The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my Exige from a local member with the STG3 FF275 kit with EFI ECU.
I was extremely happy with the power until my business partner received his 06 Viper on Sunday. :mad: Until I can convince him to go to the track with me all I will be seeing is his rear end.

I have dual map capabilities.. Would it be safe to run a higher boost map for short runs? I believe I am currently at 7psi on the 93 octane map.

Also, what needs to be done to get to around 350whp? I realize I will need a built motor. I don't mind spending the money to purchase a built block, although I don't know how extreme I need to go to get the 350whp mark. Aside from the motor, which turbo would put me there without inducing too much lag. The FF275 kit has virtually no lag, should I expect much more with a larger turbo. I had a GT30r Subaru STI, which I switched turbo's on three times until I ended up with something that was a good balance of power/driveability.

Thanks, I will do some more searching as well.... I know it's just the straight line, but I will be hearing it from him every day from now until I can actually keep up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the truth is you spend min 8k+ easy, to upgrade to 350 whp (new clutch, motor, tuning, install). BTW 350 hasnt even been achieved yet to my knowledge. None the less you dump all that money in to keep up, and he throws on a blower or turbo kit for that matter and you are back in the dust... To be honest, he could probably just do bolt-ons.

Just my .02

·
Registered
580 Posts
If the Viper is set up properly for track duty, you'll never see anything but the back end, even on the track. ;) A lot of people underestimate the car as a straight-line-only muscle car. When properly set up, there are very few street cars that'll show it up on a road course.

I don't have a FF setup on my car, but it is quite similar regardless. While I have a larger intercooler, I don't have a problem running 10-12 PSI on pump gas and seeing 250-260 whp. I've pushed it higher on race gas, but above that limit on the stock internals and compression is really pushing your luck.

350 whp isn't happening safely without dropping the compression and ~16-18 psi on a GT28-size turbo.

While you could get there with less boost on a slightly larger turbo, say a GT2876R, you'd be making the power curve pretty ugly for track duty. Hence if you really want 350 at the wheels, you're better swapping pistons and doing it properly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
He is not the type to throw 8-10k for a blower, although he would spend $4-5k on wheels.... I don't mind spending 5-7k to do it(I will do the install, may even build the motor depending on how much it saves me.) I used to rebuild engines with my father before I got tired of getting dirty and went into the IT field for myself.
He will do the bolt-ons(Exhaust, intake, maybe headers... but that's prob. it)

I am trying to convince him to go to a track day at a local track next month.... Hopefully this bug passes over until that time. The engine rebuild will happen sooner or later anyhow, his recent acquisition has just made me want to do it sooner rather than later

*forgot to mention, he is new to track racing so it will be a while before he will be able to keep up there* I am not knocking the viper handling at all, if ACR prices would drop a little I would be the first to purchase one!

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
If I wanted all of that power from the current turbo kit you have, I would build a 2zz short block with an upgraded head to savely rev high, mahle 9:1 pistons, piper stage 3 cams, the new DD performance intake manifold Boosted2.0 and lilrocket made to raise peak torque, Infinity Q45 throttle body, ported head, & drop that sucker right in, and sell the 2zz you have in your car for some money back if the compression is still good. You're already set with the turbo and EFI.

Dude...you live in Houston, TX...PM Boosted2.0 and/or lilrocket asap...he can probably make that happen if you do all the work yourself and sell the 2zz you pull out...

He is actually putting together a 2zz swapped MR2-Spyder that plans on making the power you want out of a Garrett GT28 series turbo, and will be made for track duty. Doesn't hurt to ask him since he should be nearby.

·
Registered
845 Posts
the truth is you spend min 8k+ easy, to upgrade to 350 whp (new clutch, motor, tuning, install). BTW 350 hasnt even been achieved yet to my knowledge. None the less you dump all that money in to keep up, and he throws on a blower or turbo kit for that matter and you are back in the dust... To be honest, he could probably just do bolt-ons.

Just my .02
Frank has a 450+WHP monster.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
it depends on delivery, just because you have 450RWHP doesn't mean you have to use it, we all worked very hard to make sure it maintains driveability, but when you do use it, its there for the taking.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Frank has a 450+WHP monster.
ah well,

that type of HP (in this specific car) and anything over ~300 seems ridiculous, but to some it may seem necessary.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I believe 350 wheel is possible with a TVS and a built motor with proper intercooling. You can get **close** with an MP62 but not 350.

If you really want more power, then you're gonna have to do what Frank is doing and ditch the turbo and get all sorts of new parts, it's a major endeavor.

In either case, you're going to have to address your gearbox, most likely with any more power it will self destruct after some time...all of us on boosted power are actually on borrowed time.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
it depends on delivery, just because you have 450RWHP doesn't mean you have to use it, we all worked very hard to make sure it maintains driveability, but when you do use it, its there for the taking.
I suppose it all depends on the power under the curve. Still, I can see the car getting trounced by a 300 whp version, as the power would probably be a lot more useable.

·
Registered
584 Posts

This is a dyno from our 380 kit...basically upgrade the turbo to a 2871 R(straight bolt on) bigger injectors..fuel pump...built motor. I've had the power up to 395whp...but at those levels other parts of the car began to suffer.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
That doesn't make a lot of sense, since you can control the amount of power with your foot ;) unless you mean with a driver than can't handle it.

it all depends on where, when and how you use it.

I've been in the car a few times street tuning it, its very smooth

we passed 350RWHP a long time, ago and i see casey has posted their map too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
350rwp is completely fine to drive.

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=eddc0645-be37-4d26-9fb4-9aab00b9694e" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Hot-laps-at-Buttonwillow_163644.htm">Hot+laps+at+Buttonwillow</a>

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
That doesn't make a lot of sense, since you can control the amount of power with your foot ;) unless you mean with a driver than can't handle it.
Sure it does, read it again; power is nothing without control. Again, it depends on the power under the curve, the delivery, and the confidence it instills in the driver. I suppose you missed the recent video of the 2Eleven beating the 300hp Atom 'round a track. There is no substitute for confidence.

Still, I haven't driven the 450 whp car, so I can't truly say how bad or good it is, only that in theory, it'd probably be much harder to drive than a 300 whp varient, and end up taxing the driver excessively.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sure it does, read it again; power is nothing without control. Again, it depends on the power under the curve, the delivery, and the confidence it instills in the driver. I suppose you missed the recent video of the 2Eleven beating the 300hp Atom 'round a track. There is no substitute for confidence.

Still, I haven't driven the 450 whp car, so I can't truly say how bad or good it is, only that in theory, it'd probably be much harder to drive than a 300 whp varient, and end up taxing the driver excessively.
A 450HP car is capable of delivering 300HP. You just have to put your foot at the right angle. How difficult it would be to drive depends a bit on how smooth the delivery curve is, how the go-pedal is mapped to the throttle body, and most importantly how well the driver learns the feel and nuance of the combination.

But those things are true regardless of the HP level. The need to have them done well increases as power goes up, of course... but if they are then it shouldn't be a problem.

Another point: So like I said a 450HP car is capable of delivering 300HP. But a 300HP car is NOT capable of delivering 450HP.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts

I've seen videos of the mars landing, miata's beating vipers, etc etc.

You can control the power, thats what the throttle does.

You're basically saying the same thing i am, its not about the car, its about the skill level of the driver, i believe a lesser driver can do better in a miata than a viper.

More power requires more skill.

I'd like to see that same 2-11 driver go up against corvus in the atom.

If the setup is bad its irrelevant to the amount of power, bad is bad, you can still loose control and hit a wall at 160HP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts