The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

How much did you all compromise when buying your used Evora? Did you wait a long time to find the right/perfect car, or did you buy something that wouldn't have been your first choice, but you were pretty sure you could learn to love?

There's so many variables to look at: MY, Model, Transmission, Ext Color, Int Color, Options, Location, Condition, etc, and obviously not a lot were brought over in general. Is there "enough" turnover where you can afford to be a little pickier in trying to find something you'd truly want or should you expect to compromise on 1-2 things?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
This will definitely be different for every individual, but I had a list of mandatory requirements, and some that were nice-to-haves. If you're too inflexible in your requirements, you'll either be waiting forever to find the "right" one, or it'll never happen. So time/experience-lost without having one is something to also consider.

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
130 Posts
Went through this very same thought process. Sometimes I found what I really wanted and it had something else I didn't want to pay for. I considered buying something not quite right for cheaper and making it the way I wanted. In the end I found the near-perfect car and was glad I had waited.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I bought my S, I originally went looking for a 400. The 20k difference in price kept me away from the 400.

As far as S1 cars go, there aren't a lot out there. I refused to buy an auto, but I'd take any color or option just because it's a hard car to find. For something more common, like my wife's Volvo, we held out for the right color and package.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I purchased my Elise from LT, I compromised on color and other things because the seller was clearly a stand-up guy. Several years later, I text him some random questions, is this an aftermarket O2 sensor or OEM and they reply in minutes.

I recently purchased a Mazda Speed3 and again had a good feeling about the seller. 1 week after I purchased it, he still did not deposit the check (The title was already signed over to me), he wanted to be sure I liked it, that would seem to be very rare, but is a true story. A few weeks later the CEL came on, he came over within 3 hours and helped fixed it.

The value of a good private seller is worth considering in your criteria as a top concern in my opinion. I always find it odd people pay more to purchase a used car from a dealer, where by design they don't know anything about the car other than it passed their 100 point check and charge more vs buying from a seller who knows everything about the car and charges less.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Red 2018 Evora 400
30 Posts
My biggest compromise was on price, ended up spending more than I initially set out to but for the right reason. Glad I did. It’s hard to find a good one that matches your list, so you have to be quick when it comes around.

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
73 Posts
This has to be the most common dilemma in buying a hard-to-find car. For with both my RS4 and - extremely recently - my Elise (Yay!), I avoided the temptation to buy quickly and waited awhile while I learned about the marketplace. Of course, I tried to find historical data to accelerate that learning process. This helped me gain enough of an understanding of what was likely to be available that was acceptable to me, and how much it would probably cost, that I'd be able to recognize "the right car" (or close enough to it) when I saw it. In both cases, this meant that when the car did show up, I didn't spend any time considering whether or not it was, in fact, right. I just jumped on it. That said, I was not laser focused on a specific configuration, though I had a handful that were completely out of the question for me - like I don't do silver or white cars.

All of this to say - I believe that if you understand the range of options, what they're worth in the market, your boundaries, and the likelihood of seeing a car within them, you'll "know" when you see the car that makes sense. There's also luck involved, of course. But sometimes luck in a collectors' market is actually just a matter of knowing that what you're looking at is what you want, so that you can move without thinking. Naturally, there's also a level of risk you have to be willing to accept - but there are usually things you can do to reduce that.

My biggest compromise was on price, ended up spending more than I initially set out to but for the right reason.
Same for me. With both the RS4 and the Elise I went into the process with a particular expectation, and ended up spending more - mostly because my expectations weren't realistic given what I wanted in a car. But it took me some time to learn that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I searched a long time but I'm patient. I wanted a 12-14 S, premium interior package and I had a whole list of colors I didn't want, unfortunately they were the more common colors. Condition and maintenance history was also a big factor too. Having patience whether you're the buyer or seller is always an advantage, but it's not always easy. I didn't want any regrets and felt it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
73 Posts
Yeah - I think patience was the most important thing to me, too, once I actually knew enough to figure out what I wanted. It was hard not to buy the first thing that was on the edge of my “requirements”.

And @M.U.L.E. - ‘91 300ZX Twin Turbo? That. Is. Awesome. My high school dream car. And I still think it looks great, even by modern standards.

·
Registered
141 Posts
And @M.U.L.E. - ‘91 300ZX Twin Turbo? That. Is. Awesome. My high school dream car. And I still think it looks great, even by modern standards.
Trying not to thread jack, but thanks! I've had it for 18 years now, plan to get it repainted this year and new suspension is on its way. I think it has aged really well, I put on the '99 spec front bumper and tail lights which I think helped it to age even more gracefully.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My advice echoes what another poster said here. Likely you will have a list of non-negotiables. That list should be somewhat reasonable. If all you have is a list of non negotiable items you could be waiting a very long time.

Recently I bought an Evora GT new. I was pretty set on getting a particular color - but in the end I kept that flexible and I’m glad I did. (although I won’t buy black cars because I’m not a great paint maintainer) I’m also glad I was firm on the transmission choice.

But in the past when looking at 2014-2016 911 GT3s I was way too picky. I had test driven a car in excellent shape from a trusted dealer that had a certified pre owned warranty. I still regret letting that go. I also had driven a 2018 gt3 that a doctor was going to sell me for 10k under msrp with low miles. Ultimately I walked on that one because the car had a mechanical issue (that was easily explained) now those cars are trading 30k above msrp.

I suppose silver lining is that in that process I found the evora which is every bit as exiting and better (imho) by many measures.

·
Registered
2009 Elise SC
73 Posts
I think it has aged really well, I put on the '99 spec front bumper and tail lights which I think helped it to age even more gracefully.
Oooooo - very nice! Agreed on the thread-jacking - that wasn't my intention, but I couldn't resist commenting. We'll leave the conversation there.

I had test driven a car in excellent shape from a trusted dealer that had a certified pre owned warranty. I still regret letting that go.
I had the chance to buy a low-mileage Sprint Blue RS4 with the Titanium package a couple of years ago. That was early on in my infatuation with RS4's, and well before I realized how rare that particular variant was. At the time it was more than I wanted to pay, but I ended up paying about the same for a higher mileage black one a year later. Though I regret missing out on the blue one, the one I got is still an excellent RS4 and I'm very fond of black cars (I'm pretty good about paint, and I don't mind washing them often so they stay shiny). So in the end, it worked out well.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
If the time comes, I will have an easy time getting it the way I want it...with IPS!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts