The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm posting to the right area.

I want to see if anyone in the California Bay Area has an Arqray Twin exhaust installed in their car for me to hear.
I currently have a 2bular Ultra and am considering the Twin. I've read complaints about it being too loud and wanted to hear it in person before jumping on a purchase. The Ultra is already LOUD for me so I'm looking for something a bit quieter.

I figure "loud" is all relative and personal opinion so I want to hear for myself.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
some guy in the Bay Area had one of those exhausts (possibly for sale).... I'm curious too. Its the best sounding one according to the S111 website, but that is though the crappy speakers on my laptop. I'm interested in hearing it in person as well.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RD, yup, I've already listened to clips. I don't think it helps much.

BatMan, I was interested too because of the one for sale, but I'm not interested in buying-to-try. I've already gone down that road! :p

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've got one on my Elise, but I don't live in the Bay Area any more. Come down to Santa Barbara for a visit and you can hear it.

I bought it after listening to about a half dozen different exhausts at the same track day because I liked the sound the best. Modern Wedgie had one on her car.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe, thanks for the input. Have you ever heard a 2bular Ultra, and if so how would they compare?

Claus - you're killing me! :protfl:panic::p
So I can assume you like your Turbo setup?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey guys, I have one on my S240. I live in Sunnyvale. You can come listen to it...

·
Registered
385 Posts
First time I drove it, I thought it was loud! It has a lot of pops and gurgles. It screams nicely and sounds great in tunnels. Not as deep as I'd like it to be, and drones a bit on the freeway, but I like it. Heard it for the first time at Thunderhill outside of the car when my friend went down the front straight. I was actually disappointed that it wasn't that loud. A Elise there with a BWR kit and a side exit style exhaust was WAY louder...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
sounds like a Sunnyvale get together is in order. we can compare it to my Larini Exhaust.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yup... sounds good. I'm near the BofA on Mathilda. I think I saw you at SVAG.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
when is a good time for you guys? how's about a weekday meet up? I can either meet for lunch or Tue & Thur nights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm down for whatever.. let me know.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I have the stainless steel double tip and live in SF.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
My Arqray Twin developed a rattle just after it's 1 year warranty period -- seems like a weld on the interior baffling had broken (but not sure, just something was rattling around in there). I'm now using a Larini 8". The Arqray Twin sounds nice, but is on the loud side -- I had to use ear plugs when driving from NorCal to SoCal (5 hours) with Arqray Twin + Cat + stock header. But doing the same trip with Larini 8" + no Cat + Weapon R header did NOT require ear plugs.

I'm going to consider muffler replacement a yearly purchase/service item -- all of them seem to degrade pretty quickly and the more one tracks the car the sooner they degrade.

I think Phil (TurboPhil) has some cans that one can actually re-pack (serviceable) -- this is probably the direction I'll eventually go once I burn thru my Larini 8". I think it was carbon fiber can, but don't recall if it was a rivet or threaded for servicing -- rivets aren't a big deal, just drill them out.

It's hard to get any 4 banger to really sound good IMHO. V8, V10, V12 etc. etc. they stir my soul - but 4 and 6 bangers do nothing for me in the singing engine department :)

Rob.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I did the same trip from NorCal to SoCal and back with my twin and it was fine. I did need earplugs the first weekend I got it on a 4 hour drive, but it seems over time it's not as loud. I had a rattle after my diffuser was powdercoated, but it was adjusted. It's definitely too loud for some though, even today.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorinne, is yours the double-tip that exits above the diffuser, or are you talking about the Twin which has two cans and exits in the stock location (thru-the-diffuser)?

I work in SF.

I'll be at Santana Row tonight for dinner if UseYourBrain is around.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts