The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey sorry if this is such a noob question. but i had a 350Z that i just traded in for my lotus elise with the intentions of tracking it. I want to start out small like just get used to the car, wear out a few sets of tires, and then work towards bigger things. I am in NC and dont know where to go to do this, if i need some special license or what not, or anything really.

just a noob looking for some answers i guess. any help would be graciously appreciated :confused: :up:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think one of the easiest ways to get on the track is to become affiliated with your local Lotus Ltd. chapter. They should announce their own and sister track days. Sign up, get a helmet, probably a fire extinguisher, do the maintenance required before (the track will have a list of items to check off) and show up.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of driving on the track, go to the Lotus Driving School. They will let you abuse their cars while you learn how to drive on a track. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Also, you are about to get told by about 5 people to use the search function in the upper right portion of your screen.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
go to a few autocrosses first. that way you'll only kill cones instead of guardrails. Don't forget the painters tape ! That way you'll learn the limits safely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, you are about to get told by about 5 people to use the search function in the upper right portion of your screen.
this i know...i have over 3000 posts on my other forum and i love to tell noobs to use the search function. but now that im in there shoes and have no idea where to begin i see why it gets annoying when everyone tells you to search lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think one of the easiest ways to get on the track is to become affiliated with your local Lotus Ltd. chapter. They should announce their own and sister track days. Sign up, get a helmet, probably a fire extinguisher, do the maintenance required before (the track will have a list of items to check off) and show up.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of driving on the track, go to the Lotus Driving School. They will let you abuse their cars while you learn how to drive on a track. Highly recommended.
i think the owner before me tracked it because there is a fire extinguisher already in it.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
DO you have to have an Orange Lotus in your avatar to post to this thread? :D

I found local clubs that run at tracks near me. Signed up for one back in 2002 (with MINI Cooper). Was a good HPDE, where I could learn, and test my skill at a non pressured level.

I'd recommend finding one of these clubs near you and get in on a HPDE. You can run novice class (nothing wrong with that), and learn a lot at your own pace.

Enjoy!
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You should also be concerned about insurance. Most regular auto policies do not cover you on the track. Alot of people here run without insurance - and I have done that too. But I don't think I ever will again.

It's a tough choice, but track insurance and their deductibles are expensive.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
getting use to the car, try a few autox first, thats where i became familiar with my car.. theres one this friday at the meadow lands, the on the 6th. if you go to north east region, under forums then look for nj auto x thread for 2008, that will give a ton of info. about the goings on.

there will be a bunch of us at both friday events!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was in your shoes about this time last year. I had a friend who was an instructor in the BMW CCA. They have 'skid schools' to prepare people for their first day on the track. It had smoking donut exercises on a skid pad (with hoses to reduce the smoking), a mini-autocross, and braking exercises. I sucked at the braking, btw. It was a blast, and very inexpensive.

Then I signed up for my first track day with that club. They had great support for first-timers, were very welcoming to non-Bimmer drivers, and in general were a really nice bunch of people who put together a great event. I've since become addicted and have made it to a bunch of tracks, and gotten to know a whole new crowd of people. See if there are car clubs in your area that arrange track days. There's a continuity there that you might not find if you go to a race school, and you might get better prepared to learn more advanced skills should you choose to do an expensive race school later. I liked the BMW CCA, but there may be better ones in your area. MotorsportReg.com : MotorsportReg.com > Online registration management tools for driving and social events has a lot of events which you could check out. I highly recommend the skid school first (BMWCCA calls it Advanced Driving Skills School).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out Carolina Motorsports park. Talk to Brian Smith. Tell him a friend of a friend of Brian Vinsons told you about their track.

Seriously, I think they have a drivers school.

Check out the local BMW car club, or Porsche club, or Audi club, or Miata club, or Corvette club. Most all of them sponsor track days for fun, not competition, driving. All you should need is a helmet, long sleeve cotton clothes, and an entrance fee.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am in NC and dont know where to go to do this, if i need some special license or what not, or anything really.
Welcome noob. Lucky for you that you live near one of the best tracks in the country, VIRginia International Raceway - The Track

There is an event coming up there on June 14-15 that a bunch of Loti will be attending. Mazda Driving Associates, LLC Mazda Drivers www.MazdaDriverS.com high speed drivers education hpde track events A few spots are still open.

If you are a track novice, the car will be fine totally stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts