The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought this Elise from my friend...and it also comes with the file-protector (on the side before the rear wheel).
And it's look so yellow on my white paint. Everybody's eye look and my smooth curves and nice paint of my Elise then stuck at this Film.

I want to remove it. Lots of car-detailer said that it can't be remove.
If i remove it i have to re-paint again. the paint will come out with it.

What do you guys think? Have any suggestion for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
starshield? use a heat gun and it should come off.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I've just bought this Elise from my friend...and it also comes with the file-protector (on the side before the rear wheel).
And it's look so yellow on my white paint. Everybody's eye look and my smooth curves and nice paint of my Elise then stuck at this Film.

I want to remove it. Lots of car-detailer said that it can't be remove.
If i remove it i have to re-paint again. the paint will come out with it.

What do you guys think? Have any suggestion for me?

Thanks
Be careful. When I was repainting the car anyway, I removed the star shield on the Side sills, and the factory paint came off with it. As mentioned above, if your car is still in warranty, it's possible that star shield will cover the yellowing. Let a pro do it.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
9 times out of 10, no paint will come off. I've sold replacement PPF to tons of people on the board and can only recall one who had a problem, but was getting paintwork anyway and believe his film was over a repaint. The prep before hand and proper cure time before applying it are the biggest factors in having possible lifting. I have taken it off many a time and have never had paint come off. My friend though who installs a ton for the local Porsche dealer has it come off all the time on him (they do a lot of quick resprays on the front bumpers of used cars to get rid of the chips on cars that didn't have PPF and don't really prep them good)

·
Registered
782 Posts
starshield removal

I've removed Starshield several times with no problems. 3M's website says it can be removed from factory paint but may remove resprays. Use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer and get it very warm but not so hot that you can't keep a finger on it for a few seconds. Start at a corner and raise it with a finger nail then keep warming just in front of the area that is peeling up. Pulling perpendicular to the surface seems to work best. Work slowly. When finished, wash the surface with 3M adhesive remover followed by dilute isopropyl alcohol. Anyone with a little patience can replace the rockers but the nose piece takes some practice. Just finished an s1 nose which is much harder than a Fed Elise and it came out great but I've done it a few times...DAve

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an Aspen White Elise as well and had it replaced under warranty, mine was very yellow. Once they saw it, they took care of it no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mine was also yellow on Aspen White even though Starshield guy swear that it can't happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts