The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my clients is interested in me doing some games for the iphone(boooo) so i checked that it'd run on my g4 powerbook which i bought ages ago to do another project, then left it gathering dust.

I asked if the sdk run on a g4, oh yes came the answer, but it needs Leopard, hmm oh dear, Leopard is bad for G4's it slows them down and costs $140 for the privilege of doing so, so i picked up a copy at the apple store in vegas, which is always fun since none of their fancy credit card terminals ever seem to work, but they have pretty aqua style buttons so its all good.

Anyhoo i get home, start installing Leopard on my little g4, left it for overnite so it'd be ready the next day, next morning installed the 100 Mb of patches leopard needs since its release, then start installing the iphone sdk, but wait whats this, the iphone sdk part is greyed out! i think hmm maybe it needs the base xcode update, so i install the bits it wants too, and try again, nope, ok so go check the specs, 'intel mac needed', b******s i think to myself, so i pop on craigslist looking for an intel mac, find a couple and write a few emails off to see whats up, more on that later.

back to the g4, i know apple, they're sneaky sob's, so i poke around and see why it won't install, and sure enough in the install scripts it says 'am i an intel based mac' and checks for the endian, haha i think, convert that dmg to a read/write uncompressed dmg then edit it to reverse the endian check, and off we'll go, right, nope, now its telling me it needs 2.1G free to install the sdk, even though i've already installed the largest part, sod that , edit the install script to tell it, that it only needs 0 bytes to install, off it goes again with no problems, boot up xcode, no iphone sdk appears, off to evil google and see who's already hacked it, sure enough all i have to do is add an entry for PPC into the spec file, i do that and voila the iphone sdk appears, i write some quick test code, compile and run it in the emulator, so there goes that 'requires an intel mac' nonsense, aren't i glad i didn't just go waste a few grand on a machine thats slower than my other laptops for 3/4 of the price (and i find later it runs on tiger too ).

anyway one guy who's selling a black powerbook gets back to me, he's still got the machine, but there is a problem, he's a student and he's in the uk now at school, oh dear, he's in liverpool, aha i think to myself my parents live nearish liverpool, but even better my brothers a copper that trained in liverpool , he's with the london met now and trying to transfer to her majestys secret whatsname now, but he's up in the liverpool area for some stuff, so i write back and say 'good news' my brothers a copper and he can swing by and check it out for me, pay for it if its on the up up and this guys not a julius ceaser and ship it out to me..

at this point, reality kicks in and i think, hold on, this sounds a bit P--P-P-pppppowerbook to me, so i go back and check the email, first the address he lists, a cafe in liverpool, ok fair enough he could be staying above that place, i used to live above a shop in ossett, check the headers, no less than 3 smtp servers and a tag telling me the name of the program he's used to forge the emails.

For those not familiar with headers and stuff on emails, let me show you.

X-Message-Delivery: Vj0zLjQuMDt1cz0wO2w9MDthPTA=
X-Message-Status: n:0
X-SID-PRA: Karol Whitlow <[email protected]>X-SID-Result: SoftFail
X-Message-Info: R00BdL5giqq9NrmvyE9Jlzjau6WgK+AxeKp91eFn5VZIrhaEZgoP0bU8I7/WxvZe6IUeskXnesgftPB2A0XudwDOpjwk06Mo
Received: from smtp103.biz.mail.re2.yahoo.com ([68.142.229.217]) by bay0-mc2-f23.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2668);
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:09:37 -0700
Received: (qmail 87255 invoked from network); 13 Aug 2008 05:09:37 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO ACA2486F.ipt.aol.com) ([email protected]@172.162.72.111 with login)
by smtp103.biz.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; 13 Aug 2008 05:09:37 -0000
X-YMail-OSG: LLvOLrAVM1nBrap8rYsaintf7VKB1OJNruHIQaH6BIugMI2i5GuKuSnGE42Of2838Lvns6VIWiPRrfbGaeiSF07nJTQtT9BojgH16m9mqA--
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
Return-Path: [email protected]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Reply-To: [email protected]
X-Mailer: SendBlaster.1.5.5

I bolded the parts that are interesting, first its a hotmail address, so why does it have yahoo and aol in the records, Its a SoftFail, though i personally think its verging on Epic, and its listed as SendBlaster 1.5.5 a spammers bulk mail program.

unfortunately i should have realised before i sent the email off that it was a scam, and not mentioned that my brothers a dibble , and just had him go around and nick the scumbag instead, i'll probably never hear from them again now.

Except, a few minutes ago the second powerbook seller i'd emailed just got back to me.

"The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
This machine has been used for professional needs over the past 11 Months, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. The warranty is good until August 2009 and it is fully transferable. One more thing, it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it."

What a coincedence, this person that was in vegas, is also now in the UK, in manchester which isn't all that far from the person now in liverpool, its a small world and they both have powerbooks to sell ! they also have great warranties and run on the US power.

Its probably the same person, and i emailed from the same account but i'll bet they get a lot of replies from hopeful bargain hunters.

Checking the headers, they've gone via safedatacheck.com which is a relaying service among other things, what a suprise.

Somehow i doubt i'll be able to get them to meet up in person with my brother and his friends, but i'm going to give it the old college try.

And all because, apple fibbed about the iphones SDK requirements ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
charliex, you rule. No WONDER you hate Apple. Crippleware is completely bogus. Kudos to you once again for doing the 'undoable' LOL!

charliex said:
Intel Mac needed my arse
Classic!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
...which is always fun since none of their fancy credit card terminals ever seem to work, but they have pretty aqua style buttons so its all good...
Are you talking about the handheld ones that the employes walk around with? Those run WinCE and I am not surprised that they don't work ;)

Now go write some cool iPhone apps for us:clap:

:shift:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah intially the guy with the ipod headphones around his neck, tshirt and jeans who'd been hired from the myspace emo division did fail with the handheld, so they took me to the genius bar and tried that one with the emo girl instead, didn't work either, but they did read me some of their poetry while it was figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts