its widest point side to side and 14 1/2" wide at its widest point from front to back. The depth varies from 9 1/2" to 10 1/2".

Tom

These are Elsie dimensions, I should note.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Post your exact location (or something you can get to quickly) and see if a Lotus owner can meet you. I'm sure that anyone here would be more than willing to let you see if your case fits in their trunk.

(I can hear just a few of you snickering at that... Don't.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Newcastle, NSW Australia.

For a lot of photoshoots I only need to bring some basic equipment. Hopefully enough to fit into an Elise.

The reason is because - well - tax :D i'm going to make it my "work vehicle" my accountant says that I have to be able to prove it's usable for work by putting in my pelican cases. i.e more than I could carry if I had to use the bus.

This is all of my gear packed neatly into their places. Of course I don't need all of that gear on every shoot - but the essentials are:

ONE medium sized case (there's two of them in the pic) which i've just given the dimensions for in this thread.

The tripod (the shortest long bag you can see in the pic)

And those two soft bags.

I think that should be sufficient

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
The soft cases and tripod might fit behind the seats..Not too sure though,Best of luck though, And dont forget the trunks are prone to leaks so i wouldnt leave it in there
Not relevant if the gear is in a Pelican case :)
I'm in Newcastle, NSW Australia.
Welcome to LotusTalk :wave:

There are quite a few Elise owners in Sydney - you can easily contact them via the aussie site Aussie Elises :)

As far as whether or not that case will fit I can put a carry-on bag in my boot with relative ease - are those medium sized bags small enough for carry-on?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's two ideas:

1) Forgo the Pelican cases, and get the Sector 111 boot organizer. Put the gear in soft cases inside the boot organizer.

2) Fill the boot with case foam. Cut out slots for your gear. Upgrade the boot's weather proofing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
what body do you shoot with?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts