Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm too picky?
Must have good service records, recent Lotus trained inspection a major plus

No major track use, race seats or race mods
Recalls - done
Body- free of stuff beyond rock chips and normal wear/tear
Color - not yellow
Title - clean
Modifications- none to engine, bolt-on stuff considered, suspension, brakes, exhaust.
CA car with CA current reg (I'm on central coast, can pickup)

Cash currently burning hole in pockets

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If not messed with, all Elises should be CA legal.

I don't think you have unreasonable expectations

patience

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, don't think I knew that. There's always the WHAT IF it doesn't pass smog. I've walked out of the DMV dejected too many times because something wasn't 100% perfect. Also, I don't mind a few hours drive to get to the next CA town, but it's 5+ just to cross the first state border. Shipping, coordinating inspections from a distance, it's all pretty daunting.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I don't blame you, and there should be plenty of cars in CA. It always comes down to money. If there is a car in Reno bone stock with low miles for 5k less, driving starts to make sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've chased down my share of cars, and maybe it's age...but taking a full day to round trip to Los Angeles on my Kawasaki just isn't as adventurous as it used to be. The hunt is still part of the fun.
I look forward to being a great 'owner #2 or #3' or caretaker if you will.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The only other thing I would add is if it's close to what you want but a bit more... GET IT. the happiness it brings is greater than the money you save..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ya I get it. Rented one back in '06 and enjoyed all of the 100 included miles for sure. So waiting now 14 years for the garage space, savings, and market values to all make it possible. Getting there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in Northern California and went all the way to Minnesota to get my Elise. I had a wonderful time driving it home (the longest day was ~750 miles from Twin Falls ID to home) and would do it again in half a heartbeat. The car was the right color (Laser Blue) in the right condition (excellent) and almost entirely stock. The California registration is no big deal and only slightly more work than transferring a California car. You still need a smog check and a visit to a DMV which is usually a nightmare, but I made an appointment in a rural office and was in and out in about 15 minutes. The bonus to this was that I was able to spend a day driving my new-to-me Lotus to a rural location several hours away! The DMV only needs to verify the smog sticker and the VIN are intact. Don't let distance or non-California registration limit your options - shipping cars is done all the time and a reputable hauler is probably around $1k from the east coast.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If buying in California, Section 24007 (b)(2) of the California Vehicle Code states it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate before or during the sale of a vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's been the issue that I I've heard about. Show up with less than 100% of docs, like no smog certification, off you go to the back of the line. I think you have to visit an inspection station, or make an appointment with the CHP. Maybe one day I'll break down and consider it if there is a major drought of CA vehicles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The DMV has a complete checklist and all the needed forms to register a California-compliant but not previously California-registered vehicle available online. When I bought my Elise out of state, I knew the smog check was something I was responsible for and the seller and I had an understanding if there was an issue. In my case, it was impossible for the seller to have the smog check done out of state. If the car is not modified (in regards to emission equipment), there is an extremely high chance it will comply with California requirements and pass a smog check with flying colors. There is no need to have a CHP inspection for a vehicle that has been registered in another state. If it is new, then a VIN verification by law enforcement is required. (I learned this when I bought a new Aprilia Tuono from out of state.)

I've found if you have all your documents per the checklists, and you make an appointment, the DMV is only slightly nightmarish. It's the unprepared, non-appointment folks who have a much more difficult time and lose half of their souls with a single trip to the DMV.

Granted, an in-state transfer of ownership is something that can probably be done at AAA, and has less risk since the seller is required to provide a smog certificate rather than the buyer rolling the dice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you might be traveling any distance to pickup the car, AAA membership might be good to have in your back pocket. Then you can do the registration at AAA instead of DMV. Getting smogged has 2 components: 1) tail pipe sniffer; 2) visual inspection. The latter is the only thing my car has failed and had to be retested. After market cold air intake & disconnected smog hose. Some testers are very strict; usually because they were busted by DMV. If you fail at one test station, they have made it difficult to go to another to attempt passing at a more lenient tester.

I'm in SLO and there are not that many Elige in this area. 4 that I have seen and 2 Tesla Roadsters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
2005 Ardent Red Lotus Elise with Touring Package for sale in Northern California (San Jose, CA). $25K. Ping me if interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I have a 2005 silver Lotus Elise for sale with 16K miles for $34K. I'm located just north of San Francisco. Please feel free to reach out if interested. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts