The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know of someone selling an exige or s. I found many Elise's tht I can afford, but I really want an exige body. I would take one with up to 90,000 miles. have just under $30k do you think it is possible. I live in California

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Hey does anyone know of someone selling an exige or s. I found many Elise's tht I can afford, but I really want an exige body. I would take one with up to 90,000 miles. have just under $30k do you think it is possible. I live in California
Possible? Sure. Likely or probable? No.

With about 1000 Exige total in the U.S., there are not that many to begin with. A decent one with low to moderate miles, even the N/A 06's, are still north of $30K by a fairly wide margin (here is where a lone fellow claiming to have bought one for $25K chimes in).

You can probably count the number of Exige in the U.S...N/A or S, that have the kind of high mileage or general well-worn condition needed to push the cost down below $30K on the fingers of one hand.

Then, finding one, better hope it's not cross country...you'll have to throw a couple grand into getting it transported. Seller likely won't eat that.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I think it's extremely unlikely that you're going to find an Exige at or under $30k, especially not an Exige S. The '07 S cars are going for low 40's at least (maybe I've seen one at mid/upper 30s) but there is virtually no way you'll find one that cheap. If you did find one at that price there would certainly be a story behind it.

Seems you should either go for an Elise or just wait a bit and save up the additional cash for the Exige. Something tells me this will be your first Lotus, yes? What's your daily driver going to be? Why an Elige, street car or track toy? My gut also says you're rather young (don't mean that to sound offensive), have you looked at insurance rates?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's extremely unlikely that you're going to find an Exige at or under $30k, especially not an Exige S. The '07 S cars are going for low 40's at least (maybe I've seen one at mid/upper 30s) but there is virtually no way you'll find one that cheap. If you did find one at that price there would certainly be a story behind it.

Seems you should either go for an Elise or just wait a bit and save up the additional cash for the Exige. Something tells me this will be your first Lotus, yes? What's your daily driver going to be? Why an Elige, street car or track toy? My gut also says you're rather young (don't mean that to sound offensive), have you looked at insurance rates?
I'm first lotus buyer and I'm young you are right. I just want a weekend exige
I found these but since I don't know about these cars I haven't bought them.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2007-exige-s-black-black-29-900-fl-165881/
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2006-aubergine-purple-lotus-exige-162681/

·
3,201 Posts
Ever hear the term you get what you pay for? Both these cars are examples of that.

The first, black, one from WireWheel I would consider as they have a solid reputation and sell some sweet cars. The trouble is that's a salvage title car so you won't be able to finance it (and something tells me you're looking to finance). The second car I don't know anything about other than it's a "storied" car - it's been around a while, it's been discussed a lot and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

You also have to realize that these aren't "cars" in the traditional sense of the word. It seems you're at least looking for a weekend car implying you have another car as your daily. That's good as these are really hard to live with, especially if it were your only car.

My strong advice to you is spend the next month reading everything you can here. Learn all you can about the cars, go ride in one and more importantly go drive one (have you driven one yet). There are 2 types of Lotus owners, those that buy them because they are a "cheap exotic" and those of us that buy them for what they are - tiny, hand built lightweight sportscars. Those in the first camp usually own their car about a year or so before the realities of ownership set in. Fortunately there is one good thing - prices are near the bottom so you could own one for a year and sell it for exactly what you bought it for (assuming you don't mod or bend it).

Oh, one last thing on those 2 cars you list - they are also going to be much harder to resell once you are done with it. Those would be far better suited to someone who is going to buy the car and pretty much know they'll own it for the rest of their lives. I've known since the day I bought my car that I'd never sell it so I'm willing to do any mod to it and I never ever think about the next guy that'll own it - you'll most likely want to think about this.

Good luck - don't mean to sound like I'm poo-poo'ing your idea too much, just trying to save you some potential pain down the road...

-Ross

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ever hear the term you get what you pay for? Both these cars are examples of that.

The first, black, one from WireWheel I would consider as they have a solid reputation and sell some sweet cars. The trouble is that's a salvage title car so you won't be able to finance it (and something tells me you're looking to finance). The second car I don't know anything about other than it's a "storied" car - it's been around a while, it's been discussed a lot and I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

You also have to realize that these aren't "cars" in the traditional sense of the word. It seems you're at least looking for a weekend car implying you have another car as your daily. That's good as these are really hard to live with, especially if it were your only car.

My strong advice to you is spend the next month reading everything you can here. Learn all you can about the cars, go ride in one and more importantly go drive one (have you driven one yet). There are 2 types of Lotus owners, those that buy them because they are a "cheap exotic" and those of us that buy them for what they are - tiny, hand built lightweight sportscars. Those in the first camp usually own their car about a year or so before the realities of ownership set in. Fortunately there is one good thing - prices are near the bottom so you could own one for a year and sell it for exactly what you bought it for (assuming you don't mod or bend it).

Oh, one last thing on those 2 cars you list - they are also going to be much harder to resell once you are done with it. Those would be far better suited to someone who is going to buy the car and pretty much know they'll own it for the rest of their lives. I've known since the day I bought my car that I'd never sell it so I'm willing to do any mod to it and I never ever think about the next guy that'll own it - you'll most likely want to think about this.

Good luck - don't mean to sound like I'm poo-poo'ing your idea too much, just trying to save you some potential pain down the road...

-Ross

First of all, thank you for such a long and detailed response.

Yes i strongly believe that quote "you get what you pay for". I was just hoping to get a good deal because it is winter. I was looking at the colder state's craigslist that would not enjoy a car with the top down as much as i would in california.

For the wire wheel one my friend who owns a dealer can buy it and ill give him monthly payments, but i don't know if a rebuilt title and 82,000 miles is good for 29,900$.

What does it mean for the purple car to be a storied car. It looks good with a clean title and only 60,000 miles. it has some damage but the title is clean so I'm fine with fixing the little things.

I have a prius for daily driver, so i don't need to worry about being hard to live with.

I want the car for the canyons and to have a exotic car for cheap. I am down to sell it in the summer in nice cities of california where people would want a lotus to have the top down by the beach [(make a couple grand profit) if thats possible].

I know the black one will be hard to sell, because of the rebuilt salvage title, but the purple one has a clean title, and it is an exige so its more rare right?

Thanks
-Daniel

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
For the wire wheel one my friend who owns a dealer can buy it and ill give him monthly payments, but i don't know if a rebuilt title and 82,000 miles is good for 29,900$.
Its a great price... particularly if you plan to keep the car for a long time. I suspect it will be difficult to resell due to those two issues (which realistically have no impact on driver enjoyment). :)

What does it mean for the purple car to be a storied car. It looks good with a clean title and only 60,000 miles. it has some damage but the title is clean so I'm fine with fixing the little things.
The car has been for sale for a long time - was a bit run down with cosmetic damage but has been restored. So it hasn't led a pampered life.

None of that is particularly bad though and all correctable :)

I want the car for the canyons and to have a exotic car for cheap. I am down to sell it in the summer in nice cities of california where people would want a lotus to have the top down by the beach [(make a couple grand profit) if thats possible].
Only buy it if you can afford to keep it. You will become addicted :D

...I know the black one will be hard to sell, because of the rebuilt salvage title, but the purple one has a clean title, and it is an exige so its more rare right?
Both those are Exiges, the purple one is rarer due to colour and it being an 06 (only 350 of them from memory).
Neither of those cars will resell quickly - the black because of the rebuilt title and the purple one because its purple (a very marmite colour... you either love it or hate it)

All the best with your decision making :)

·
3,201 Posts
First damn you Adeo to beating me to the punch. All great replies and your'e dead on. A few additional thoughts:

First of all, thank you for such a long and detailed response.
You're welcome, as you can see I can talk or write about these cars all day long. I also hate it when people buy the "wrong car" and try to save them if I can. It's tough though, once you're in love you're in love.

I have a prius for daily driver, so i don't need to worry about being hard to live with.
Perfect (well save for it's a Prius :))

I want the car for ... exotic car for cheap. I am down to sell it in the summer in nice cities of california where people would want a lotus to have the top down by the beach [(make a couple grand profit) if thats possible].
I'll admit I think this is one of the biggest mistakes people make when buying these cars. I wouldn't call a Lotus cheap but I understand what you mean in terms of looks. a $30k Accord isn't going to turn heads is it?

I think the trouble with these 2 specific cars is going to be resale. I'll venture to say that you're not going to own the car for more than a year or two. Don't misunderstand, I don't mean any judgement there it's just I think after that much time the novelty will wear off and you'll want something "better" (more comfortable, quieter, faster, etc). As Aedo says if you're going to keep it forever these would be great buys. I bought my Exige 3 years ago for $45k (2006). If I were shopping for it right now I would have bought that black one already. I've pushed a few friends toward it as well as they are shopping for track cars. Cars they would heavily modify (like mine) and essentially plan to keep forever. I know I'll never get out of my car even half of what I've put into it and if I tried to sell it for what I'd want (say $60k) it would take a long time to find that perfect buyer. So I guess I'm saying I'd hate to see you get stuck with the car and/or take a big loss.

