The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just recently noticed that the warninglight at the dash comes on when making a hard right corner (the same light that the handbrake lights). This is not a problem when cornering to the other side.

Anyone got a hint of what this might come from?

Car: Exige S MY2006

Thanks

·
2006 Exige
672 Posts
If your brake fluid level is fine, there is probably nothing to worry about. Sometimes that sensor gets messed up. This is a very common problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Due to the way the resevoir is installed in our cars, and placement for the sensor (not specifically engineered for our car and reused from another vehicle), hard turns in one direction exposes the sensor to a (most likely) false low fluid warning light.
One direction turning completely covers the sensor, other direction turning completely exposes it. I see it all the time on my 07 Exige.
:tadts:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Be carefull just filling the brake fluid resevoir to the top. It has likely gone down to where it triggers the sensor during hard cornering because your pads are wearing and the pistons sit further out of the caliper which pulls the fluid level down. This is normal. With a topped off resevoir you can run into problems when compressing the piston during a pad change. With the cap on you get a bunch of pressure in the system and can possibly blow the resevoir off the master cylinder and make a huge mess. Cap off, you just overflow and make a huge mess. If you are triggering the light you should check pad wear. If all is to your liking then top off just a little or live with the occasional light until you get fresh pads which is what I am doing right now. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts