The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is my (almost) daily driver and about once a month I do a track event. I have the Larini which although not as loud as some aftermarlet units is still Much louder than stock. I've heard of systems on other cars that have a gate that can be switched manually to direct exhast either thru a straight pipe for the track or thru the muffler for the street. I even saw a unit on ruggedbert's car that had a vacuum activated valve that switched flow from muffler to straight pipe at a certain rpm (although it wasn't functioning when I saw it and he said it's no longer avail. Came from Japan).
Does/can anyone make something like this so I can have the best of both worlds.?
BTW, what is the quietest muffler? Stock?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,457 Posts
The Japanese exhaust you mention is the MS system for Japan. It is way louder than what you have now and basically unobtainable. MS makes some of the most beautiful systems I have ever seen. The Larini 8" that you have is the quietest I've heard.

Yes, the stock exhaust is the quietest - and heaviest you will find.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You will need these 2 items and then you'll have to have them welded in to your exhaust someplace after the cat and before the muffler...
With this set up it's as easy as flipping a switch to go to open exhaust. You will also need a piece of pipe so that you can exit the exhaust flow out the rear of the car and a flange for that pipe. You may be able to cut a 2 1/2" hole out of the metal cover that comes with the cutout and use that for this purpose.

The biggest problem will be the lack of space, however if you cut out the area right after the 180' bend where the muffler slips on and weld it there with the dump facing towards the engine so it can't bee seen. Then run the pipe off of the cut out around behind the muffler and then merge it in in to the muffler outlet pipe somewhere in the bend behind the tip it would be fairly hard to see and you'll still only have one tip.

Cutout 2 1/2"

Electric Exhaust Cutout

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is what I had in mind, thanks. Although I wouldn't mind having a manualy activated gate as I wouldn't need to ever switch it on the fly from inside. Less weight than the electrically activated one as well : ). My thought was to bypass the muffler, then cut back into the existing post muffler exit pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.