So that's not to say you shouldn't keep shopping/thinking of one - you're right that this is the best time of year to buy due to the seasons. So my advice is either set your sights a bit lower (Elise) or your budget a bit higher. Buy a $40k Exige now and two years from now sell it for $39.5k. Or hell $42k. But I think if you buy one of these for $30k you'll have a hard time getting 25-28k for them in 2 years. Just my guess from what I've seen over the last 3 years I've owned mine. I think if my car were still bone stock and was a street car she'd be worth about $42k now. $2k for 3 years of owning an Exige - yeah, that math works (some of my other math doesn't but that does).

BTW have you driven one yet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You guys are getting side tracked.

Here's what i think. I think you should wait a bit longer and dish out a few more thousand to get the right Exige. I don't understand why you would try and get the bottom barrel, especially for 30k.

·
3,201 Posts
Here's what i think. I think you should wait a bit longer and dish out a few more thousand to get the right Exige. I don't understand why you would try and get the bottom barrel, especially for 30k.
This.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Both those are Exiges, the purple one is rarer due to colour and it being an 06 (only 350 of them from memory).
Actually, it being an 06 and one of approximately 350 that year, it's one of the more common Exige, such that any Exige is 'common.' There were about 350 S220's in 07, about 150 S240's in 08, and they tapered off quickly from there. Year over year the Exiges were different enough from those before that each MY could be considered unique.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Wire wheel has a black 07 within your price range, but it's a salvage title car that's been repaired.

Edit: Never mind, you've already found it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Since the Aubergine one for sale is mine I'll chime in here. The car has cosmetic flaws but is mechanically ready to go. I don't believe any of the people knocking it have seen it in person, so I question their opinions. Nevertheless, it is a perfect example of the kind of Exige you will find under $30k. (I actually priced it where I did so someone could put $5k into body work and still be under market value on an 06 Exige). If you really want an Exige in that price range, you will have to accept either less than perfect condition or a rebuilt title. If you are interested or able to work on the car, picking one up similar to mine wouldn't be a problem for you. Or if you can live with imperfections, you can still own the car you want for less money.

I have owned a rebuilt title Exige and had a blast with it. It is actually what made me come back to Lotus after I sold it. However, as others have pointed out, resale can be extremely difficult on a rebuilt vehicle especially at that kind of price range.

I'll go along with what some others have said: you really just won't find a prime example in that range.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The black S at Wire Wheel is now out of the equation. I just wired Hayes the deposit. So it will end up in California after all.

In fact it was this thread that tipped me over the edge, because my plan *is* to own the car for quite some time, probably until my joints are too arthritic to let me clamber in and out of it, and given that premise, it seems that enough of you thought that it really was a great price for the car.

Plus, because of the price, I now won't have to sell my Mitsi VR4 which I can continue to use when I don't want to pull the Lotus out of the garage.

So another ex-pat gets his Brit car and officially joins the Lotus clan. :UK:

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Since the Aubergine one for sale is mine I'll chime in here. The car has cosmetic flaws but is mechanically ready to go. I don't believe any of the people knocking it have seen it in person, so I question their opinions. Nevertheless, it is a perfect example of the kind of Exige you will find under $30k. (I actually priced it where I did so someone could put $5k into body work and still be under market value on an 06 Exige). If you really want an Exige in that price range, you will have to accept either less than perfect condition or a rebuilt title. If you are interested or able to work on the car, picking one up similar to mine wouldn't be a problem for you. Or if you can live with imperfections, you can still own the car you want for less money.

I have owned a rebuilt title Exige and had a blast with it. It is actually what made me come back to Lotus after I sold it. However, as others have pointed out, resale can be extremely difficult on a rebuilt vehicle especially at that kind of price range.

I'll go along with what some others have said: you really just won't find a prime example in that range.
Thanks for the detail!! I looked at an Aubergine Elise but SWMBOd veto'd due to colour :(

The black S at Wire Wheel is now out of the equation. I just wired Hayes the deposit. So it will end up in California after all.

In fact it was this thread that tipped me over the edge, because my plan *is* to own the car for quite some time, probably until my joints are too arthritic to let me clamber in and out of it, and given that premise, it seems that enough of you thought that it really was a great price for the car.

Plus, because of the price, I now won't have to sell my Mitsi VR4 which I can continue to use when I don't want to pull the Lotus out of the garage.

Cheers.
Top effort!!! :D
Congrats!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

Cheers.
Congrats! Make sure you give it a thorough going over since it has fire damage. Particularly look at wiring insulation and make sure there are no possible places where you can get a short. Also, it's just not possible for that roof to flow enough air. It looks like a coffee stirrer compared to a stock roof opening.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes/no

I was told that it was making a sound when launching in first, but that it was fixed. Come to find out wd-40 was sprayed on the defective area "still unsure of". To me wd40 is a sale not a fix. Now the car is screeching in first and in reverse on takeoff. I am having the car checked out monday and i hope that the actual problem will be identified and i can have it fixed rather than masked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts