The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of some guidance... or maybe clarification.. My order is with Smith Lotus/Volvo in San Luis Obispo CA. I'm 70 on the waiting list and my Elise is expected to arrive November of 2005(approx 1 year). I've been seeing more and more Elise for sale at MSRP (+tax etc..) prices from $44K to $54K. I just emailed the ebay auction for one costing $46K. My question is... if I have the money now, should I still wait till Nov. for my Elise due to upgrades or buy one now? The price is almost the same on some of them. Advice..

Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
Esprit said:
My question is... if I have the money now, should I still wait till Nov. for my Elise due to upgrades or buy one now? The price is almost the same on some of them. Advice..

Thanks
If you asked the same question about IBM PC's you'd still be waiting to purchase your first computer because there are always upgrades over the horizon. The Fall 2005 car will probably have a bug or 2 or 5 worked out, but I'd rather be driving for an extra year. Why wait ?

Steve

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I would suggest buying as soon as you can find one that matches what you want in terms of features, options, and colors... and at the price you are willing to pay.

Next year's car should only have certain cosmetic options like maybe an embroidered seat for some cost, or a different color paint option.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
My guess is the won't me too much of a change between the 2005 and 2006 Elises. I think the 2007 model will be the change due to the bumper waiver's expiration -unless they can renew it.

It may be worth it to pay SLIGHTLY over MSRP sometime soon instead of waiting until November 2005. I think fear of changes would be a greater issue next November than now.

I know a Magnetic Blue w/ touring and an Amburgine that are available a Scottsdale, Arizona Lotus in about a month. They are charging over MSRP, but I think they could be talked down some.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you can find a good deal now, I'd go for it. Esp being in CA where you have good weather all year. :) If I wasn't expecting my car within a month or 2, I'd be fighting you over them.

I can't see any big changes from the factory that would really be worth waiting for. Just the base car is amazing anyway. I've driven one around the track at the factory, and it will scare the heck out of you with what its capable of. Find a car you like and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Besides, the U.S. Dollar continues to
lose value against the British and Euro
currencies, spiking the belief that prices
are going to be hiked again in the not
too distant future.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I recommend that you buy now. The qualifications are as follows:
1) find a car that you want to cinlude color and options
2) Get the price that you want

It appears that production may have increased since there appears to be more new cars available. I have had calls from three dealers offering cars at MSRP.

·
Registered
407 Posts
buy now and avoid another price hike. And enjoy the car for that extra one year. The hardest thing may be finding a colour you like that is available for sale now.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What seems to be a fair price to pay above MSRP?
10K seems to be the trend and to be honest, it's really quite a lot of money.
I'm sure there are ways to haggle that down... but how much is too much, though?
What would be a reasonable counter offer?

·
Registered
538 Posts
SouL said:
What seems to be a fair price to pay above MSRP?
10K seems to be the trend and to be honest, it's really quite a lot of money.
I'm sure there are ways to haggle that down... but how much is too much, though?
What would be a reasonable counter offer?
Unless you're on the west coast, $10K over is very high. Dealers on the east coast have been selling cars at $5K over. (One dealer just sold 3 at $5K over MSRP.) I have a SY/Touring Elise for sale at $49,900, and am open to reasonable offers. (I need to recoup sales tax and dealer fees, etc. whereas that is not an issue when working with dealers). As far as a counter offer, you never really know until you make the offer, but you can get a pretty good idea by looking at what the cars are going for. And it all really comes down to whether or not you're willing to pay the price to get the car now. I know Criswell even had stopped taking deposits since it was unlikely that anyone getting on the list right now would get a car with the current specs.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
to me it is a "no brainer." get the car asap at the price you're willing to pay. as some have stated, you can find cars at msrp. just make a few phone calls and be prepared to either drive the car back or have it shipped.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'll go counter to the trend, here (as per my usual)

Wait for the car.

If you are buying in cash, put it in the market for a year. If you are financing, use the year to save and decrease your $'s financed

Everyone is talking about price hikes, but I feel that if Lotus raises the price significantly, the market for the car will be too small. The current MSRP was chosen for a reason. Lotus raises the price at their own peril. I feel the car is marginally overpriced as is, but will buy it 'cause I am able and want it. I think that most people who are buying this car see it as a toy. And there are a lot of other toys out there.

Finally, given that cars are available 'off the list' at near MSRP now -- when demand is supposedly 'high' and lists are long -- one has to think that cars will soon be available below MSRP. If you think about it, there is only one explanation for this: The lists are artificially long -- due to the presence of multiple deposits from those of us who are a bit greedy (sorry, but that's how I see it), and due to dealer inflated lists

Consider that on this (enthusiast) forum, we are getting very skewed opinions RE the car, vis a vis the typical potential buyer.
It is a great car, but for a small audience. Don't get caught up in an artificial frenzy -- you will probably get the car sooner than you think. I was told three months ago that it would be 'at least 18-24 months' until my car arrives. Now it is expected in three.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts