The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Staring to research a Elise 05-06, looking to buy eventually.

I have a lot to learn and I imagine this thread will change over time. What I do know is that I'm looking to buy an Elise somewhere with in driving range to FL.

Age: 07 or 10. I'd like to have the miles low but negotiable there, depending on the history of owners. I'm sure I will learn more reading the forums here.

Color I'm pretty open here. Though I can certainly rule out red and yellow. Ideal I'd like a dark green or blue. interior it's irrelevant to me as long as its not some neon color ;) I'm also a big fan of metallic paint.

where I dont mind a road trip at all, I will come and get the right car. As long is there is a road that leads me to it.

after market stuff Unless its for performance dont sell me on this I'm quite cretin I will be replacing it. ( i.e: stereos and gps gear ). After market engine mod I'm open too along as its all well documented. I'm almost the the point where I wont even consider a non tour package at this point. Not sure what it costs to add on but I'd prefer it done already. AC is a must I live in FL.

more to come I'm sure...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
We are here to help but I really must say that you know very little about these cars. Not a knock but you do need some remedial education on the cars before you really say you are ready to buy

First, the s2 Elises first came to us in model year 05. Some changes were made to model year 06. You can search for those

Also you can search the exact paint colors by name. For example you may want British racing green or magnetic blue

You can find an 05 with under 30k miles for under 30k. Check the for sale section of this forum

Also keep in mind that people modify these car quite a bit. Bone up on the common mods and find out if you want to find a car with them or if you prefer bone stock

Good luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I relies I know little and thought I made that clear and I apologize if my post was annoying. I just find it rather irritating with so much misleading info on the net. A good example is what you just said. I have search for some of those answers and never received a definitive answer. Yet in posting this post I received some clarification in less then 15 minutes. I dont know why people shun this type of researching?

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I have a BRG '05 I MIGHT be willing to part with for somewhere in the neighborhood of $59,000 if I take off some of the mods and get to keep the "Baby on Board" placard.

Seriously, Swing is right. And it sounds like you have the money to afford low miles but low miles does not necessarily much. So check out some of the existing threads and go slow. Yes, I jumped into mine and have not been sorry in the least. But that is not a good way to buy any car.

Good Luck

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
R4Racin, I'm not new to buying cars by any means. I know perfectly well what you are saying. My mrs has almost 150 k miles on it and it still runs quite well. Though I put those miles on it and I know how they got there. I look at less miles is a sign its been through less. for instance 75k miles one owner is not any where nears is bad as 75k 4 owners. I'll add the word negotiable ;)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ulao, I think people are basically saying ' you say you want one, but really appear to know very little of the basics of these cars'. Kinda like I'm ready to marry her but I haven't gone out with her yet

Have you even driven one? My advice would be to find a local meet up or car show in your area - look at the regional sub forums - and chat up the owners

If I get time later tonite, I'll type up a more detailed response of things to consider

Again, Wikipedia lotus Elise will give you a lot of good info

Oh and please please tell me that English in not your first language! ;)

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm a nice guy. I'll sell you my '05 supercharged for $52,500

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Well duh. The 'abarth girl' is the exception. The abarth girl is a Bugatti atlantique and a mclaren f1 combined

A used Elise is the cute barista at Satrbucks with a law degree !

;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ulao, I think people are basically saying ' you say you want one, but really appear to know very little of the basics of these cars'.
Really, didnt I say that? If your suggesting I should not have made the WTB post I guess I know what you are saying. Though I though it was made clear I'm here to learn about the cars. Most active forum member hate new people asking questions and love more then anything to jump all over them. I get it, I'm guilty at times. In the long run it accomplishes nothing. If you had any real concern you could always PM some one. Button line is I'm here to ask questions that is what a forum is for. I'm not some young punk just shooting my mouth of . If you'r want to get to know me please say focused and by all means feel free to PM. If you just here to give me a hard time and that what you enjoy then so be it. You're an ample part of this board I get it, I just want to say civil.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then he is stalking me. Seriously, he seems to make a diligent effort to answer posts. He pretty much touch on all of mine.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Really, didnt I say that? If your suggesting I should not have made the WTB post I guess I know what you are saying. Though I though it was made clear I'm here to learn about the cars. Most active forum member hate new people asking questions and love more then anything to jump all over them. I get it, I'm guilty at times. In the long run it accomplishes nothing. If you had any real concern you could always PM some one. Button line is I'm here to ask questions that is what a forum is for. I'm not some young punk just shooting my mouth of . If you'r want to get to know me please say focused and by all means feel free to PM. If you just here to give me a hard time and that what you enjoy then so be it. You're an ample part of this board I get it, I just want to say civil.
ulao........follow the link on post 9.........read it for a day or two and THEN ask more questions.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is perfect kestrel74, thx for the link. I meant to mention that before but the thread filled up. I have enough to read now for a bit.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a 2005 Chrome Orange Elise... mint condition. Several tasteful upgrades. Must see! Mine even comes with the limited edition Toyota 2zz engine! Pink slip in hand. Don't delay!

Asking $78,995

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
then he is stalking me. Seriously, he seems to make a diligent effort to answer posts. He pretty much touch on all of mine.

Actually no. If you really need to know, I was sitting in an airport waiting for my flight to take off. Down time in airport plus wifi = play around on internet.

My choice of time killing was LotusTalk. You created a few different posts and they all bubbled up to the top of the 'active topics'

That being said, I'll stand by my position - you say you want this car, yet you seem to know very very little about them. Information that can be gleamed with remedial google searches. We've all bought cars before. The information you are asking for is standard information we all look for when buy cars - what are the specs, what are the best model years, what are the differences in model years, what specific colors am I interested in, etc. Heck, a remedial search on any car site and the for sale forum of this site will show you the available years, typical miles and market values. If you notice, your 'willing to spend $60K on an '02 with 50K miles' got a lot of hits for a reason.

Also, based on what we've seen from the posts, I'm not sure you've even sat in one, let alone driven one. Seems a bit premature to say 'I want one' without having done that. These cars are VERY specific and have VERY specific issues (ingress/egress, lack of bumpers, rattles, driving position, etc) that make them VERY different from the average car. These differences lead to a TON of questions and ultimate determine whether the car is right for a specific driver.

Notice, I even suggested looking at the regional events section of the forum to find get togethers in your area - track days, cars and coffees - heck, even a dealership. That way, you could go meet up with a dozen owners at a time. Chat them up.

So, we are glad to help, but don't get defensive when people start questioning your posts. We were all noobs at one point. We are glad to help. However, it seems as though you are asking all sorts of questions about the exam, but you didn't read the book first.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "Seriously" denotes the previous statement is sarcastic. I would expect someone like to yo know that, especial since the majority of your posts have have been quite sarcastic. If you need another example see post 4 by R4Racin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts