The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I wouldn't even know where to try to start searching for such a similar thread so hopefully you guys won't flame me if this has been repeated. Recently on my drives... I've noticed that when I take a certain freeway interchange at a spirited speed, there is a brief flash of red from the dash. :shrug:

It only seems to happen when I'm aggressively driving. This is not a hard turn either.. it's a somewhat tight left hander, but again since it's the freeway it's nothing severe.

When I first encountered it, I thought it was the "brake" light warning coming on, but I could never have enough time to actually see which light it was. Has anyone else encountered such a problem where a warning light pops on during hard turns? :huh:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I agree with ace. You're likely going to need new pads very soon. If I were you I'd step away from the computer and check them immediately (check both sides because some have reported very uneven wear).

If those pad touch the discs, they're guaranteed to be shot. In fact, they likely need to be replaced anyway. IIRC, new discs are 24 mm thick, and when they reach 22 mm they are out of spec and are supposed to be replace for the bargain price of $400 each. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
On occasion mine has done has done the same thing. Fast left turn, brief brake warning light. It's happened (maybe) a half dozen times in two years. I'm convinced it's just an over sensitive master cylinder reservoir switch float. I've bled the brakes twice (once a year) and the car only has 6,000 miles on it, Brake fluid is never low and neither the pads nor rotors show much wear.

Randy

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree with ace. You're likely going to need new pads very soon. If I were you I'd step away from the computer and check them immediately (check both sides because some have reported very uneven wear).
And to be specific (with absolutely no intention of being condescending), you need to check both sides of the brakes (inboard and outboard) not just both sides of the car. The outboard pads can look fine and the inboards can be down to the backing plate. Not a happy situation. :(

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It happens because the res is orientated transverly (like the motor) and it was designed to be in line and the sensor (located in the cap) as a result is off to one side. At the proper level it will trigger the light in a hard left hander. Mine was overfull of fluid when I got it and the light did not come on. After flushing and filling to the proper line it started to come on a left hander. Obviously check pad wear, but I would say tadts unless you want to keep it slightly above full.

Ron

·
Registered
433 Posts
momentary brake warning light on left turns

I got rid of the symptom by filling the reservoir to the seam.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Besides the brake fluid level being low, some people have had "dirt" in the contacts in the cap that has also triggered the intermittent light. A cleaning of the cap has been known to cure it if the fluid level is up where it should be and you are getting the lights.

Another more remote possibility is that the switch on the parking brake lever is loose/maladjusted and is triggering the light under cornering. You can usually test this simply by wiggling the parking brake level around and seeing if you can trigger the light (although the switch could still be loose).

Bottom line is to check the fluid level first.
Then the cap.
Then the parking brake switch.

And oh, yea, there have been lots of threads about this already... ;)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
And to be specific (with absolutely no intention of being condescending), you need to check both sides of the brakes (inboard and outboard) not just both sides of the car. The outboard pads can look fine and the inboards can be down to the backing plate. Not a happy situation. :(
Good point! I don't feel as though I've been condecended upon at all :wave:

·
Registered
199 Posts
For my car its my "seatbelt" light. I find that I have to move my seat to a certain position to stop it. There must be a sensor under the seat that is loose.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts

If those pad touch the discs, they're guaranteed to be shot. In fact, they likely need to be replaced anyway. IIRC, new discs are 24 mm thick, and when they reach 22 mm they are out of spec and are supposed to be replace for the bargain price of $400 each. :rolleyes:
If the discs get scored, its ALOT more money to replace them...:shrug:

·
Registered
682 Posts
For my car its my "seatbelt" light. I find that I have to move my seat to a certain position to stop it. There must be a sensor under the seat that is loose.
Yep, that's a very simple connection that you have to undo to take the seat out...can can forget to redo so your light never comes back on. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess i will be topping off my fluid right after i paid someone to do it:rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I was going to post this question today..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts