The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone out there has a center cap for a Revolution mag?
Are these still obtainable from Lotus?
I'd rather have the wheels without the center cap and just have the center flush with the rest of the wheel but the convex bearing cap protrudes a bit off the face of the wheel.
Mike.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
I know someone who had Krylon spray paint caps on his Revolution wheels for years...

These are the ones
Yeah, I remember that, but the packaging has changed since Bob thought of this!

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi.
Ok. I pulled off the otherside front right cap.
It was only held on with silicone seal.? ! Was held on well though.
I will take off the caps after making a new one and will have them set to the wheels with set screws.
Anyway, I can machine a new cap before I leave my work, but how does one obtain a raised decal for the cap?

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey - I use silicone seal to hold my center caps too :evil:

RE: the raised decal:

You can get them on eBay:

Lotus Wheel Center Cap Emblems Set 4 Aluminum Stickers Decal 3D | eBay

Curious how the caps are supposed to be held on by the factory.
I cannot get the rears off they are on tight!
Too cold yet to take off the wheels to find out.

Sleekgt, have you got the same wheels / caps?
Any problems losing the centers being held with silicone?

Thankyou for the info.
Mike E.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey..Thanks a lot.:)
Mike E.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Curious how the caps are supposed to be held on by the factory.
I cannot get the rears off they are on tight![snip]
Sleekgt, have you got the same wheels / caps?
Any problems losing the centers being held with silicone?
My factory 15" OZ wheels have 6-8 tabs that hold a silver cap on pretty tight. Due to the flush fit, I don't think they can be removed without using a strong suction cup or removing the wheel and pushing from the back.

My recent upgrade to 17" OZ Futura - the rear wheel holes are 60mm; front are 58mm. The caps are Qty 4 58mm - tight fit in front (silicon-glued just in case) and rear is barely tight (more silicon used to hold).

The above is the rear wheel with a sloppy silicone excess - I will trim it later (car has been in the shop 4 weeks due to a bunch of issues).

I've hit hard potholes and the front caps have held well, so the silicone is a non-destructive way to hold them. Not sure I'd start embedding set screws since they may scratch or require drilling ridges/grooves, etc.

FYI I do have 'puffy' OZ Racing stickers to put on the caps, but haven't had the car back yet to install.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
I've hit hard potholes and the front caps have held well.

I bet you didn't hit a pothole like THIS:

:panic:

rotfl

I swear, this one is smaller than most of the ones in NJ. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I emailed the OZ dealer in Indiana with pics and everything and they said that they don't make those wheels anymore. So I made my own and I used black silicone gasket sealer from the auto parts store to hold them in. I purchased 4 dome shaped emblems with adhesive backs on Ebay and ABS 2"-1 1/2" reducers from ACE Hardware in the pluming section. The black ABS had to be ordered while white PVC was in-stock. I used a grinder to knock down the peeks of the 8 sided polygon (I'll confess I had to look that up). Filled down the raised lettering on the outer side and stuck the emblem on. Then I turned to the inside and added some silicone to help hold the emblem on. Last but not least, I put silicone in the wheel and inserted the new center cap. Several hours later I was good to go. The last two that I did took a whole 10 minutes. Total cost for all four was about $28.00.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts